Advice on trying to find a replacement LCD

NoTxtWhileDrive

I'm making a mod that gives my laptop a second screen.

Basically a more refined version of this: 

_MG_8046.JPG.2d2d6ef9fcc72c6f7e6c9d281219b20d.thumb.JPG.d82402ae28cec870b943170b1a96609e.JPG

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/845265-build-log-dell-inspiron-7559-second-monitor-mod/?tab=comments#comment-10544045

A problem I had with the old one is the lcd controller board needs me to lug around a 12v power supply and proximity to a wall outlet whenever you need to use the second screen. A problem I found an possible answer to by finding a LCD controller board that only runs on USB power. I tested it with all of my panels, two of my only 10.1" panels sadly didn't work, but it's not lock to a specific panel either as the rest of my panels sized >13" does work. 

Are there ways to determine if a model of LCD panel is compatible to a certain controller? Or blindly buying old netbooks in hopes to find a compatible LCD my only option? or have another solution in mind? I will be happy to hear your opinion on it. :) The model of the panel that came with the controller I'm looking for is n156whm, it came from and Aoc monitor.

So, not exactly the information you are looking for, but have you considered using an old tablet or ipad? A program called twomonusb allows you to use an old android or ipad as a second monitor over usb.

2 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

So, not exactly the information you are looking for, but have you considered using an old tablet or ipad? A program called twomonusb allows you to use an old android or ipad as a second monitor over usb.

Hmmm... Curious I haven't come across this earlier. How's the latency? I'll have to try it with both ipad/android tablet, my concern with the Ipad at least that it's too heavy for my current hinge design. 

1 minute ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

Hmmm... Curious I haven't come across this earlier. How's the latency? I'll have to try it with both ipad/android tablet, my concern with the Ipad at least that it's too heavy for my current hinge design. 

They make a wireless version too, but it sucks.

I use this for programming and school work. The latency isnt terribly noticeable in that application, but being over usb I wouldn't try gaming on it.

As for android vs ipad. I've tried both. The ipad version is very consistant. The android version depends on the tablet.

12 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

They make a wireless version too, but it sucks.

I use this for programming and school work. The latency isnt terribly noticeable in that application, but being over usb I wouldn't try gaming on it.

As for android vs ipad. I've tried both. The ipad version is very consistant. The android version depends on the tablet.

There isn't a free or trial version, bummer. Can you make it such if the tablet is connected thru usb to certain computer it automatically open or activate twomon USB? 

1 minute ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

There isn't a free or trial version, bummer. Can you make it such if the tablet is connected thru usb to certain computer it automatically open or activate twomon USB? 

It will auto pick up the tablet when plugged in so long as the program is open. So you would need to launch it at boot.

24 minutes ago, James Evens said:

LVDS vs. eDP and lanes are the most important figures.

All my panels and controllers are lvds I believe. Are there different pin out standards? 

9 hours ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

A problem I had with the old one is the lcd controller board needs me to lug around a 12v power supply and proximity to a wall outlet whenever you need to use the second screen.

What about a 12v power bank? That way you won't be tied to USB powered devices. 

Example: https://m.dhgate.com/product/5v-9v-12v-19v-21v-output-mobile-note-book/374600928.html#pd-104