New GPU - Now CPU overheating

Mikey Bee
Go to solution Solved by Mikey Bee,
4 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

@Mikey Bee I just thought of something. Are either the old or new GPU blower style cards?

I'm closing this.  The new cooler is doing the job.  I really hate those plastic clips on the Intel stock cooler.  There may be other reasons though.  I'm running directly from the hdmi 2,0 port on the card instead of the dvi port -- which I needed to use on the old card to get 60 hrz.   I don't know if that could have effected it.  I may do some more testing.  Sometimes I run two monitors.    Anyway, I'm at 33C now while playing the HD video that had been causing the trouble.     

After upgrading from the oem 760 to a new Zotac 1060 Mini, my CPU is overheating.  Checking around, the general feeling is that the GPU is getting too hot.  What if the old GPU was throttling enough to keep the CPU from using all its potential?  Is that something that could cause a CPU to overheat? getting past a GPU bottleneck?  What can be done?  I'm probably going to return the GPU and get a slower 1050 ti.

What cpu are you using and what are your temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

We need more info bro. Whats your whole system specs? I might be able to provide some insight.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

No, no.  Don't tell us your specs.  Let's turn this into a guessing game thread instead of a troubleshooting thread.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

It started out as an ASUS mda32 with a 4790 CPU and a gtx760.  It's in a Deepcool case now with more fans.  I'm upgrading the Intel stock cooler tomorrow to a Thermaltake Gravity i2 95W Intel LGA 1156/1155/1150/1151 92mm CPU Cooler CLP0556-D.  It's running at normal temps right now in the low 30C, but some YouTube videos make the CPU go over 90C!  I'm running Ubuntu Mate 18.10.  One of my panels shows real time temperature for some components.  When the CPU got really hot, I heard the fans speed up, and I shut the system down; so I don't think I've allowed any damage to occur.  This system never got much above 50C before when I ran CPU intensive tasks like building large packages of code and running AI training on the CPU.    As I said, with the 3GB 760, I never had high temps, even in the shitty ASUS case with no air intake. Now with the new Zotac 3GB 1060 Mini, the temps get extremely high under certain loads.   I have the front panel off the case now, and the air around the GPU doesn't seem to get hot enough to be effecting the CPU's temperature.     

It's ASUS' H81M mobo.  

16GB DDR3

500W power supply

What case and fans are you using? Did you reinstall the cooler before the temps rose?

Are you using default motherboard settings? What's the core voltage set to?

Please use the Edit button instead of making multiple posts if you want to add information.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case and fans are you using? Did you reinstall the cooler before the temps rose?

Are you using default motherboard settings? What's the core voltage set to?

Please use the Edit button instead of making multiple posts if you want to add information.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.It's the DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 ATX Mid-Tower Case Full-size Tempered Motherboard SYNC Contr.  The motherboard is using default settings.  It's a non K CPU, so no overclocking.  The stock cooler is installed, but I plan to upgrade slightly.  I don't like those plastic "feet."   I didn't touch the core voltage.  This ASUS has three settings for power: economy, normal, and performance.  I left it as "Normal."   At least I think those are the category names.  Nevertheless, you should get the idea.  Thanks WoodenMarker.  I'm not sure if mentioning your name counts as a tag.    

1 hour ago, Vegetable said:

We need more info bro. Whats your whole system specs? I might be able to provide some insight.

Thanks, I've added system info.

8 minutes ago, Mikey Bee said:

It's the DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 ATX Mid-Tower Case Full-size Tempered Motherboard SYNC Contr.  The motherboard is using default settings.  It's a non K CPU, so no overclocking.  The stock cooler is installed, but I plan to upgrade slightly.  I don't like those plastic "feet."   I didn't touch the core voltage.  This ASUS has three settings for power: economy, normal, and performance.  I left it as "Normal."   At least I think those are the category names.  Nevertheless, you should get the idea.  Thanks WoodenMarker.  I'm not sure if mentioning your name counts as a tag.    

The Matrexx 55 looks like it has terrible airflow and I wouldn't be surprised if it's worse than the case you had before. What did you have before? Asus MDA32 isn't pulling up any relevant results for me on Google. If there's another name or a link / photo you can post of the case, that would help. 

If you left the core voltage at Auto, it's probably using more voltage than necessary and causing high temps. Setting core voltage manually can generally lead to cooler temps. That being said, it's probably not the culprit if temps were fine before. 

You need to type '@' and a member's name. Select a name from the drop down menu to tag. Like this @Mikey Bee

You can edit in tags if you forgot to as well. 

1 hour ago, nick name said:

No, no.  Don't tell us your specs.  Let's turn this into a guessing game thread instead of a troubleshooting thread.  

Now you shouldn't need to guess.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Matrexx 55 looks like it has terrible airflow and I wouldn't be surprised if it's worse than the case you had before. What did you have before? Asus MDA32 isn't pulling up any relevant results for me on Google. If there's another name or a link / photo you can post of the case, that would help. 

If you left the core voltage at Auto, it's probably using more voltage than necessary and causing high temps. Setting core voltage manually can generally lead to cooler temps. That being said, it's probably not the culprit if temps were fine before. 

You need to type '@' and a member's name. Select a name from the drop down menu to tag. Like this @Mikey Bee

You can edit in tags if you forgot to as well. 

@WoodenMarker  It's not the Matrexx case.  I am running it completely open and having the problem.  There's plenty of air and five additional fans.  And as I said, right now the temps are fine.  It's only certain content that make the temperature get too hot.  Moreover, I used this case for a month with no trouble using the old GPU.  Additionally, the internet has a lot of complaints of higher temperatures after upgrading a GPU; so it's a well known problem.  But thank you for helping.  I do appreciate the effort and your help with using the forum.  

12 minutes ago, Mikey Bee said:

Now you shouldn't need to guess.

Dang it.  I was preparing my guesses.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

16 hours ago, nick name said:

Dang it.  I was preparing my guesses.

I didn't think you actually had anything useful to add.  

You said you are using Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu has always had issues with software fan curves. Does your CPU fan ever ramp up in order to cool the processor when it reaches those high temps?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

New cooler and new application of thermal paste, im interested to see the results of that but no way a new gpu should make your cpu jump like 40 degrees, that doesn't add up to me

14 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

You said you are using Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu has always had issues with software fan curves. Does your CPU fan ever ramp up in order to cool the processor when it reaches those high temps?

@SenpaiKaplan Yes.

13 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

New cooler and new application of thermal paste, im interested to see the results of that but no way a new gpu should make your cpu jump like 40 degrees, that doesn't add up to me

And yet it's common enough.  Do a google search.  Besides, I gave you a possible reason: the old GPU might have been gating.  

@Mikey Bee I just thought of something. Are either the old or new GPU blower style cards?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Both have working fans.   

3 hours ago, Mikey Bee said:

And yet it's common enough.  Do a google search.  Besides, I gave you a possible reason: the old GPU might have been gating.  

Ya I know you said you thought that could be the reason, in my mind I just don’t see it being the cause for THAT high of a jump. I fully admit I could be wrong on that though

4 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I'm closing this.  The new cooler is doing the job.  I really hate those plastic clips on the Intel stock cooler.  There may be other reasons though.  I'm running directly from the hdmi 2,0 port on the card instead of the dvi port -- which I needed to use on the old card to get 60 hrz.   I don't know if that could have effected it.  I may do some more testing.  Sometimes I run two monitors.    Anyway, I'm at 33C now while playing the HD video that had been causing the trouble.     

15 minutes ago, Mikey Bee said:

I'm not sure how to close this?   

Select the most appropriate post and click the 'Mark as Solved' button.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Select the most appropriate post and click the 'Mark as Solved' button.

Thank you.  Cheers!