TS100 bricked - defective unit?

just_dave

Hi,

recently got a TS100. Wanted to change settings in the config file, but when i saved it, the iron was dead and didn't react to 19V power or USB, only the DFU mode worked. I tried flashing the official 2.18 firmware which didnt work. I tried flashing Ralim's 2.05 stable release firmware as well, no luck. Then i tried reflashing the stock bootloader, which succeded but made no change to my situation. Then i tried flashing dapboot, which succeeded too, but now when i want to flash something using dfu-util or webdfu, the iron cannot be detected as DFU capable USB device.

I think it's a defective unit with bad USB implementation, noone has reported such issues yet.聽

Does anyone with more experience have any tips or ideas?聽

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

uh.. contact the manufacturer?

i've sent them a message and asked for replacement STM32 board if it would fix the issue, but i'd like to have the iron back working asap, so i'm asking the community.

4 hours ago, thicc_boi said:

Does anyone with more experience have any tips or ideas?

Does the TS100 have the STM32 SWD-pins available?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Does the TS100 have the STM32 SWD-pins available?

I'm not an expert on micros but seems like so

image.png.7f1c5b29911974e67a257fbaca113765.png

1 minute ago, thicc_boi said:

I'm not an expert on micros but seems like so

SWD works even if you've completely borked the flash's contents. SWD is the method you can take a raw dump of the STM32's flash, test it or flash new stuff on it, but you need a device called ST-Link -- get one off of eBay, Amazon or maybe visit the local hackerspace, if you got one, and ask if someone's got one. The hackerspace-route would probably be easiest, since they can help you with the flashing, too.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

SWD works even if you've completely borked the flash's contents. SWD is the method you can take a raw dump of the STM32's flash, test it or flash new stuff on it, but you need a device called ST-Link -- get one off of eBay, Amazon or maybe visit the local hackerspace, if you got one, and ask if someone's got one. The hackerspace-route would probably be easiest, since they can help you with the flashing, too.

Seems very interesting, how do i access it when the traces lead into a connector (stm32 is mounted on a daughterboard) though.

I'll see what help will amazon and miniware offer. ST link would be the last resort.

9 hours ago, James Evens said:

If it is not turned off. There is a reason why most vendors don't want you to take a look at the source/keys.

The lockbits can only disable you from reading the flash-contents, they do not disable SWD itself nor do they stop you from using SWD to overwrite the flash-contents with your own stuff.

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

"Enabling or disabling write protection can be managed either by embedded user code or by using STM32 ST-Link Utility software and debug interfaces.", ie. it can simply be disabled via SWD and as such everything I said still applies.

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Only at Level 0&1.

Hm, well, looks like all the devices I've had have only used l1, then. I'm not sure what the point is with going with l1 and not l2.

Sooo i fixed it, turns out the dapboot install was 2 step process and i skiped one step.