Starting the planning for a new Build, recommendations welcome.

Hey everyone!

So, I'm thinking about making a new build, as my current one is starting to feel old and preventing me to play or properly enjoy certain games.

My current build is:

• MB: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
  • GPU: GTX 1050 ti
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3

Budget/Location: I live in Ontario, Canada. As for a budget, I don't really have one. I have pretty much nothing saved for this particular expense, so I'd be working towards it in the coming months.

Aim: Mostly gaming, though I plan to work as an Indie game developer in this machine, so there's that.

Monitors/Peripherals: I plan on keeping all my peripherals and monitors. I have two 1080p (1920x1080) monitors, both connected to my dedicated gpu. I have been thinking about maybe getting a 144hz monitor, but i've never used one, so I don't really know if they are worth it, not really planning for one right now.

As of right now, I'm thing of upgrading to the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.56 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $894.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-22 04:15 EST-0500

I plan on using the same SSDs and HDDs, Monitors and Peripherals and Case. I'm not sure If I can use the same PSU, but I'm almost certain that is has a 700w output, which should be more than enough. I have no problem on adding a case and a PSU on the budget if a need to. Now, I've never actually put a computer together myself, so I just picked some compatible parts that would add up to an amount I felt comfortable spending. I make this post basically to get opinions or recommendations on the components that I chose. I do have some wiggle room, but not a lot, I don't want to end up getting all the components by next year.

Also, do I have to individually buy psu/sata cables and thermal paste? or does all of that come with the corresponding parts?

So, what do you think? Thanks in advance!

you are on the right track, keep planning till zen2 arrives and gpu , ssd prices stabilize (r5 3600 / rtx2060/70)

your rig will still be a great secondary pc, I suggest leaving everything as it is and build new by that time

For gaming, the upgrade towards i7 4790 is enough really. Ryzen isn't that better for money spent (extra mobo, DDR4 ram)

700w is enough wattage wise, but may not quality wise. It is fine powering an i5 and a GTX 1050ti cause they are low powered, not sure of how good they are for a GTX 1070

11 minutes ago, ZChang [ByFr] said:

Also, do I have to individually buy psu/sata cables and thermal paste? or does all of that come with the corresponding parts?

No. All PSU have cases with them. Same goes to the included cooler for the CPU have paste with them. Unless buying used then you would want to double check for that.

The 1070 for 450 $ is way to expensiv considering the 2060 exists and the Windforce Gigabyte 2070 is only 30 $ more with 479.99$. 

What 700 W PSU? There are huge quality differences and the raw Wattage doesn't mean anything. 

Consider a high end B450 over a low end X470, i don't know anything bad over the MSI board but if you don't need SLI the B450 Chipset is what you should look at.

SATA cables are included with the motherboard. If you get a CPU cooler there is usually Thermal Paste pre-applied

19 minutes ago, not_deXxterlab97 said:

For gaming, the upgrade towards i7 4790 is enough really. Ryzen isn't that better for money spent (extra mobo, DDR4 ram)

700w is enough wattage wise, but may not quality wise. It is fine powering an i5 and a GTX 1050ti cause they are low powered, not sure of how good they are for a GTX 1070

No. All PSU have cases with them. Same goes to the included cooler for the CPU have paste with them. Unless buying used then you would want to double check for that.

I had though about just upgrading towards the i7-4790k, but the idea of upgrading everything feels better for some reason. If adding a ram stick, a new gpu and a i7 4790k does the trick, I might just do that. Also, I was hoping that getting a new MB would make things easier further along if I wanted to upgrade again.

14 minutes ago, Manderis said:

The 1070 for 450 $ is way to expensiv considering the 2060 exists and the Windforce Gigabyte 2070 is only 30 $ more with 479.99$. 

What 700 W PSU? There are huge quality differences and the raw Wattage doesn't mean anything. 

Consider a high end B450 over a low end X470, i don't know anything bad over the MSI board but if you don't need SLI the B450 Chipset is what you should look at.

SATA cables are included with the motherboard. If you get a CPU cooler there is usually Thermal Paste pre-applied

Truth is I didn't really check the newer nvidia cards, that's on me. I just assumed they would be all super expensive and out of stock right now. I'll compare those, it sounds promising. 

As for the MB, If the price is the almost the same, is there some important reason why? I mean, I'm all for saving a couple bucks, I just want to understand the reasoning.

Thanks for your responses!

11 minutes ago, ZChang [ByFr] said:

As for the MB, If the price is the almost the same, is there some important reason why? I mean, I'm all for saving a couple bucks, I just want to understand the reasoning.

As I understand the X470 only offers SLI and the MSI one you posted doesn't support it for some reason or the pcpp stats are wrong. Maybe better VRM's?

There are people here on the forum who can elaborate better. 

The Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($119.89 @ OutletPC) has SLI and is slightly cheaper.