CPU Architecture

Wondering if I should save up for Intels 7nm or buy a 9th gen or 8th gen i5 6 core CPU. Orrrr buy a 3rd gen Ryzen 3 orrrr just buy a Ryzen 2600 for now and upgrade later down the line. (Mostly for gaming and possibly some video editing.)

intel's 7nm i still quite some ways away, so it depends.
What do you plan on doing and would it be worth the long wait (intel's 10nm still has to get to  market...)

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

1 minute ago, Martijn Klerks said:

intel's 7nm i still quite some ways away, so it depends.
What do you plan on doing and would it be worth the long wait (intel's 10nm still has to get to  market...)

They will be launching like near the end of 2019 right? Playing triple A games and some light video editing. More of a gamer than a content creator but I would like to try some video making.

Ryzen 7nm is right around the corner; Intel 10nm is still to come to life...

Yet to see with my own eyes what Ryzen 7nm can do performance-wise but it's a no-brainer you'd get Ryzen 7nm over going with what Intel decides to do after their scraps of '9th-gen' CPUs.

More cores, presumably faster cores, better price, and a promising future, you'd be nuts to not go Ryzen 7nm.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

7nm is going to be a few years out for intel. They are still trying to come to market with 10nm.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

They will be launching like near the end of 2019 right? Playing triple A games and some light video editing. More of a gamer than a content creator but I would like to try some video making.

not at the end of 2019... 10nm isnt even here yet, however amd is going to release it's 7nm tech mid 2019 afaik

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

14 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Intels 7nm

You'll be waiting another 6 years for that lol

Of you meant Ice Lake 10nm coming by the end of the year though well it's only a matter of if you can/want to wait... worth it is relative.

Realistically speaking though the i7 8700K is enough CPU for any gaming you could possible still want.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

They will be launching like near the end of 2019 right? 

Pretty sure 10nm was supposed to launch in 2017 if not 2016 so at this point anything they say about it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. I wouldn't be THAT surprised if they just end up dropping 10nm completely and go straight to 7nm, however it's more likely that they'll sit on the 10nm once they succeed for a while just for the sake of the money they poured onto it.

It comes down to when are you looking to buy? If right now, neither. If you can wait to perhaps middle of the year, Ryzen 7nm should be out, and it should be nice. Intel 10nm, which should be comparable to Ryzen 7nm as they're rated differently, is hinted at something happening at the end of the year. It will (apparently) be more than yet another Skylake rehash. Intel's actual 7nm is supposed to be on track, with the implication that the much delayed 10nm might not be around for long.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Aight. Comming to the conclusion that I'll just go for the Ryzen 7nm. But... would R3 3XXX have the same level of performance of the R5 2600? Since in the leaked speck sheet it will have 6 cores. But I watched science studio's video about it and I am starting to get a bit skeptical of weather R3 3XXX will have 6 cores.

AFAIK Intel's 10nm is launching on mobile first at the end of 2019, so desktop parts might only arrive in 2020.

I'm still getting perfect frames in any game on a sub 4k monitor with a best-of ddr3 machine.  Going to be a long time before I build a 7nm spaceship.

I like knowing they're still pumping out smaller tech.  I remember all the ads 10-15 years back about how they can only make things so small so 'we will have to stop at some point'

44 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

I think you mean Intel 10nm. They claimed they were going to launch 10nm desktop CPUs by the end of the year, as they’re still stuck on 14nm+++++++++++

We can’t really tell what Zen 2 or 10nm Intel will perform. Lisa Su already hinted that mainstream Ryzen likely will see more than 8 cores, but she didn’t say how many more. It could stop at 12, or go up to 16. All you can do is wait for the reviews. Zen 2 is likely going to be announced at Computex though, where as Intel would probably be closer to Q4. 

20 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

No one really knows, once it's released (at least for the press) we'll have tons of benchmarks and face to face

But If the 2600 is the same performance than the R3 3XXX you won't want to """upgrade"""

If you plan on getting the 2600 or the R3 3XXX, then get the 2600 already since it's cheap

I mean if he doesn’t mind waiting like 6-8months, if the rumors are true a Ryzen 5 2600 level CPU would be $99 and have 50W TDP. Sounds absurd but at this point I wouldn’t be very surprised if AMD actually did that. Doubt it’d be $99 though, maybe something like $129

26 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

AFAIK Intel's 10nm is launching on mobile first at the end of 2019, so desktop parts might only arrive in 2020.

Canon Lake 10nm has already been released with the Intel Core i3-8121U which was the first mass manufacturing on the new lithography.

Desktop variants are coming the end of this year with the Ice Lake 10th gen architecture.

11 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

they’re still stuck on 14nm+++++++++++

Stop being salty the joke isn't even funny any more it's just 14nm++ and there were real uplifts in both polishes of the very original Broadwell/Skylake 14nm.

Again, to OP, gaming is not so stupidly demanding that you can't use a Ryzen 5 2600 if you want, what are the GPU and monitor are you even going with? if you'll target 60fps for instance this makes no difference what so ever.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Stop being salty the joke isn't even funny any more it's just 14nm++ and there were real uplifts in both polishes of the very original Broadwell/Skylake 14nm.

I’m not being salty, I genuinely forgot how many +’s there were and I was lazy to google it so I just spammed it. Sorry if I offended you. Hope their 10nm CPUs are competitive so AMD doesn’t go down the same route where they start stagnating their technological advancements.

46 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Aight. Comming to the conclusion that I'll just go for the Ryzen 7nm. But... would R3 3XXX have the same level of performance of the R5 2600? Since in the leaked speck sheet it will have 6 cores. But I watched science studio's video about it and I am starting to get a bit skeptical of weather R3 3XXX will have 6 cores.

AMD ryzen 3000 has 8 cores confirmed with 16 rumoured and highly likely. that is according to current leaks of spec sheets, statements made by AMD, and substrate shots of the Ryzen 3000 CPU. 

Zen 2 can surely perform very nicely. But we don't know when it will be released. We are all guessing that it should be around computex, so 5-6 more months. But it's possible that it will be only announced then, and will take another few weeks/months after that to release those CPUs.

Waiting for Intel 7nm is pointless since it will take quiet some time before it comes out.

From early look it seems like Zen 2 will be able to compete against Intel i9 CPUs even in single core performance, so overall Zen 2 should be best value and also best performance chip. How many cores will it have? 8c/16t for sure. 10 and 12c are also very likely to get on the market. As of 14 and 16c, we are not sure yet if AMD will release CPU with so many cores on mainstream CPU ... mostly because that could hurt TR a bit.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB