I don’t know what to do with my gaming PC

aedan929

Hi all! I’ve been really confused lately with my current setup. I have a pretty high end gaming pc, consisting of a RTX2080 and a Ryzen 1700 with 16gb of Ram. I adore this computer and I really don’t want to get rid of it. The problem is though i just got a new laptop on Black Friday with a core i7 8th gen, ever since I have only used my rig like 8 times. Half the time I use to to export my finished videos in premiere edited off of my laptop. Other times I use it for Ableton and maybe I played tomb raider once. I know a lot of people would love to have for RTX but I don’t wanna get rid of my computer like I said, it comes in a lotta handy when I need the extra oomph, and I’ve put a lot of hard work into it, slowly upgrading it as new parts are released. I was thinking of turning it into a server and ditching my current one, I was planning on it running ESXi have a few windows platforms running on it, one for video editing exporting and the other as a gaming server, I already have a gaming server and it works great! Then If I really wanted to use my desktop setup I would dock my laptop into the monitors and keyboard.  Sorry if this is a pretty pointless post that I should probably figure out myself, but what do you guys think I should do? Thanks!

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQMvkT

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

GTX 1070 Founders Edition ASUS

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Speed Link LEDOS RED (keeping it German!)

Some BOSE speakers.

VM Audio 1200 Watt Subwoofer Hooked up to Corsair CX750M

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

What do you want to do with your PC?

There's still some reason to keep a desktop around, especially one as powerful as that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

22 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What do you want to do with your PC?

There's still some reason to keep a desktop around, especially one as powerful as that.

Video exports, network gaming (pc to moonlight on my tv) maybe also handling my IP cameras becuase my current server got really laggy after I added another camera. That’s probably it though, becuase I already have a NAS. A NAS and a server that can do remote gaming and video exports is all I really need.

22 hours ago, 5Beans6 said:

The virtual machine thing is a pretty cool idea. Maybe consider UnRaid? Idk just thinking.

Yeah, I am really into that one. I like unraid but I wish it was free, the only reason I use FreeNAS as of now. 

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

1 minute ago, aedan929 said:

Video exports, network gaming (pc to moonlight on my tv) maybe also handling my IP cameras becuase my current server got really laggy after I added another camera. That’s probably it though, becuase I already have a NAS. A NAS and a server that can do remote gaming and video exports is all I really need.

Remote gaming would be a good reason to keep a gaming PC around. It's pretty high end too, so you could get some decent multitasking done with it as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Remote gaming would be a good reason to keep a gaming PC around. It's pretty high end too, so you could get some decent multitasking done with it as well.

I think that’s what I’ll be doing. Originally I was gonna get a dock and plug my laptop into the setup when needed, then setup my pc in my little server room. But what’s the point!? I’ll jsit keep it running and when I wanna use it, it’s already setup, no need to plug in a dock. I put my management software on it so I can maintenance away from home, and a 4K emulator so I can turn my displays off and play at 4K res on my tv. I’m gonna decommission my current game server and figure out what to do with my current GTX 1070 in it. Any ideas?

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Set it up with a windows build that runs remote desktop and get a good router if you don't have one then you can remote into it from your laptop if you need more power and don't want to sit down in front of a desktop.

Honestly I would just sell the whole thing on eBay. Well get well over a grand and then you can always build another one later and have the extra money. 

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

On 1/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, aedan929 said:

Yeah, I am really into that one. I like unraid but I wish it was free, the only reason I use FreeNAS as of now.  

This point always bothered me. That's a ~$2000 USD or greater build, but you won't spend $60 on software to get your desired use out of it.

And it's not just you that I'm picking on about that. I fall into the same trap all the time, it just never made sense to me that we build multi-thousand dollar PC's and then refuse to spend any money on software to run them.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Unless you have a need for a laptop, I’d always just upgrade the desktop. Anyways why not just keep the desktop as games only, plus load it up with drives for network storage and just use the laptop for productivity apps

Wow I wish I had your issues...

I have a $1000 gaming PC and a toddler so I just wish time to sit at it and play a game or two...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

11 minutes ago, NIneEyeRon said:

Wow I wish I had your issues...

I have a $1000 gaming PC and a toddler so I just wish time to sit at it and play a game or two...

If you toddler is a girl, you have purchased the 36k gaming toddler

12 minutes ago, Banshee4711 said:

If you toddler is a girl, you have purchased the 36k gaming toddler

It’s a boy and I spend my time playing fighting dinosaurs 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

23 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

This point always bothered me. That's a ~$2000 USD or greater build, but you won't spend $60 on software to get your desired use out of it.

And it's not just you that I'm picking on about that. I fall into the same trap all the time, it just never made sense to me that we build multi-thousand dollar PC's and then refuse to spend any money on software to run them.

I totally see what you are saying. When I said FreeNAS i meant my HP Proliant I got for a steal of a deal from some guy who knew nothing. I would never put free software on an expensive machine, specially with an RTX. If I were to run a server OS on it, it would be unRAID I definitely wouldn’t cheap out. I am really stuck on what to do, becuase as much as I would like to sell it and get the extra money I can’t. It’s like a connection (but not) I’ve had such a great passion for computers and have wanted to work in this field since I was a child. It means a lot to me when I’ve had a relatively same build since then. I’ll probably sell my old build now acting as a server with a 1070 and an old ass i5 that can still game. 

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Builds/buys high end spec PC. Afraid to buy software. Becomes bald from pulling out hair not knowing what to do with said hardware. How about you gift it to someone who'll actually use it right here on the forum?

Sys.BI In progress

Phantek EvolvX, HX1200i,EKWB Loop,DDR4.3600... Waiting on Ryzen Gen III to complete

Sys.A:(NAS)

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,??? MHz

Paste: Kryonaut

Cooling: EVGA CLC-240 

Mainboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 

Memory: G.Skill DDR4 3200

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX-2060 Ventus 

Storage: Toshiba Enterprise MC/MG Physicals + WD M.2 

Power: Thermaltake Tough-Power Grand RGB 850 (80+Gold) Chassis: Fractal Design Node 804 

Fans: BioniX P-120s

Controllers: Deep Cool FH-10, Sata-Six Raid Card

I/0: Microsoft & AmboLove WR | AmboLove Track

Sound: ABox 

Salsa Preference: Spicy

NB:

Hewlett Packard EliteBook Folio 9470M (Intel i7)

Other Things:

Amazon Fire Tablet 8 v7