I need CPU Knowledge help from anyone EXCEPT LINUS

Kyuubi43

To Everyone.....EXCEPT LINUS(Mister livin' in the [bizarre yet awesome] Canada clone of my area. Seriously the cities around you are identically and/or closely named to the ones around me in the Olde VA of USA)

I am currently trying to build a low cost Gaming PC to upgrade from my laptop. I have a good idea for most the parts I need but the 'core' problem is just that the bleedin' Core, the CPU. I would honestly like a Core that does 3.6 to 4.0 GHz (out-of-the-box) with at least 4 to 6 cores (w/multi-threading) but I don't have $400+ to spend on just a CPU. I am not Gen savvy enough to know what I can buy without burning almost all my budget on the Core. I've been using Space Engineers System Specs as a guide line as that's what really prompted the want for an upgrade (my laptop is just shy of listed minimum spec and has a heart attack when running SE at lowest settings). I want to be able to run SE at Mid Settings (good quality and performance). Honestly once I can decide on a Core the Motherboard will be no problem as I will FINALLY have a Form Factor to work with.

Seriously I already have my case, storage, GPU(going predator on ebay and craigslist for this part), and power supply picked out. I just need a form factor for the CPU so I can decide the M-Board which will let me figure out the right DDR4 I need (as I am OCD with RAM Specs for some oddball reason).

Here is one of my blunders at Part Selection (I believe everything selected is of the current gen of hardware so......yeah.) BUTCHER AS YOU WILL....Please and Thank You. I have no experience with AMD and will welcome help from the better informed. 

Altissia

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B360 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Rosewill - NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Id get a i5 8400 here or a ryzen 2600, the 8350k doesn't make sense as you can't oc it here.

Id get a cheaper sata ssd here.

Id get a rx570, good amount faster, not much more money.

PSU is a bit overkill for a budget pc.

I don't trust myself with OC as I've got no XP at it. 

I kinda chose the PSU based on the fact I wanted to eventually get better parts over time as I could afford them.

7 minutes ago, Kyuubi43 said:

I don't trust myself with OC as I've got no XP at it. 

I kinda chose the PSU based on the fact I wanted to eventually get better parts over time as I could afford them.

If you don’t wanna overclock, don’t get a K model, but I suggest a Ryzen 5 2600 

and for for a bit more, you could get an rx 580 8gb

yiu don’t need 80+ gold PSU, bronze should work fine

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I found the cheap 

AMD - FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor

But the AM3+ form factor is DDR3 and I was trying for DDR4.

I did try build a PC with it though.

Altissia-AMD

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DNRWTB
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DNRWTB/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: AMD - Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler  ($42.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus - M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($62.00 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - AEGIS 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.90 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill - NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $578.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 18:07 EST-0500

the GPU may change as the Price shown will change within 5 days of this post. It's on sale right now.

1.  I have never seen Linus comment in the forums so you're title is pointless.

2.  It's pretty rude to ask for help from anyone except the proprietor of the site you're seeking help on.  

3.  Form factor describes ATX, mini ATX, micro ATX, ITX, etc.  Basically motherboard size and isn't CPU dependent.  

4.  Socket is the pertinent word you're looking for with Intel being more where socket types vary generation to generation.  You did correctly note the socket for an AMD FX 8350, however.

5. Chipset is something else you may want to familiarize yourself with.

My recommendation would be an AMD 2600 and an RX 570 or 580.  If you're comfortable buying used then I would start there to save a few dollars.  A cheap B350 or B450 will suit your needs just fine or perhaps a used X370.  Take a look on eBay and see what catches your eye.  Maybe you'll get lucky and find a cheap bundle.  Lastly, do not buy a separate AMD stock cooler.  If you're gonna spend that much go with something better.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($67.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Mini Dark TG MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($95.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $711.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-25 00:41 EST-0500

You can also switch to a 2400G with integrated graphics and skip the GPU for now until you can afford a good one or find a good deal on a used one. Will save you 200 bucks. Don't buy additional coolers. The stock one is okay and you don't want to overclock so nevermind anyways.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($67.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Patriot - Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Mini Dark TG MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($95.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $506.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-25 00:43 EST-0500

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

10 hours ago, Kyuubi43 said:

I found the cheap 

AMD - FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core Processor

But the AM3+ form factor is DDR3 and I was trying for DDR4.

The thing about an FX-8350 is that it's not as simple as "higher clock speeds are better." The micro-architecture of the CPU tends to be more directly related to how powerful and efficient it can be than just how high it's clocked. The FX-8350 was released over 6 years ago, and it was infamous for running very hot, consuming a lot of power, and, most importantly, not being a great value. Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily a bad processor, especially considering the fact that a brand new one is only $70 today, but there are a TON of compromises you're making by choosing it over something newer. No DDR4 Ram, no upgradability whatsoever (the FX-9590 has a TDP of 220W and would not run on the motherboard you picked or any new motherboard that's worth it's cost now,) SATA at only 3G which would cut the transfer speed of any modern SATA SSD you could get by as much as half, no M.2 if you ever decided down the line that you wanted faster storage, and I have never owned an FX-8350 so I'm not too familiar with it's thermal needs but at a TDP of 125W and a thermal limit of I believe 75C, you're likely going to have to overspend on cooling in order to keep it running without thermal throttling (though to be fair I don't know this for sure.) If you are on a very tight budget and you want to buy new, you can get better gaming performance at a similar cost with a Ryzen 3 2200G and eliminate all of those compromises (though if you can afford the extra cost I agree with the others that a 2400G or 2600 would be a good choice.) Otherwise, if you don't mind the old tech limitations and you're ok with buying used, you can get really good deals on old pre-built systems from HP and Dell and easily get 2nd or 3rd gen i5-i7 CPU's with the motherboard, ram, and case (if you don't care about case aesthetics) already included for a similar price to a 2400G alone. All you'd have to do is slap in an SSD and probably a better HDD, get a less sketchy power supply, throw in a graphics card, and it would kick the crap out of an 8350. But regardless of what you do, there are many better options than an 8350.