Copper + aluminum corrosion stopping?

Evster

So I am planning on making a custom water cooling loop. So I have most all of my parts picked out and they are all copper except for the reservoir. The ends of the reservoir are aluminum alloy. Is there any way I can prevent corrosion or do I need to pick a different reservoir?

There are some ways to prevent galvanic corrosion like an anticorrosive agent in your fluid, but getting no aluminum in the loop will be a headache saved.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Ok I will probably switch reservoirs. The fittings I picked out have brass and steel in them. Do you know if that will corrode?

5 minutes ago, Evster said:

all copper except for the reservoir. The ends of the reservoir are aluminum alloy

remember aluminum surface already formed aluminum oxide itself which is very stable and strong.

there is no reactions between Al2O3 and copper  

17 minutes ago, Evster said:

Ok I will probably switch reservoirs. The fittings I picked out have brass and steel in them. Do you know if that will corrode?

Can you list or link to the components so we can get a better idea of what we are looking at. Depending on some reservoirs some are just aesthetically cladded in a aluminum cover where the fluid will not contact the fluid. 

Anticorrosives can only do so much.

It will still corrode over time.

Do not use aluminum.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

28 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

remember aluminum surface already formed aluminum oxide itself which is very stable and strong.

there is no reactions between Al2O3 and copper  

You do not mix aluminum and copper in a watercooling loop.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/aluminium-vs-copper/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

as said, its not aluminum and copper , its the Aluminum OXIDE

furthermore jayztwocent made a video on this cutting open an Al - Cu aio and nothing corrodes

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Where does this come from? We've been mixing the two for years in the automotive industry, why can't we use the same anti corrosion techniques they do there?

I'm not trolling, this is genuine curiosity...

9 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

furthermore jayztwocent made a video on this cutting open an Al - Cu aio and nothing corrodes

They do not hard anodize the interior of the radiator so it will corrode overtime even with the proper fluids. The time is finite.

3 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

Where does this come from? We've been mixing the two for years in the automotive industry, why can't we use the same anti corrosion techniques they do there?

AIO's and both automotive cooling use ethylene or propylene glycol which works great as an antifreeze and anti-corrosive but overtime it does degrade which is why they need to be changed in vehicles. In AIO's it would essentially become obsolete or at that point require a new unit since they are sealed and non-serviceable. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

They do not hard anodize the interior of the radiator so it will corrode overtime even with the proper fluids. The time is finite.

really? they dont need to anodize the interior because the oxide is already good and thick enough

to make it clear, the material used here isnt an issue.

what matters is the liquid you use

15 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

really? they dont need to anodize the interior because the oxide is already good and thick enough

to make it clear, the material used here isnt an issue.

what matters is the liquid you use

Even though aluminum naturally oxidizes very quickly it doesn't form enough of a barrier compared to something that is hard anodized, it is correct that the proper fluids will prevent corrosion but only up to a certain point. Going back to the main reason why mixed metal loops are not recommended it is due to those issues and the degradation of the anticorrosives.

51 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

I posted a link in my previous post.

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Read the link I posted.

It will corrode.

Spoiler

So I got a reply on the fittings page by someone who used a copper loop and he said it worked fine. For the person who asked for the link to the reservoir here it is. 
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c7NvP9oM

i know it’s cheap but I’m on a budget. Thank you all for helping me out!

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/aluminium-vs-copper/

Wow a website that sells high end (overpriced) water cooling stuff says you shouldn't mix aluminum and copper and instead should just buy their stuff with their anticorossion agent? No way!

OP: You'll be fine, just clean your system every so often. 

12 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Wow a website that sells high end (overpriced) water cooling stuff says you shouldn't mix aluminum and copper and instead should just buy their stuff with their anticorossion agent? No way!

OP: You'll be fine, just clean your system every so often. 

Clearly you don't understand what an anticorrosive additive is.

All it does is slow down corrosion.

If you're going to replace your waterblocks in a year then sure it will be fine.

If you want your watercooling loop to look and stay clean for 10 years then no, it is not fine.

Spoiler

I have heard that anticorrosives goop up in the lines.

1 hour ago, Evster said:

So I got a reply on the fittings page by someone who used a copper loop and he said it worked fine. For the person who asked for the link to the reservoir here it is. 
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c7NvP9oM

i know it’s cheap but I’m on a budget. Thank you all for helping me out!

I wouldn't recommend it, that will have aluminum making contact with the fluid, you would be much better off with something like this which used POM (delrin) instead. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BYKSKI-Black-POM-Length-150-200-260mm-X-50mm-Diameter-Cylindrical-Water-Cooled-Tank-G1-4/32897679261.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.1.75346dc5vWzu8g&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.124330.0&scm_id=1007.13338.124330.0&scm-url=1007.13338.124330.0&pvid=3ecb5334-8a25-4851-bb6a-c63891f4e9e5