Questions on viruses

I hear a lot about how viruses can automatically install themselves onto your computer without you even knowing. How does it do this without having the popup on where to install the file.

Because whoever programs it doesnt give a shit where it goes but as long as its on your system

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

14 minutes ago, XXX_ROCKS_XXX said:

I hear a lot about how viruses can automatically install themselves onto your computer without you even knowing. How does it do this without having the popup on where to install the file.

You can program the virus to install wherever you want(usually most do somewhere in C drive).Look typically programs doesnt have to show where to install files location popup,most programs give people option to install it to an another drive.TPSC(a yt channel about cybersecurity)said 40-60% of viruses fail if your OS drive isnt C drive

9 minutes ago, akialwayz said:

You can program the virus to install wherever you want(usually most do somewhere in C drive).Look typically programs doesnt have to show where to install files location popup,most programs give people option to install it to an another drive.TPSC(a yt channel about cybersecurity)said 40-60% of viruses fail if your OS drive isnt C drive

I thought everything that is installed through the browser has to have the box that asks me where i want to install. 

I think most virus still needs to be execute somehow to harm anything.

I dont use any antivirus for 10 yrs and were only infected by some fishy exe files and IE.

3 minutes ago, XXX_ROCKS_XXX said:

I thought everything that is installed through the browser has to have the box that asks me where i want to install. 

No it doesnt have to.Once you run the infected program it is free to do what it wants.For example,if you run geforce experiance program from nvidia(not a virus,genuine program),it'll ask you whether install in recommended setting or custom setting.If you choose recommended,it will install on your c drive without asking you but if you choose custom,it'll ask you where to install.

Just now, akialwayz said:

No it doesnt have to.Once you run the infected program it is free to do what it wants.For example,if you run geforce experiance program from nvidia(not a virus,genuine program),it'll ask you whether install in recommended setting or custom setting.If you choose recommended,it will install on your c drive without asking you but if you choose custom,it'll ask you where to install.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I think most virus still needs to be execute somehow to harm anything.

I dont use any antivirus for 10 yrs and were only infected by some fishy exe files and IE.

22 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Because whoever programs it doesnt give a shit where it goes but as long as its on your system

Crap I really should have been more specific, although the information you guys provided still taught me stuff. I meant from like a browser how does it get on the computer.

Install Comodo Firewall free. Enable HIPS, configure everything and you'll be alerted by any program that wants to be executed.