getting back deleted data on chromeOS

Hi guys, I'm a little stressed right now. I was cleaning out my external hard drive and going through old clips from when I used to play black ops 2. I was moving clips to use for videos into a separate folder with csgo videos, and accidentally deleted the folder. It was a lot of old videos from several years back and some precious stuff I'd love to try and get back. Is there any way I can recover the data? I'm very worried and any help is extremely appreciated! Thank you!!

EDIT: I see a folder titled $RECYCLE.BIN but the folder's content doesn't look useful. Here is a screenshot.

Spoiler

1813153916_Screenshot2019-02-03at6_57_52PM.png.c73133e324170a2ee1a317d02a91d46a.png

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Chrome OS has no way of recovering data unless it was saved to Google Drive, you might be able to recover some or all of the data if you attach the drive to a different OS and use a data recovery tool.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Chrome OS has no way of recovering data unless it was saved to Google Drive, you might be able to recover some or all of the data if you attach the drive to a different OS and use a data recovery tool.

I'll try that with my PC when I have the chance. Thanks!

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

make a image of the drive first.

uhhh how do I go about that? The whole drive is like a terabyte

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

uhhh how do I go about that? The whole drive is like a terabyte

Make a image onto anouther drive. Get a external hdd for backups to use for this if you don't have space. Backups are good.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Make a image onto anouther drive. Get a external hdd for backups to use for this if you don't have space. Backups are good.

FUck. I don't have the space to do this. This drive that I need to recover data on is an external 1tb HDD, and most of my PC is full at the moment.

Should I just backup what I want to keep? Or should I just make an image of the whole thing?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

FUck. I don't have the space to do this. This drive that I need to recover data on is an external 1tb HDD, and most of my PC is full at the moment.

Should I just backup what I want to keep? Or should I just make an image of the whole thing?

Can you get anouther hdd?  You want a full image of the drive

You should really have backed up your files in the first place, now is to late.

How import is the data? If its important id just send it to a recovery service.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you get anouther hdd?  You want a full image of the drive

You should really have backed up your files in the first place, now is to late.

How import is the data? If its important id just send it to a recovery service.

I guess it's not documents or anything, and I'm ok with losing some of my counter strike videos from the past week, but it's my old videos from when I had a terrible high pitched voice of me messing around in call of duty that are very precious to me. It sounds silly, it was only three years ago, but I want to have stuff from my childhood when I'm older.

I might be able to look into some stuff. Theres some stuff on the drive that I can probably do away with, and back the rest up that I need to a different drive that my parents might have or something.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

I guess it's not documents or anything, and I'm ok with losing some of my counter strike videos from the past week, but it's my old videos from when I had a terrible high pitched voice of me messing around in call of duty that are very precious to me. It sounds silly, it was only three years ago, but I want to have stuff from my childhood when I'm older.

I might be able to look into some stuff. Theres some stuff on the drive that I can probably do away with, and back the rest up that I need to a different drive that my parents might have or something.

you can give photorec a shot, but you should make an image first

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can give photorec a shot, but you should make an image first

I have my dad's 1.5gb drive plugged into my PC right now, and for some reason my PC won't boot. The fuck

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

@Electronics Wizardy The disk image has been writing to the HDD for over and hour and a half now, and it says it's 1% done. Is it possible that it's going to slow due to the HDD I'm making an image of being a USB HDD? Also, I think the internal HDD I'm writing to is 5400 RPM. Would that play into it?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

It will take a long time, since it is 1TB,

but unless my math (from the top of my head) is not totally in the wrong, it should be more closer to 1% every 6-10minutes (EDIT: probably wrong, should be way faster. Too busy to check now).

I don't know about Chromebooks, but maybe it has just slow USB ports? Or some are 2.0 while others 3.0? Any other way to connect a hdd? If the copy is slow, the recovery is going to be slow, too!

26 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

It will take a long time, since it is 1TB,

but unless my math (from the top of my head) is not totally in the wrong, it should be more closer to 1% every 6-10minutes.

I don't know about Chromebooks, but maybe it has just slow USB ports? Or some are 2.0 while others 3.0? Any other way to connect a hdd? If the copy is slow, the recovery is going to be slow, too!

I have the seagate external HDD plugged into my PC, not my chromebook. This is my school laptop and I can't get any programs on it.

The external HDD is plugged into my PC with USB 2.0 and is writing to a SATA 1.5tb drive. I went to check on my PC just like an hour ago and for some reason it was still running but both my monitors were staying black. I don't really have to the time to figure it out, but based on the sound of both hard drives, they were still reading and writing data.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

The external HDD is plugged into my PC with USB 2.0 and is writing to a SATA 1.5tb drive. I went to check on my PC just like an hour ago and for some reason it was still running but both my monitors were staying black. I don't really have to the time to figure it out, but based on the sound of both hard drives, they were still reading and writing data. 

USB 2.0 is just going to be too slow for this kind of task. But it should still be faster than what you are experiencing (take something like 5-10 hours to clone the whole disk; as a sidenote, I think my previous calculation was wrong, it should be way faster with USB 3.0 than what I claimed) so maybe something else is wrong or the USB speed is even slower. Doesn't the computer have any USB 3.0 ports? Or, if you have taken the HDD out of the Chromebook, why not connect it directly to the computer?

9 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

USB 2.0 is just going to be too slow for this kind of task. But it should still be faster than what you are experiencing (take something like 5-10 hours to clone the whole disk; as a sidenote, I think my previous calculation was wrong, it should be way faster with USB 3.0 than what I claimed) so maybe something else is wrong or the USB speed is even slower. Doesn't the computer have any USB 3.0 ports? Or, if you have taken the HDD out of the Chromebook, why not connect it directly to the computer?

It is connected to the PC. My motherboard is pretty old, but I think I had one USB port empty. I plugged in into front IO USB 2.0 because I was in a rush to get my data back

Just a heads up, I think you're still getting a little confused. My chomebook, is not what I'm trying to get data from. I have a Seagate BKP Slim external HDD that uses a USB interface. I use it to save videos when I play video games. I had it plugged into my chromebook and was using the chromebook's file manager to clear out old videos I didn't want to keep so I could make room. I accidentally deleted a folder with videos that are very important to me. I currently have the Seagate BKP External HDD plugged into my main "gaming" computer, and I have a program creating an image of the External HDD onto a SATA 3.5" Internal HDD.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra