9700k or 9900k

Olli_
Go to solution Solved by bowrilla,
1 hour ago, Olli_ said:

Hi, well I will have the money for my build in a month or so. Not sure if I can wait 6 months for Ryzen. I was going to pair either cpu with a 2080 ti so would the 9900k be a better pair? Thanks for the help

If you have the budget for a 2080Ti and don't want to wait until June/July, go for the 9900k. Everything else is kind of a mismatch. You'll be paying quite a big premium for the last 20% or so. You can have a great gaming and system for like 2000 US-$ with a 2080 and a cheaper CPU (either 2700x or 9700k). With a 9900k and a 2080Ti you're more looking at the 2800-3000$ range. If you're willing to pay that much: go for it. That system will last quite a while though there will probably no upgrade path on the CPU side.

Hi,

I am having a difficult time on choosing between these two.  I will be using my pc for 4K gaming and drawing within photoshop other programs and using some music production software. And also will like to use vr as well. Is there a big difference between these two to justify the price or not really? I would like to overclock as well. I’ve heard the 9900k gets quite hot is this true?

I also am not sure on what motherboard would be best for these two cpus.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Get the 9900k bro u won’t look back

as for mobo I hear ASU’s dropped the ball this time on there high end so a high end msi or tachi or vega board will surve u well

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Well. When do you need it and are both in budget without skimping on other stuff? If you need it now or within a month and you can afford the 9900k, sure, go ahead and get one. It's the best performing CPU out there. If you can wait ~5 months, wait for Ryzen 3 and see how it performs. If you need it now and the budget doesn't allow for a 9900k without shifting the budget away from other components (like GPU, memory, SSD) then consider Ryzen 7 2700(x) or the 9700k. The 9700k will be a bit better at gaming (though at 4k the CPU has marginal influence, this is GPU limited) but the 2700(x) will be better at doing other stuff (in parallel) thanks to being 8c/16t as opposed to 8c/8t for the 9700k (great move, Intel, great move to screw people over).

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I’d get the 9900k for it’s hyperthreading. If you can wait like 6 months for Zen 2 it might be better, they showed off an 8 core 16 thread ryzen matching a 9900k at cinebench while drawing half the power. Lisa Su mentioned that 8 cores isn’t the max that mainstream ryzen would have so it’s likely that’s a ryzen 5 chip

I agree with what others are saying.

I've actually got a 9900k so can speak on it's heat.

Is it hot? Yes but not excessively so. For me it averages around 50c with a delta of about 10c under typical load.

When I push it easily gets to 95-100c across all cores.

Keep in mind it's summer here in Aus and ambient temps in my room are reaching 40c on occasion.

The performance hit from it throttling can be noticeable but it's not substantial.

So just make sure you've got a beefy cooler.

-アパゾ

39 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Well. When do you need it and are both in budget without skimping on other stuff? If you need it now or within a month and you can afford the 9900k, sure, go ahead and get one. It's the best performing CPU out there. If you can wait ~5 months, wait for Ryzen 3 and see how it performs. If you need it now and the budget doesn't allow for a 9900k without shifting the budget away from other components (like GPU, memory, SSD) then consider Ryzen 7 2700(x) or the 9700k. The 9700k will be a bit better at gaming (though at 4k the CPU has marginal influence, this is GPU limited) but the 2700(x) will be better at doing other stuff (in parallel) thanks to being 8c/16t as opposed to 8c/8t for the 9700k (great move, Intel, great move to screw people over).

Hi, well I will have the money for my build in a month or so. Not sure if I can wait 6 months for Ryzen. I was going to pair either cpu with a 2080 ti so would the 9900k be a better pair? Thanks for the help

21 minutes ago, Olli_ said:

yes

46 minutes ago, APasz said:

I agree with what others are saying.

I've actually got a 9900k so can speak on it's heat.

Is it hot? Yes but not excessively so. For me it averages around 50c with a delta of about 10c under typical load.

When I push it easily gets to 95-100c across all cores.

Keep in mind it's summer here in Aus and ambient temps in my room are reaching 40c on occasion.

The performance hit from it throttling can be noticeable but it's not substantial.

So just make sure you've got a beefy cooler.

Thanks for the advice, the cooler was another problem but will have to look more into it.

1 hour ago, Olli_ said:

If you have the budget for a 2080Ti and don't want to wait until June/July, go for the 9900k. Everything else is kind of a mismatch. You'll be paying quite a big premium for the last 20% or so. You can have a great gaming and system for like 2000 US-$ with a 2080 and a cheaper CPU (either 2700x or 9700k). With a 9900k and a 2080Ti you're more looking at the 2800-3000$ range. If you're willing to pay that much: go for it. That system will last quite a while though there will probably no upgrade path on the CPU side.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!