PSU - How to enable Multi Rail?

Hi P

PSU: Corsair RM850i

When I assembled my computer 2 months ago I noticed that two of the cables included weren't on any "PC assembly tutorial" that I had seen, so I just didn't use them, the cables are:

- Corsair Link Cable (4-pin)

- USB Cable (9-pin)

Are any of these cables needed to enable Multi Rail on my PSU? (which one?)

Thank you

the usb cable, connect that for software support, then toggle multi-rail in iCUE.

corsair link i think is for connecting to a Commander pro.

btw, why do you want multi-rail? just wondering becuase single rail is better for high power video cards.

The modular connector panel on this unit is rather busy. Not only do you have all the usual cable connectors, which do not allow the wrong cables to be plugged in where they shouldn't be, but there's also the stuff happening on the left, there.

Corsair Link functionality requires two connectors - a mini USB and a four pin. You use the four pin when you want to interface this with a Link Commander, and the mini USB when you want to jack it into the mainboard instead (because you don't have a Link Commander).

(from JG http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=441)

The better question would be WHY would you want to have multi rail enabled?

It wouldn't really give you any benefits in any way over the single rail setup.

The only reason you'd want it is if you have some dodgy video cards and you want the power supply to trigger its over current protection at lower thresholds (if the video card suddenly pulls more than 500 watts for example)

13 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

why do you want multi-rail? just wondering becuase single rail is better for high power video cards.

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The better question would be WHY would you want to have multi rail enabled?

1.- I was reading a couple posts saying multi-rail was safer or something, is that not the case?

2.- Are there any disadvantages of using multi-rail mode over single-rail?

3.- Do you guys know if the PSU is on multi-rail or single-rail right now (out of the box)?

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's multi rail out of the box for all Corsair PSUs that have it. 

Thank you, do you know if multi rail is safer or something? any advantage over single rail?

else I would just change it to single rail if that's what people suggest :)

8 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Thank you, do you know if multi rail is safer or something? any advantage over single rail?

else I would just change it to single rail if that's what people suggest :)

Multi rail is the equivalent of having one breaker per room. Single rail is equivalent to having one giant breaker for the whole house. 

Multi rail all the way. Unless you're running something like the 295X2, which might be better off with single rail. 

:)