How to fully disable optical drive via software?

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Yes it will spin if initiated. So removing from the bios is not going to help.

Can you just unplug the drive power cable?

And everytime you want to use it you replug the drive.

I see here the drive usage is not that often.

And with out electricity, it won't wear quickly.

So I'm guessing optical drives can be seen as peripherals right? Didn't think it fit better anywhere else.

Anyway: disclaimer: I'm dutch so sorry for grammar errors.

I recently built a new pc, and basically the only thing I migrated is my optical drive.

"What? An optical drive?" you might say, but for me, it's something I want to keep.

Reason 1: it's the Asus BW-12B1LT and it looks pretty great on the front of the case.

Reason 2: I burn audio cd's for my car radio once or twice a year. (my2000, only cd possible).

Anyway: the problem is, this built is pretty silenced based. My case and GPU fans only spin up after a certain temperature and still then they're pretty silent. Basically the whole built is inaudible unless you press your ear up against it.

However, the optical drive annoys me.

On every startup, it spins up to do some checks. I think all optical drives do this. I never noticed it in the previous built, which has more fans. But now on the totally silence PC it annoys me. I already did this:

-Disabled the SATA port in bios. Hides it from windows, still spins up, button still works.

What I would love to achieve is: disable the device in software to achieve no spin ups at all, and no reaction to the hardware button, until I re enable it.

That's probably pretty hard to cut the power without, you know, cutting the power. So what I would also be okay with is just no spin ups while the button still works.

However I really don't feel like opening up the case twice a year to disconnect the cables.

Shouldn't disabling the sata port in bios at least stop the spin ups? I don't understand why it wouldn't, then what's the point of that option?

PS the motherboard is the Asus Maximus XI hero (wifi).

I hope someone knows, I did read something only about setting the IRQ value to 0 and it would stop it, but can't find that in the bios.

Thanks!

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

are you sure you disabled the port instead of just removing it from boot option?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

6 minutes ago, Neftex said:

are you sure you disabled the port instead of just removing it from boot option?

Pretty sure but please let me know if I'm wrong..

https://imgur.com/a/uZqSvdz

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

BTW might be important: the spin up is pretty instant, if I boot the pc mashing delete, it spins up before I'm even in the bios.

However disabling the port should at least cut it off from being seen by windows right?

Spoiler

you disabled wrong one i think, the asus drive is below

Oh damn. Am I really that stupid. BRB.

Edit: I guess I am. You know what? I never even looked at the lines correctly because in my head it was always in port 3, because that's where I THOUGHT I plugged it in, guess not though! (or they start count from the bottom of the board, which is stupid).

Anyway, that did disable the port from being seen by windows.

Still spins up and button still works though.

Spoiler

Its normal with optical drives

when fed by power optical drives produce a bit of noise on startup even without being connected to a computer !

so you should get used to the noise or cut of the power .

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Hmm I don't understand why they need to startup at all unless I ask for that.

Guess I'll be looking into getting a hardware, outside of case, sata cable power switch or something like that.

Spoiler

Yes it will spin if initiated. So removing from the bios is not going to help.

Can you just unplug the drive power cable?

And everytime you want to use it you replug the drive.

I see here the drive usage is not that often.

And with out electricity, it won't wear quickly.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

29 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

goedemiddag...

you might want to quote people if you want them to react faster. for now I'll bring them back to the tread

@Void Master @Neftex you got a reaction

Woops, I regularly visit other forums where quoting the last post is absolutely not appreciated so didn't think of that.

Anyway, dankjewel!

Also I guess it's kind of answered. I wish there was a way to not have power to the drive until I "flick a switch". Guess I might resort to opening up the case every once in a while.

Spoiler

@Delano.888 you might try to turn of the whole sata controller, but that would probably disable your boot drive as well?

1 minute ago, Neftex said:

@Delano.888 you might try to turn of the whole sata controller, but that would probably disable your boot drive as well?

Yeah I'm gonna connect the sata drives later so that's not an option :(

Spoiler