Silent Build, LGA 1150 socket

EulersK

Going to get straight to the point. I'm revamping my years-old build to focus more on low noise, and I'm using this build guide as a general... well, guide. I'm not looking to rebuild my entire system, but this motherboard has got to go. I'm currently using an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S, and although it's an absolutely gorgeous board, it's loud. The onboard fans are frankly obnoxious. So, it'll retire to the computer running the television. The guide I referenced before suggested anything from Asus's X99 lineup, but unfortunately for me not a single board in that lineup takes an 1150 CPU (I have an i7 4790K). 

So, the question becomes this. Does anyone know of an LGA 1150 board that has decent passive cooling? And as an added bonus, I'm trying to keep my 4x4GB Corsair Dominator memory. The guide above specifically mentions this memory as having a clearance issue with the CPU cooler. The aesthetic shrouds come off, and I've got no issue ditching them (case has no window after all), but a board where the RAM slots are a decent distance from the socket would be a bonus. 

And yes, yes, yes, I know - all things that would be resolved by just upgrading the system a bit. But to be frank, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Especially since my computer is still plenty powerful for my measly 1080p monitor. If it matters, here is essentially what the computer will end up being. As it stands, I'm looking to just upgrade the case, CPU cooler, and motherboard. The RAM may need to change, but only as a last resort.

Are you referring to a passively cooled system without fans?

The motherboard fan isn't necessary and system airflow should be plenty to cool the board. 

If you want a quiet system without replacing the graphics card coolers, you'll need good airflow so that the graphics card fans don't need to to run as fast. That might mean not going with a case with a closed off front panel like the Silent Base 801. 

What are your current specs? 

Moved to New Builds and Planning. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 2/5/2019 at 6:05 AM, EulersK said:

Going to get straight to the point. I'm revamping my years-old build to focus more on low noise, and I'm using this build guide as a general... well, guide. I'm not looking to rebuild my entire system, but this motherboard has got to go. I'm currently using an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S, and although it's an absolutely gorgeous board, it's loud. The onboard fans are frankly obnoxious. So, it'll retire to the computer running the television. The guide I referenced before suggested anything from Asus's X99 lineup, but unfortunately for me not a single board in that lineup takes an 1150 CPU (I have an i7 4790K). 

So, the question becomes this. Does anyone know of an LGA 1150 board that has decent passive cooling? And as an added bonus, I'm trying to keep my 4x4GB Corsair Dominator memory. The guide above specifically mentions this memory as having a clearance issue with the CPU cooler. The aesthetic shrouds come off, and I've got no issue ditching them (case has no window after all), but a board where the RAM slots are a decent distance from the socket would be a bonus. 

And yes, yes, yes, I know - all things that would be resolved by just upgrading the system a bit. But to be frank, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Especially since my computer is still plenty powerful for my measly 1080p monitor. If it matters, here is essentially what the computer will end up being. As it stands, I'm looking to just upgrade the case, CPU cooler, and motherboard. The RAM may need to change, but only as a last resort.

Are you talking about it's fan? How can a motherboard be noisy? O_o

If it's the fan couldn't you just clean and oil it to make it less noisy?

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

Remove the motherboard armor and small fans. Make sure there is good airflow through the case. Depending on the case and cpu cooler, you might consider a 120mm PWM fan directing air over the VRM.

Is the Silent Base 801 already owned?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.