laptop no longer turns on after replacing the hinge

heeroyuy79

so the laptop is a clevo P170sm-a

the hinge snapped so i got a new one and in order to replace it i had to take the entire laptop apart see page 52 of this manual here here

so i put it all back together and managed to fuck up the ribbon cable for the power button and status (caps lock etc) lights see this image here by not realising that there was a retaining latch i needed to pull out first

i got the pins back into place so they are no longer touching each other (double checked with a magnifying glass) and it still won't turn on

when on battery power only it just turns on dvd drive and fans make noises and then it turns off see gif here

when plugged in it will just endlessly power cycle see video here

when removing the top cover i had to take off the heatsink for the GPU and CPU i re-did the paste with thermal grizzly kryonaut and i have double checked the fans they are plugged in

anyone got any idea as to what could be buggered and how i might fix? i really don't want to have to buy a new laptop

even some things to do to try and troubleshoot this would be helpful as i don't even know where to start with this laptop

OK, I would first try some basic steps just to rule them out.

1st try taking out and reseating your RAM, you would be shocked how often that helps. (also did you have to take out your CPU when you applied your liquid metal?)

2nd I would then check to see if the screen is correctly connected, I have seen some laptops in the past not boot at all if it doesn't pick up some resistance or signal from the LCD (a more famous example is the Nintendo DS, if the ribbon cable is damaged to one of the screens or not connected correctly it will just turn itself back off)

3rd it might be worth replacing that power button board it might actually be stuck trying to press the power button and also check the connector to see if there is anything stuck in it

11 minutes ago, KouenHasuki said:

OK, I would first try some basic steps just to rule them out.

1st try taking out and reseating your RAM, you would be shocked how often that helps. (also did you have to take out your CPU when you applied your liquid metal?)

2nd I would then check to see if the screen is correctly connected, I have seen some laptops in the past not boot at all if it doesn't pick up some resistance or signal from the LCD (a more famous example is the Nintendo DS, if the ribbon cable is damaged to one of the screens or not connected correctly it will just turn itself back off)

3rd it might be worth replacing that power button board it might actually be stuck trying to press the power button and also check the connector to see if there is anything stuck in it

1. according to thermal grizzly kryonout is non conductive i did not take the CPU out of its socket or the GPU MXM board out (i will try reseating the ram)

2. should i try unplugging the monitor cable?

3. i have no idea how i should go about this i could always buy a new one from the place i got the hinge from but if laptop is kill i don't really want to spend more money (is there a way i might be able to make the laptop start up without the power button?)

You could try taking out the monitor cable, see if it powers up if it doesn't try putting it back in and make sure its in securely and try again.

I do agree on not putting money in needlessly, you would have to weigh up if its worth it to you though we should try everything we can before buying anything but if this is something you know has been damaged it can't be ignored as a possibility (though you might be able to save some money at least by going to eBay or similar by searching for "Clevo P170sm power button") 

1 hour ago, KouenHasuki said:

You could try taking out the monitor cable, see if it powers up if it doesn't try putting it back in and make sure its in securely and try again.

I do agree on not putting money in needlessly, you would have to weigh up if its worth it to you though we should try everything we can before buying anything but if this is something you know has been damaged it can't be ignored as a possibility (though you might be able to save some money at least by going to eBay or similar by searching for "Clevo P170sm power button") 

unplugged the monitor cable and it still won't turn on (i have also unplugged the battery and the CMOS battery pressed the power button left it for an hour or so and then tried it all again)

3 hours ago, KouenHasuki said:

Also same reaction when you plug it back in?

yes

Glad to hear your up and running :D Sometimes ram can get bumped and not have a good connection so its always my 1st point of checking :)