Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC Buzzing/Coil Whine?

Ektelion

Anyone with a similar card epxeriencing this kind of problem? 

My build is very silent based and the only thing i hear from the case itself is this buzzing noise when its working idle.

Don't get me wrong it's not very loud, but its there.

Is it common for the card to sound like this? 

Sorry for the mic quality from phone.

Just now, Slottr said:

Yeah thats coil whine, and yeah its common across the board 

So, what if i RMA it to get a GPU which has none at all? Is it so common that i might get into another one?

Or maybe they don't even accept RMA for coil whine?

I know this is not harmful for the GPU but come on, 1500 euros for a GPU with coil whine? who would accept this?

1 minute ago, Ektelion said:

So, what if i RMA it to get a GPU which has none at all? Is it so common that i might get into another one?
Or maybe they don't even accept RMA for coil whine?
I know this is not harmful for the GPU but come on, 1500 euros for a GPU with coil whine? who would accept this?

I had a card a few years ago that had pretty bad coil whine, they accepted it for RMA. In return I got a card which was better, but a whine was still present.

Its not that loud and honestly I wouldn't worry about it in your case.

1500 euros yeah, but its one of the most common things with video cards. Write Asus a stern email about it

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i have the same card and mine is way louder, i think yours isn't ''that'' bad, i would not RMA it just because you're probably get a new one  that's even worse.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

It isn't a design or quality issue but you can RMA it. There's a decent chance that the new one is louder. 

If you need to make it quieter, watch Buildzoid's recent video on how to fix coil whine (take the card apart and basically goop RTV silicon around the sides of the VRM inductors, allowing it to cure to hold their components in place and prevent rattling which is what you're hearing). 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

I decided not to bother and live with it i guess, dont wanna get into worse piece and don't wanna remain without a gpu for 1 month till this gets solved out, i already waited 3 months for it to arrive, now that i have it wanna enjoy it to the max.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for replying 6 months later, but I have a suggestion that worked for me and might work for you. It's not quite clear from your video, but if I'm not mistaken, it seems you have the card running with 1 stock pcie power cable from the psu accessories kit. I have a strix 2070 with a rm750x that also whined. I ended up running power to the card with 2 separate cables on 2 separate rails instead of through 1 that split to an 8 and 6 pin. This effectively killed the whine and dwarfed it to a very faint high pitch sound.

I had to on 4 cards amd what I do is load csgo ultra low setting look at sky so u got 100 million fps and let it scream for a few hours 

Then going back to normal gaming it went away or got a lot better for me 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper