Ghosting issues

zymel

Hi! I'm currently looking to upgrade to an ultra wide monitor, but most of the ones available are VA. I'm concerned about going the VA route however because I heard their ghosting are pretty bad. I am right now running a cheap IPS monitor, and I attached a picture of me running test UFO (I can see up to 4 frames of ghosting on the darkest lane). I couldn't see the UFO's face before taking the picture and it left a pretty clear trail behind it. I was wondering if that was due to my monitor being cheap and having bad ghosting or if it was expected performances for an IPS monitor and if VA was going to be even worse.

My final question would be, which one of theses two monitors would you choose for the price (use case will be mainly productivity and some light casual gaming. I value response times and colour accuracy.)

VA panel at 800$ CAN : https://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-EX3501R-3440x1440-Ultrawide-FreeSync/dp/B077P62F8X/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1548004354&sr=8-9&keywords=ultrawide+monitor
IPS panel at 900$ CAN :
https://www.amazon.ca/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1548004370&sr=8-30&keywords=ultrawide+monitor

20190120_123608.jpg

ALL LCD displays will have some amount of ghosting.

LCD tech simply isnt fast enough to remvoe it entirly.

TN is the fastest, but has other drawbacks.

Its probably best u get a tN panel if u really want to reduce the amoutn of ghosting present.

That said, IGNORE manufactuers specs in regards to resposne time ..its utterly meaningless. There is no industry wide standard, so each manufacturer can pritty much pick and chosoe which figure from their own testing method they use to advertise.

Most reviewers who test this use the same method and the difference between some specs and the actualy figure can be crazy. Like 1ms advertised being actualy 4 or 5 ms, and 5ms advertised being over 10ms.

bets thing to do is find a reveiwer who lists actual pixel reposne times for all their reviewed monitors, so u can compare the possible choices u have.

i.e Rtings.com , they are mainly a TV reviewer but they have a small selection of monitors they have tested so far which includes pixel response.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

18 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

ALL LCD displays will have some amount of ghosting.

LCD tech simply isnt fast enough to remvoe it entirly. 

TN is the fastest, but has other drawbacks. 

Its probably best u get a tN panel if u really want to reduce the amoutn of ghosting present. 

That said, IGNORE manufactuers specs in regards to resposne time ..its utterly meaningless. There is no industry wide standard, so each manufacturer can pritty much pick and chosoe which figure from their own testing method they use to advertise.

Most reviewers who test this use the same method and the difference between some specs and the actualy figure can be crazy. Like 1ms advertised being actualy 4 or 5 ms, and 5ms advertised being over 10ms. 

bets thing to do is find a reveiwer who lists actual pixel reposne times for all their reviewed monitors, so u can compare the possible choices u have.

i.e Rtings.com , they are mainly a TV reviewer but they have a small selection of monitors they have tested so far which includes pixel response. 

Unfortunately, TN's gave really bad color reproduction and poor viewing angles, so they aren't used at all in ultrawides. My choice is really limited to IPS or VA.