EVGA CLC 280 high temps

Few months ago, i bought i7 8086K, because i want to achieve 5 Ghz on all cores (i need 1.3 volts for 5 Ghz) , i replace my old TS13X (BXTS13X) (120 mm AIO) with EVGA CLC 280 (280 mm AIO). After some testing, i find out, that EVGA CLC 280, preforms just slightly beter  (2° or. 3° C) then TS13X (BXTS13X).  Average temperature in Far CRY 5 is 80° C, with fans on 100%.

I already replaced pre applied thermal paste, with Arctic MX-4 and see no improvementmy case (MASTERCASE MC600P)  is also well ventilated (case fans are set to 100%), i think that the temps should be at least 10° C lower.

In intel burn test, temperature rise to 90° (with fans on 100%), and it will probaly reach 100°, if i try to finish the test.

So what’s controlling the fans, assuming it isn’t any header on the board going off 

Id assume it’s a bad mount if they are that bad all the time. 

Did you run the cpu at stock speeds?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I control the fans with AI Suite III.

I haven't run the cpu at stock speed yet.

I wil try with fresh mount, and see if that help.

42 minutes ago, svenhassel said:

I control the fans with AI Suite III.

I haven't run the cpu at stock speed yet.

I wil try with fresh mount, and see if that help.

So does the pump plug into anything? Looking at ai suite, it just shows the one header reading a signal. 

So are the fans running with the pump on a single header? What’s controlling the pump?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I plug the pump in the water pump header, i m not sure if i can control the water pump with ai suite, i can only see and control the fan speed.

Just now, svenhassel said:

I plug the pump in the water pump header, i m not sure if i can control the water pump with ai suite, i can only see and control the fan speed.

The pump's speed is negligible, the water pump header is basically just a renamed fan header used to feed power to it.

I know you mentioned that your case is well ventilated but I want to verify, do you see any appreciable difference in temperature from removing the front panel?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

No there is no much difference with or without front panel.

I'm also getting weird sound from one of the fans:

But the biggest problem is cooling performance, in witcher 3, i'm getting temp spikes from 50 to 80 in a few seconds, average temps with my old cooler (TS13X (BXTS13X)) were few degrees higher, but i never have such temp spikes.

You should try reseating the cooler. Make sure that you're gradually tightening in an X-pattern for an even mount. The noise might be due to the fans being mounted in pull. Try mounting them in push instead. You can also try running the fans outside of the case to see if it's just the fans themselves.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, svenhassel said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9zwRZ7qYQ&feature=youtu.be

They're still mounted in pull instead of push in this video. Push / pull is the airflow relative to the rad / heatsink. 

Spoiler

Ivd1g.png

9911feb7_ix6rgy.jpeg

Did you try reseating the cooler? Are you still experiencing temp spikes?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're still mounted in pull instead of push in this video. Push / pull is the airflow relative to the rad / heatsink. 

Reveal hidden contents

Ivd1g.png

9911feb7_ix6rgy.jpeg

Did you try reseating the cooler? Are you still experiencing temp spikes?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The radiator is to big for pull configuration, i also read that its only 1 or. 2 degrees difference between push and pull and pull its better for dust. I reset the cooler, but i see no difference

At 1.3 Volts and 5 Ghz i get instant spikes from 50° C to 75° C in Witcher 3 (same in Far cry 5).

If i set cpu to 1.2 Volts and 4.8 Ghz, spikes almost disappear, but temperature is still to high (from 70-75° C in Far cry 5 and few degrees less in Witcher 3).

4 minutes ago, svenhassel said:

The radiator is to big for pull configuration, i also read that its only 1 or. 2 degrees difference between push and pull and pull its better for dust. I reset the cooler, but i see no difference

At 1.3 Volts and 5 Ghz i get instant spikes from 50° C to 75° C in Witcher 3 (same in Far cry 5).

If i set cpu to 1.2 Volts and 4.8 Ghz, spikes almost disappear, but temperature is still to high (from 70-75° C in Far cry 5 and few degrees less in Witcher 3).

Those are pretty normal temps considering the voltage. 

Are temps spiking up and down between 50 and 75c or just staying high once it gets there? 

Sudden temp spikes with a water cooler would suggest to me there's some kind of issue with the water block to IHS contact. I know you said you reseated it but that doesn't mean it's making good contact or that the thermal paste is applied well enough. A water cooling loop should see slower changes in CPU temp due to the thermal mass of the water slowing the oscillations when heat is applied from the CPU. What you need is Prussian Blue or something similar to check for high spots and gaps in contact. https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80038-Prussian-Fitting-Compound/dp/B000HBM86Q/

Machinists apply that to a surface, mate the parts, then look for transfer of the blue compound indicating high spots and then the absence of blue compound showing low spots. If you have poor contact it may be good enough with the thermal compound at lower temps to keep the CPU cool but at high temps the added resistance of the thicker layer of thermal compound may be too great to keep the whole CPU cooled. Can you view the per core temps in Intel XTU and see if it's any particular core spiking or the whole package temp spiking?

Temps are spiking up and down, higher the voltage higher the spikes.

Its possibile that to much thermal compund causes the spikes?

I guess i will just buy https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-Esports-ONE-Processor/dp/B076LQ2BJZ, and see the difrence.

Other problem is the heat that came through the radiator, its like electric heater, im not sure how im going to use my computer in the summer.

I wish your cooler had a temp probe in the radiator so you can see the difference between the water returning to the CPU and the CPU temps, I guess it's possible you're saturating the ability of the cooling system. Can you review the directions and make sure you didn't miss any steps?

https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/EVGA_CLC_Kit_Manual.pdf

https://www.evga.com/products/pdf/400-HY-CL28-V1.pdf

The above PDF seems to indicate that the pump software is needed to control the coolant pump speeds and fan speeds properly, I didn't see that on the screen while you shot your video. Did you install the pump software? (And to be honest, that's crappy because what if you're not running Windows OS?)

Well it shows him using ai suite, which already doesn’t read cpu temps correctly. 

Should get real temp. I’d hook the usb dongle up and get the evga software and trouble shoot some more. 

Also was the thermal paste spread ever checked, don’t think I’ve seen a pick of that yet. 

I'm fairly sure something is wrong in the initial setup/installation of the cooling system. I had a "130W" Prescott 3.4E at 4Ghz for a LONG time on a triple 80mm Koolance system using 1/4 inch tube. Now I realize that current Intel TDP is just an 'average' figure not a max like it used to be, so all 4 cores going at 5Ghz is going to well above 95W

https://koolance.com/pc2-601bw-liquid-cooling-system-black

The EVGA CLC 280 surely must be leaps and bounds better than that old boat anchor. That PC2 kept the 4Ghz Prescott cooled off just fine with temps in the mid 60's, I can't imagine his 8086K pushing over 200W of heat and saturating a cooling loop that's properly operating. I also can't imagine that loop only having a 200W capacity but maybe I'm expecting too much from a prebuilt? It would be nice if more cooling solutions stated the specified cooling capacity in watts and the expected delta t at that wattage.

I install evga flow control (very buggy software,i expect something better from evga) yesterday, and see no improvement.

I reapplied thermal compound 3 times, and i'm sure that its ok (i also carefully tight the screws).

Today i change position of the fans (now they are push fresh air from the top of the case through the radiator).  Temps on idle around 30° C, but even on idle it sometimes jump to 45 °C  (1.2 Volts and 4.8 Ghz).

AI Suite is only good for one thing, fan speed control, and that doesn't even work correctly all the time. How OEM's are so bad at producing reliable software for their own hardware assemblies just baffles me.

I wonder if it's possible your CPU has a bad thermal sensor, can you view per core temps in Intel XTU and compare that to the package temp reading?

So what’s the actual issue? Temp spikes will always be a thing. Did you adjust pump speed if it lets you? Did you connect the usb for the pump?

Did you use another program to check temps?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

AI Suite is only good for one thing, fan speed control, and that doesn't even work correctly all the time. How OEM's are so bad at producing reliable software for their own hardware assemblies just baffles me.

I wonder if it's possible your CPU has a bad thermal sensor, can you view per core temps in Intel XTU and compare that to the package temp reading?

In stock settings i see no spikes, so i guess that the thermal sensor should be ok.

59 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So what’s the actual issue? Temp spikes will always be a thing. Did you adjust pump speed if it lets you? Did you connect the usb for the pump?

Did you use another program to check temps?

It's not just temp spikes, i also think that the average temps are too high.

In games im using MSI after burner and core temp in other tests. 

Just now, svenhassel said:

In stock settings i see no spikes, so i guess that the thermal sensor should be ok.

It's not just temp spikes, i also think that the average temps are too high.

In games im using MSI after burner and core temp in other tests. 

That only answers about half. Also what are you basing the temps being to high off? Compared to what exactly?

10 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

That only answers about half. Also what are you basing the temps being to high off? Compared to what exactly?

My old TS13X (BXTS13X) in smaller case, perform only about 5 degrees worse (the difference between those two coolers should be around 15-20 degrees). 

I will buy https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-Esports-ONE-Processor/dp/B076LQ2BJZ, if the difference will be 10 degrees or. less, then i will now for sure, that it's something wrong with my clc 280.

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well it shows him using ai suite, which already doesn’t read cpu temps correctly. 

Should get real temp. I’d hook the usb dongle up and get the evga software and trouble shoot some more. 

Also was the thermal paste spread ever checked, don’t think I’ve seen a pick of that yet. 

I always use too much paste, but i think that spreading should be good.

IMG_20190203_194658.jpg

IMG_20190203_194847.jpg