How to determine a good GPU ?

dgsddfgdfhgs

I suddenly came up with this question in general, not looking for upgrades or specific cards.

everyone has their own preference when it comes to their best brand.

Lets ignore cooling and designs first as this relates to specific product line and reviews.

when it comes to best, First this is what I come up in my mind:

Amd: Sapphire (wow its a HK company ^^)

Nvidia: zotac, gigabyte, evga

then Asus considering its price premium ...

but when asking why?, I really cant get any idea how one is better than another.... just religious? 

eg. everyone saying like evga have good customer service, but how much better than others? (sadly its not official sold to me region...)

6 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Sapphire has a pretty good record with AMD GPUs (I want the Toxic branding to come back damnit), same with XFX.

almost got a 280x toxic but then gtx900 series comes up, sorry sapphire

How to know if a GPU is good or bad: Google. 

If a GPU is a jet engine (e.g. reference R9 290X), the GPU is not great

If a GPU consumes more heat than a competitors card while delivering the same performance (e.g. Vega 56/64), the GPU is not great

If a GPU costs more than a competitor while delivering the same performance (e.g. GTX 780), the GPU is not great

If a GPU is new and costs less than USD 50 (e.g. Nividia 600/700 series GT cards), the GPU is not great

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

almost got a 280x toxic but then gtx900 series comes up, sorry sapphire

had one of those, was dead tho. cooler was massive...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Basically just read and watch reviews.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Basically just read and watch reviews.

reviews sure, but it hard to cover durability and how much better is the quality over another...

3 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

reviews sure, but it hard to cover durability and how much better is the quality over another...

You can tell by the amount of complaints or problems in the customer reviews sections of websites.

You can also find posts on reddit or forums about good or bad experiences people have with certain cards or brands.

This is called doing research before buying something.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020