Project Feedback.

mrchow19910319

I wrote a website that contains trick2g's youtube page as well as twitch.tv page.

This is my 1st javascript project.

Here are two version of it, one is using bootstrap, one is using vanilla CSS.

Tell me which one you prefer. Which one is more responsive and faster. Or which one looks better.

Bootstrap: 

https://trick2gsite.netlify.com/

Vanilla CSS

https://trock3j.netlify.com/

Source Code are inside.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Try to avoid slamming content (in this case the twitch stream) all the way to one side or the other unless it makes sense to do so. The bootstrap example is fairly jarring IMO, since it just looks like the twitch stream is floating weirdly in the page, while some padding could make it feel intentional. 

I do prefer the bootstrap versions handling of the scrolled section, so you can scroll without stretching the page forever. You'd probably want to only show a set number and then have a "show more" button, so that the page doesn't get slow (or grow vertically in the case of vanilla CSS version) if there are a lot more videos than there currently are.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

Twitch is nicer on the CSS site but Youtube is much better on the JS site

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Twitch is nicer on the CSS site but Youtube is much better on the JS site

4 minutes ago, reniat said:

Try to avoid slamming content (in this case the twitch stream) all the way to one side or the other unless it makes sense to do so. The bootstrap example is fairly jarring IMO, since it just looks like the twitch stream is floating weirdly in the page, while some padding could make it feel intentional. 

I do prefer the bootstrap versions handling of the scrolled section, so you can scroll without stretching the page forever. You'd probably want to only show a set number and then have a "show more" button, so that the page doesn't get slow (or grow vertically in the case of vanilla CSS version) if there are a lot more videos than there currently are.

could you amplify more on the twitch part?? you mean I should add some padding to the each side of the window? About the "show more" button, to implement that feature I think I need to utilize youtube Data API's page token. I need to read into that later.

Also I think I should borrow bootstrap's youtube section into the newer vanilla CSS section. 

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

could you amplify more on the twitch part??

In general, just try to avoid having content flush against the boundaries of your page. There are exceptions (like page banner images, headers, and navbars), but it's a good rule of thumb. Even just a tiny bit of spacing can make the content feel more "contained". You can look at almost any video platform and see this spacing: KV3QFKQ.png

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

could you amplify more on the twitch part?? you mean I should add some padding to the each side of the window? About the "show more" button, to implement that feature I think I need to utilize youtube Data API's page token. I need to read into that later.

Also I think I should borrow bootstrap's youtube section into the newer vanilla CSS section. 

Padding around the Twitch is much nicer on the CSS site and the top bar looks nicer on the bootsrap site

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, reniat said:

In general, just try to avoid having content flush against the boundaries of your page. There are exceptions (like page banner images, headers, and navbars), but it's a good rule of thumb. Even just a tiny bit of spacing can make the content feel more "contained". You can look at almost any video platform and see this spacing: 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Padding around the Twitch is much nicer on the CSS site and the top bar looks nicer on the bootsrap site

I see. Thanks!