Brands of cooling paste

Llen

I need some information on thermal paste.  I have a new ryzen build, Asrock B450 board with a Ryzen 5 2600,  first time I used my Corsair Hyper 212 evo, I was having a problem (don't remember what) and I decided to put the stock cooler on.  When I took the Hyper 212 off the cpu pulled out of the socket and was attached like concrete to the cooler.  Thought it was my old paste causing it, so got  a new tube of Artic Silver.  I put on the stock cooler, got my problem sorted out, since I found it had nothing to do with my cooler I put the Hyper 212 back on and used the new paste.   A few days ago I thought it would be nice to have a little color, I got hold of a Ryzen Wraith Prisim RBG from ebay for $25. When I went to change it, omg  first rate concrete holding cpu to cooler.  The problem is that I ended up with broken/bent pins on cpu, guess don't know my own strenght.  So as not to have this problem again, is there some reason the cpu is gluing itself to the cooler, do I need some kind of special paste for AMD.   I also noticed that both the Wraith cooler and the Hyper 212  have same type of attachment.

to the cpu.  After I took the Hyper off I put the Wraith Prisim on and the cpu also attached like concrete and it had only been 20 mins.  Had this mad idea it might still work...wouldn't even turn on.  

This isn't my first build, but it is my first AMD.  I like to change things up, so I'm always changing things around. It in a small Node 804 case so I have to think small now, which why I was going to put the Prisim cooler on, didn't have money for an expensive rbg cooler.  I don't really over tax a computer, a little overclocking for the hell of it and the most stressful game I play is FFXV on highest settings,  I also play FFXI at fixed 30 fps...lol.  My general temps running at 3.9 are at 30c to 34, and with stress tests usually never above 60-65c.

I'm ordering a new cpu tomorrow, don't want to ruin a 2nd one.  If I need new Thermal Paste I will get it, just need to know what kind is best

You might be able to bend the pins back, and the ones that are broken you can drop them into the socket.

AMD uses PGA, don't be an idiot and rip the cooler straight up, release all mechanisms then TWIST it off. Pastes like thermal grizzly kryonaut wont cure and are recommended.

I would have been better off going straight up...I'm not kidding it took the end of a screwdriver to pry the two apart, I was trying to twist it off but it held tight.

I will try the paste you have listed above.  When I tried the Prisim cooler I used the paste it came with, never sure if I should or put new paste on.

Thank you

L

4 minutes ago, Llen said:

I would have been better off going straight up...I'm not kidding it took the end of a screwdriver to pry the two apart, I was trying to twist it off but it held tight.

I will try the paste you have listed above.  When I tried the Prisim cooler I used the paste it came with, never sure if I should or put new paste on.

Thank you

L

If you are having issues in he future simply release the cpu retention arm then take the whole lot out.

The one thing I've notice is that this AMD board doesn't lock down like the Intel boards I have used.  I would not be able to do this to my 1150 which I just put back together.  Live and learn

3 minutes ago, Llen said:

The one thing I've notice is that this AMD board doesn't lock down like the Intel boards I have used.  I would not be able to do this to my 1150 which I just put back together.  Live and learn

yes cos the pins are on the CPU, the entire design is completely different, as a consumer id much rather AMDs solution as the CPU is soldered too!

Yes I prefer AMD, I just need to get use to it and be more careful. 

12 minutes ago, Llen said:

Yes I prefer AMD, I just need to get use to it and be more careful. 

I trick i learnt on this site, is turn on the system for 15-20 mins then shut it down, the old paste will soften and come off easy.  I used to use paste that come with products and they sux, and had the same problem with the chip stuck to the cooler.  This trick work great but i left me system on for 30 mins and i just twisted the cooler a little and it just slide off like butter.

I use thermal grizzly kryonaut now and its amazing for temps and no curing or hardening.  Its about 10$ for 1Gram.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384