Building My First PC

Hi, I am not sure if I post it in the right place or not (sorry if I do tho) 

So I'm building my first pc for my sister. A budget gaming pc but I hope to get a little bit better quality out of the budget one if you know what I mean. 

I am not experienced in building pc but I understand pc and specs, my sister quite blind about pc. 

So she posted to me her build:

- Nvidia GT1030 DDR5 2GB VRAM

Was checking on it and seems it's a pretty decent entry level budget graphic card so I'm okay with it since she said she will only playing mostly dota2 stuff and video editing. 

- Her RAM selection was Silicon Power 4GB DDR4 19200 AT 2400MHz. I told her that 4GB nowadays hardly cover stuff and if she want to upgrade it she will be limited to only 2x4GB so I suggest her to get Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB 2400mhz 19200, that way it's easier for her to move up with another piece to make it 16 if she need. 

- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-DS2. Looking at the spec, it should match with the ram and i7 processor. But it mentioned windows only compatible with 32bit one? Is it ? I mean i hope that it can work with 64bit os. 

- case. I'm looking for a nice case, perhaps a compact size one, we don't need fancy rgb lighting stuff tho. 

The rest part I'm still browsing around 

Any kind of help appreciated 

This should be in New Builds and Planning but a mod will move it at some point I'm sure. As someone else already said you should be going for a 250 and you really do need 8GB of RAM. You're going to struggle to run much beyond windows and a web browser with only 4GB of RAM. The motherboard should defiantly be compatible with windows 64-bit. 32-bit died with windows 7

Welcome to the forum.

Are you building a PC or upgrading an existing one? If you're building from scratch, you're missing quite a few parts. If you're upgrading an existing one, we need to know as much info as you can tell us about the current specs of the computer.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, Samuel_sfx said:

it should match with the ram and i7 processor.

i7 doesnt mean it's a good choice, especially when this board only lets you use quad core i7s when we already have hexa and octa core i7s on the consumer platform (so don't need X chipset boards). Consider this board doesnt support overclocking, even Ryzen CPUs with more cores can beat it in traditionally Intel-biased workloads.

mostly dota2 stuff and video editing. 

what apps? Some video editing software are heavily dependent on the graphics card and GT 1030 is far from adequate. Also GT 1030 doesnt support features in Geforce Experience such as Shadowplay or Ansel, the former is quite often used in video capture which I don't know if she does that.

- case. I'm looking for a nice case, perhaps a compact size one, we don't need fancy rgb lighting stuff tho. 

How small? mITX size or mATX size? Shoebox (Silverstone RVZ-03 for example) or cube (thermaltake Core V1) or shortened tower (Fractal Nano S)?

- Her RAM selection was Silicon Power 4GB DDR4 19200 AT 2400MHz. I told her that 4GB nowadays hardly cover stuff and if she want to upgrade it she will be limited to only 2x4GB so I suggest her to get Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB 2400mhz 19200, that way it's easier for her to move up with another piece to make it 16 if she need. 

Depending on resolution of footage, even 8GB can be too few.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 hours ago, aless83 said:

Hi, I would go for a 1050 or something second hand as GPU, a 1030 is a waste of money IMO.

I just checked on the price of 1050 and it is almost double the price of 1030, that's a little too far of a stretch for a budget. As far as quality goes, I understand that she is only taking a dip, but again she got some budget in mind. And considering she is not a heavy gamer, I mean...calling a GTX1080 and playing dota2 only a little bit a waste itself  ?

2 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

This should be in New Builds and Planning but a mod will move it at some point I'm sure. As someone else already said you should be going for a 250 and you really do need 8GB of RAM. You're going to struggle to run much beyond windows and a web browser with only 4GB of RAM. The motherboard should defiantly be compatible with windows 64-bit. 32-bit died with windows 7

Ikr. At this time 8GB is like minimum requirement for most pc to run well. That's why despite her having a budget I told her to stretch on this one. And considering that she can still stretch it to 16 with additional piece in the future if she want to. (Damn Win10 too more than 2GB on its own, not to mention the rest other stuff like Cortana)

And about the OS..this is what I read on the specification page:
" Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed"

So I was worried if I can't install a 64 bit Win OS. That can be a problem at some point in the future. I asked the seller and they said they will check on it but they haven't give an answer yet. 

2 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Are you building a PC or upgrading an existing one? If you're building from scratch, you're missing quite a few parts. If you're upgrading an existing one, we need to know as much info as you can tell us about the current specs of the computer.

We are building a new one but yea my main consideration was those items first. The rest will follow when I got the desired motherboard. I mean like power supply, cooling

and stuff. The plan that she got from the web she was referred to also mentioned 2 hard disk, one a Silicone Power SSD 256GB and a WDC SATA III 1TB (not sure how many RPM)

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

i7 doesnt mean it's a good choice, especially when this board only lets you use quad core i7s when we already have hexa and octa core i7s on the consumer platform (so don't need X chipset boards). Consider this board doesnt support overclocking, even Ryzen CPUs with more cores can beat it in traditionally Intel-biased workloads.

Are you saying that the motherboard GA-H110M-DS2 can use the i7 processor but cannot utilize it properly? On the list that she gave to me it mention this tbh crappy processor and  I am yet to touch that part since decide the motherboard will be the primary thing to do, while I do understand that to work on video you need a strong processor. IIRC one that excel on single thread processing (correct me if I'm wrong). As for overclocking, I don't think she will touch that.

So, price to performance ratio, Ryzen or Intel i Processor? I never experienced Ryzen and been alive only using Intel all this time. Isn't Ryzen more excel on specifically gaming while Intel a bit general? ? And you have any suggestion for mid entry level motherboard?

what apps? Some video editing software are heavily dependent on the graphics card and GT 1030 is far from adequate. Also GT 1030 doesnt support features in Geforce Experience such as Shadowplay or Ansel, the former is quite often used in video capture which I don't know if she does that..

She told me she want to use Adobe Premiere but she is still looking for a lighter software, just have no idea what to use. I am not sure for recording but for myself, I am using Windows Game DVR and it is pretty damn good and light. I was using OBS but lagging on my laptop so I guess Windows Game DVR is lighter to run on potato pc. I doubt she will use either Shadowplay or Ansel...it's not like she will do it in a professional broadcaster...I don't think she can either with budget PC.

How small? mITX size or mATX size? Shoebox (Silverstone RVZ-03 for example) or cube (thermaltake Core V1) or shortened tower (Fractal Nano S)?

Well actually she herself doesn't mention anything about preferred size, it's just me that like a smaller one. Maybe something that can fit into check-in luggage? Btw this is the one on the list that she gave me Power Up Raptor Black Strike 1501 No PSU 

Depending on resolution of footage, even 8GB can be too few.

Ok, this one is something new, I thought resolution handled by the VGA Ram?

47 minutes ago, Samuel_sfx said:

Are you saying that the motherboard GA-H110M-DS2 can use the i7 processor but cannot utilize it properly?

No, it just uses a bunch of processors that aren't worth buying at the current prices anymore. No more new CPUs coming out on that platform for upgrades in the future either.

On the list that she gave to me it mention this tbh crappy processor and  I am yet to touch that part since decide the motherboard will be the primary thing to do, while I do understand that to work on video you need a strong processor. IIRC one that excel on single thread processing (correct me if I'm wrong). As for overclocking, I don't think she will touch that.

So, price to performance ratio, Ryzen or Intel i Processor?

Among low end CPUs, the Ryzen 3 2200G is as good as it gets. Less than $100 gets you 4 actual cores with performance equivalent to Intel's i5-7500 (same architecture as the G4600 she linked) and i3-8100 (for the newest generation of stuff). There are up to 8 core CPUs on Ryzen platform atm that she can upgrade to in the distant future and new CPUs are still being developed for the same range of motherboards.

I never experienced Ryzen and been alive only using Intel all this time. Isn't Ryzen more excel on specifically gaming while Intel a bit general? ? 

Actually the opposite in high end CPUs. For low end ones though, Ryzen is basically giving you Intel's performance at 80% the cost.

And you have any suggestion for mid entry level motherboard?

consider this at the end, choose the CPU, memory first.

She told me she want to use Adobe Premiere but she is still looking for a lighter software, just have no idea what to use

Premiere has more stuff that's CPU single thread-bound indeed, but at times it uses a lot of GPU and CPU multi-core power as well. Davinci Resolve is an alternative, which cares about GPU performance more but still needs some CPU capabilities.

I don't think she can either with budget PC.

recording is probably fine but not any streaming indeed without Shadowplay or AMD's relive (does the same thing as shadowplay)

Well actually she herself doesn't mention anything about preferred size, it's just me that like a smaller one. Maybe something that can fit into check-in luggage? Btw this is the one on the list that she gave me Power Up Raptor Black Strike 1501 No PSU 

this is one of those shortened towers, just mATX sized rather than mITX like those I've mentioned. To fit in a check-in luggage, a shoebox type case is the best.

Ok, this one is something new, I thought resolution handled by the VGA Ram?

In games yes, in editing that affects system memory a lot more than video memory. Talking about memory, video editing can be memory intensive so it's better to get 2 sticks for dual channel memory. That gives you in theory double the memory bandwidth compared to single channel which is what you can only have with a single memory stick. For upgradability's sake then (unless she can afford 16gb from the start and don't plan on going much more than 1080p), a 4 memory slot board is much preferred. mITX boards only have 2 slots, so that means an mATX board is needed and hence, an mATX case. Silverstone SG11 is the only one in my mind.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Among low end CPUs, the Ryzen 3 2200G is as good as it gets. Less than $100 gets you 4 actual cores with performance equivalent to Intel's i5-7500 (same architecture as the G4600 she linked) and i3-8100 (for the newest generation of stuff). There are up to 8 core CPUs on Ryzen platform atm that she can upgrade to in the distant future and new CPUs are still being developed for the same range of motherboards.

Actually the opposite in high end CPUs. For low end ones though, Ryzen is basically giving you Intel's performance at 80% the cost.

consider this at the end, choose the CPU, memory first.

Premiere has more stuff that's CPU single thread-bound indeed, but at times it uses a lot of GPU and CPU multi-core power as well. Davinci Resolve is an alternative, which cares about GPU performance more but still needs some CPU capabilities.

this is one of those shortened towers, just mATX sized rather than mITX like those I've mentioned. To fit in a check-in luggage, a shoebox type case is the best.

Wow, you have been a lot helpful. Thank you very much.

So you are suggesting that getting a 4x4GB DDR4 RAM is much suited to work with software like adobe premiere? (and perhaps in general video editing software?)

what is this mATX board? any suggestion on type? I mean the one around the same price of the GA-H110M-DS2?

Let's say we take the Ryzen 3 2200G for the processor, and we took dual 2X4GB Silicon Power or Corsair Vengeance (not sure which one better) 

Silicone Power seems a bit cheaper.

And if I assume I took instead 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB, will the performance difference huge?

I think budget wise we will buy single 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX ? 

Considering that...will the Motherboard Gigabyte fit with the Ryzen 3 2200G and that single Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz 19200?

Edited by Samuel_sfx
Additional text

So you are suggesting that getting a 4x4GB DDR4 RAM is much suited to work with software like adobe premiere? (and perhaps in general video editing software?)

2x8gb is better, less sticks so more board options or upgradability.

what is this mATX board? any suggestion on type? I mean the one around the same price of the GA-H110M-DS2?

mATX refers to the size (also ATX and mITX), the GA-H110M-DS2 is also an mATX board. If you go with Ryzen then you need an AM4 socket board (so no GA-H110M-DS2), B350 and B450 chipset boards are better for budget users. For example the Asrock Pro4 boards.

I don't know the price of that Gigabyte board, but anything cheaper than $50 is bound to be garbage. That's also the reason why I don't recommend them, seriously A320 mATX boards weigh the same as mITX boards with different chipsets despite the larger size, how would one expect quality from that?

and we took dual 2X4GB Silicon Power or Corsair Vengeance (not sure which one better) 

Silicone Power seems a bit cheaper.

And if I assume I took instead 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB, will the performance difference huge?

at thjs point, MHz is mostly irrelevant (because unlike getting dual channel, high frequency ratings cost extra). That said if you can get higher frequency sticks for a small price increase, take it.

Desktop benching:

Have you thought about picking up a second hand office PC like dell or HP and buy a decent GPU for it? A lot of big companies sell their pcs for 120 bucks and were never used to it's fullest... with a 1050 and maybe an SSD you have a valid Dota2 capable machine...

To answer one of your earlier questions about the motherboard with the page saying "Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed"  

It just means that if you installed and ran Windows 32-bit instead of 64-bit, the system would not be able to use more than 4GB of RAM despite having more than that installed. There are many different maximum RAM values and it really just depends on which version of windows you have. A simple Home 65-bit can handle up to 128GB of RAM, while a 2008 Data Server Center 64-bit can handle up to 2TB of RAM. Beyond your operating system you choose you are simply limited by your hardware.

A good base bones Ryzen build I would recommend is below. It should be capable of running most lighter indie games at 60fps 1080p, however some triple A titles may struggle at 1080p but will be playable. If your not happy with the framerate you could always turn it down. I went with the Ryzen 5 2400G to save money from not needing a GPU, the motherboard I choose was because of past experience's with Gigabyte boards in budget builds like this one have performed really well, however I would not expect it to be able to overclock. It's also a B450 board so you won't have to worry about updating, and you could technically get a Ryzen 2 chip with this board. I went with 2x4Gb of RAM so you could run in dual channel and in the future you can upgrade to 16GB if needed. I went with a 1TB HDD and didn't include an SSD as for budget builds its not a big deal. I haven't bothered throwing an SSD into my current build, but that's because I don't feel like completely reformatting current 2 drives and then have to reinstall everything. (working with an OEM key if you need to know + I have windows installed on both drives and I really should free up the space if I ever put the boot drive in my PC. The HDD will get the job done and that's all your really need from it. The case was chosen because its cheap, but decent + thermaltake has a very good reputation as a good PC case builder and the reviews were mostly positive for the case. The PSU was chosen because SeaSonic is a good brand and at $60 for a fully modular PSU you can't go wrong. Beyond that its just figuring out peripherals and windows.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($76.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($65.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($25.05 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $432.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-22 00:02 EST-0500

Also another reason I am saying going with 8GB of RAM instead of 16GB is below. If you want to be able to run other programs in the background, like photoshop or a bunch of google chrome tabs your going to need to get 16GB over 8GB, but if you are trying to save money and can deal with closing other programs, 8GB of RAM will get 1080p jobs done.

8GB of RAM: Only if you are editing smaller than 1080p projects and are ok with closing down other Programs that are using up lots of your RAM in the background.

16GB of RAM: Good for editing 1080p – 4K 8bit Projects, with minor usage of background Programs

32GB of RAM: Good for any type of editing with heavy use of background hogs, such as editing large images in Photoshop.

64GB or more: This is recommended if you are editing 8K footage in 10bit or more and rely heavily on having several RAM-hogging Programs open at once such as After Effects or Cinema 4D.

So, its a wrap it seems. Thank you for all the help and suggestion, while I did not take all parts suggested (sorry) but it gave me some idea on how to select the parts. After balancing budget to performance ratio I ended up with this setup.

This one based on currency conversion cost roughly USD 535

I have the rest other parts like monitor already.

Capture.PNG

Hopefully I did not made any mistake by purchasing stuff that can't fit together lol.

I bought single piece 8GB RAM so in the future I can expand to 16 easily if needed

Hmmm, the ryzen 3 2200g comes with integrated GPU, don't know if you could have spent that money on a more pwerful CPU w/o integrated VEGA GPU, since you're getting a 1050...

Btw, doesn't the CPU come with a cooler incluided?

On 1/25/2019 at 9:19 PM, aless83 said:

Hmmm, the ryzen 3 2200g comes with integrated GPU, don't know if you could have spent that money on a more pwerful CPU w/o integrated VEGA GPU, since you're getting a 1050...

Btw, doesn't the CPU come with a cooler incluided?

That looks like it but guess I learn a lot on this stuff lol. Gotta be better the next time

And yea I am not aware that they came together with the CPU as well (The cooling fan) but hey...this gammax 400 looks a lot effective damn cpu runs at 30 degree celcius.(idle) ..never seen one myself my entire life XD