Monitor recognized only as TV

0Artur0

I don't know whether to put this here or under GPU section. I just bought a new ASUS VN289Q monitor. Out of the box, the colors are very washed out and blacks are more like gray than black. I noticed that in NVIDIA Control Panel under "Change resolutions" my native resolution is under HD section (for TVs) and not PC section. I suspect that's the reason but why is there no native resolution under PC section since it's a PC monitor? Is there a way to fix that? I use Win10, my GPU is RTX 2080 Ti and I use DP-DP cable to hook it up. Here's how the settings look: https://imgur.com/a/xlMuPok . I already reinstalled Nvidia drivers. I seriously have no idea what's the issue here. Any help would be much appreciated!

whats the problem except it says its a tv can you notice anything else?

see what resolution it says here 

Spoiler

image.png.c4b36aee7ce8209dd8863b1712f587d7.png

Specs

I7 9700k /  Hyper 212 LED / Asus Prime Z390/ 16 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3600 MHZ  / Gigabyte 1080 Ti OC / NZXT H500i / Cooler Master V1200W /

Gear Headset G430 / Mic BM 800 / Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma Ultimate / Mouse Razer Deathadder / Mousepad Razer Goliath Largest /

Monitor Setup 24U2414H 1080p 60hz x2 / S2417DG 2k 165 hz G-sync

Storage Samsung M2 970 EVO 500GB / WD Gold 1 TB 7200 RPM

14 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I don't know whether to put this here or under GPU section. I just bought a new ASUS VN289Q monitor. Out of the box, the colors are very washed out and blacks are more like gray than black. I noticed that in NVIDIA Control Panel under "Change resolutions" my native resolution is under HD section (for TVs) and not PC section. I suspect that's the reason but why is there no native resolution under PC section since it's a PC monitor? Is there a way to fix that? I use Win10, my GPU is RTX 2080 Ti and I use DP-DP cable to hook it up. Here's how the settings look: https://imgur.com/a/xlMuPok . I already reinstalled Nvidia drivers. I seriously have no idea what's the issue here. Any help would be much appreciated!

That's the correct resolution, 1920x1080

Post an image of what the screen looks like to you (use your cell phone to take the shot)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 minutes ago, vuki300 said:

whats the problem except it says its a tv can you notice anything else?

see what resolution it says here 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.c4b36aee7ce8209dd8863b1712f587d7.png

The resolution is 1920x1080.

The problem is washed out image, especially blacks are not black at all but kinda gray. No setting on the monitor itself helps, I have all on standard, default. 
I accidentally once put one of the old monitors on HD instead of PC resolution and experienced something similar.

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's the correct resolution, 1920x1080

Post an image of what the screen looks like to you (use your cell phone to take the shot)

I know but why is it under HD and not PC? I explained above why I want it on PC, since it's a PC monitor. Maybe that's not the issue for the washed out image but that's the only difference I was able to find between my 6 years old cheap Samsung" monitor that displays perfect image and the new "should be much better ASUS" monitor on which the screen looks like it has semi-transparent white overlay over it. 
I'm not at home right now but I can post an image of the screen in a few hours if you think that would help.

any breakthroughs yet? maybe try another computer see if its the same

Specs

I7 9700k /  Hyper 212 LED / Asus Prime Z390/ 16 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3600 MHZ  / Gigabyte 1080 Ti OC / NZXT H500i / Cooler Master V1200W /

Gear Headset G430 / Mic BM 800 / Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma Ultimate / Mouse Razer Deathadder / Mousepad Razer Goliath Largest /

11 minutes ago, vuki300 said:

any breakthroughs yet? maybe try another computer see if its the same

Not yet.

If I connect my old monitor (also 1920x1080) it displays beautiful image and the resolution is listed under PC.

2 hours ago, 0Artur0 said:

Not yet.

If I connect my old monitor (also 1920x1080) it displays beautiful image and the resolution is listed under PC.

maybe your old monitor just has a different panel so it looks different?

Specs

3 minutes ago, vuki300 said:

maybe your old monitor just has a different panel so it looks different?

I got it!

If I have monitor connected via DisplyPort-DisplyPort cable then the computer thinks it's HD TV and sets native resolution in HD section in Nvidia Control Panel. I happen to had a DVI-DisplayPort cable and tried connecting the monitor with that one. The picture is perfect! The native resolution with this cable is in PC section as it should be. Before I switched cables I also changed the resolution to one not native but in PC section. The picture was fuzzy and the proportions were wrong but no washed out image, blacks were black, so it was about if the native resolution is in HD or in the PC section. The only problem now is that there is no sound via that cable. How can I convince the computer that my monitor is not TV if I use DP-DP cable? What to do so the native resolution in NVCP appears under PC and not TV?

That is soo odd because tvs dont even use displayport anymore most tvs are hdmi

So I checked my own settings now that I'm home from work and it looks even odder

hdmi -hdtv has same settings as  displayport -pc display

but main monitor displayport pc display has  PC resolutions

but my second and third monitors look the same even though they are "TVS" unlike your washed up color

image.png

Specs

On 1/17/2019 at 9:34 PM, vuki300 said:

That is soo odd because tvs dont even use displayport anymore most tvs are hdmi

So I checked my own settings now that I'm home from work and it looks even odder

hdmi -hdtv has same settings as  displayport -pc display

but main monitor displayport pc display has  PC resolutions

but my second and third monitors look the same even though they are "TVS" unlike your washed up color

Interesting. So TV resolutions by itself are not the reason for washed up image colors. There must be something else than. I would say it's the monitor but since it works perfectly on DVI-DP cable it's obviously not it. Maybe it's just something wrong with the DP-DP cable. I'll try to replace it and see what happens. If anybody has any other idea I'm open to any other suggestions.