Air cooling in an Ncase M1

jtomasrl

So I ordered my Ncase last week, expecting it to arrive in 2-3 weeks and I’m already concerned about temperatures.

I’ve been thinking about it, so far my fan setup is as follows.

Rear 92mm exhaust + Noctua NH U9S

Side 120mm intake

Bottom 2x120mm exhaust (arctic accelero iii, so it must be exhaust)

I don’t know how negative pressure will impact case cooling, even though it’s practically fully meshed, so it shouldn’t be a problem with air entering through the meshed panel.

My question is how true this is (not having problemwith negative pressure) and if using a top hat with a 140mm intake will make things noticeable better or not. I know hot air goes up, but we are talking about a 240mm height case, so well... it won’t happen, not with all those fans inside.

BTW, is there a way to simulate this?

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

i dont think you need to bother with more than the air tower, that should be fine if you want to add all those fans too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You might want to get some inputs from @King Poet as he have a beautiful build with this case..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

yeah I know i’ve seen both builds, but they don’t use an arctic accelero on their gpu’s and that changes airflow a lot, because of the exhaust configuration of the bottom fans

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

14 hours ago, jtomasrl said:

yeah I know i’ve seen both builds, but they don’t use an arctic accelero on their gpu’s and that changes airflow a lot, because of the exhaust configuration of the bottom fans

The Accelero fans pull air into the graphics card heatsink so using the bottom fans at exhaust would means fans facing the opposite direction. Many people remove the shroud and use good case fans instead against the heatsink in small cases like the M1.

tSvSuT6.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Accelero fans pull air into the graphics card heatsink so using the bottom fans at exhaust would means fans facing the opposite direction. Many people remove the shroud and use good case fans instead against the heatsink in small cases like the M1.

tSvSuT6.png

actually my concerns where related to this, having 2 exhaust fans on the gpu (accelero fan replacement) plus the cpu cooler (noctua nh u9s) and having just 1 intake on the side.

After reading this guide this no longer concerns me as having negative pressure should be a good thing for heat dissipation. Now i’ll just hace to play with fan profiles to achieve a 2:1 relations between intake and exhaust for a balanced pressure inside the case.

I’m also considering making a 3d printed “duct” for the side fan to send 1/3 of the air to the cpu cooler and 2/3 to the other components, mainly down to the gpu backplate, but I want to check the temps first to see if it’s worth the extra work.

3 hours ago, jtomasrl said:

actually my concerns where related to this, having 2 exhaust fans on the gpu (accelero fan replacement) plus the cpu cooler (noctua nh u9s) and having just 1 intake on the side.

After reading this guide this no longer concerns me as having negative pressure should be a good thing for heat dissipation. Now i’ll just hace to play with fan profiles to achieve a 2:1 relations between intake and exhaust for a balanced pressure inside the case.

This is a very old guide -- at least 15 years old at this point and for older standard atx cases. I'm not sure how applicable it would be to your situation. 

When it comes to cooling the graphics card, having the fans push through the heatsink and onto the components is better. The same goes for downdraft coolers on a motherboard. When the fans are reversed, there isn't as much pressure or cooling for components on the board. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

This is a very old guide -- at least 15 years old at this point and for older standard atx cases. I'm not sure how applicable it would be to your situation. 

When it comes to cooling the graphics card, having the fans push through the heatsink and onto the components is better. The same goes for downdraft coolers on a motherboard. When the fans are reversed, there isn't as much pressure or cooling for components on the board. 

As for the accelero, is proved to work better with fans as exhaust as some reviews shows (OptimumTech using Ncase and Accelero III), as for the Noctua CPU cooler it’s just throwing air the other direction, it’s a tower cooler and the side fan it’s effectively pushing air into the case to cool the components.

11 hours ago, jtomasrl said:

As for the accelero, is proved to work better with fans as exhaust as some reviews shows (OptimumTech using Ncase and Accelero III), as for the Noctua CPU cooler it’s just throwing air the other direction, it’s a tower cooler and the side fan it’s effectively pushing air into the case to cool the components.

Where is the card shown with fans in exhaust? Every configuration shown is pushing air through the heatsink and onto the graphics card pcb.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where is the card shown with fans in exhaust? Every configuration shown is pushing air through the heatsink and onto the graphics card pcb.

just when he say he will be using a pull configuration at 8:55 and then at 9:20 saying the performance surpassed his expectations. You have the same evidence here and here. user Nord1ng using ducts in gpu to run fans as exhaust for better temps (you don’t need ducts with the accelero because it fills the gap by it’s own)

48 minutes ago, jtomasrl said:

just when he say he will be using a pull configuration at 8:55 and then at 9:20 saying the performance surpassed his expectations. You have the same evidence here and here. user Nord1ng using ducts in gpu to run fans as exhaust for better temps (you don’t need ducts with the accelero because it fills the gap by it’s own)

Thanks for the timestamps. I glossed over the part in the video. It seems like others are having great results with a similar setup so I don't think you should be worrying about lack of cooling. A top intake fan might help but probably not by much since much of the air would be exhausted out the rear before getting to the graphics card. Getting a good side intake fan like the NF-A12x25 in Nord1ng's system is probably going to make the biggest difference for good system airflow. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thanks for the timestamps. I glossed over the part in the video. It seems like others are having great results with a similar setup so I don't think you should be worrying about lack of cooling. A top intake fan might help but probably not by much since much of the air would be exhausted out the rear before getting to the graphics card. Getting a good side intake fan like the NF-A12x25 in Nord1ng's system is probably going to make the biggest difference for good system airflow. 

well yeah, I think I answered myself including those external links and what you say it’s totally true. Last thing I saw on my research was a user using a 120x25mm fan on the front, but I think those are things I’ll have to try once the case arrive. I’ll make a build log for this and test by myself but the I doubt it will change temps by much