Is adaptive sync worth the extra cash?

So I want to get a new gaming monitor and my requirements are 1440p 144hz 27 inches or above, VA or IPS panel, ive got a gtx 1070.

I saw this Samsung display Samsung LC32JG52 its a 1440p 144hz VA panel without adaptive sync for £350, but there is a Samsung LC32HG70 which is also 1440p 144hz VA but it has freesync 2 as well as HDR for an added £200 as it costs £550. 

So my question is whether it is worth the extra £200 for freesync and HDR, as im not sure with the announcement that adaptive sync will be compatible with 20 and 10 series cards on this monitor.

I've never owned a 144hz display before so im not sure how bad the screen tearing will be as at 60hz ive always had v-sync on.

Adaptive sync yes, Gsync no.

There should be some other displays around the 350 mark with freesync, but without HDR

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, TheNameDaniel said:

So I want to get a new gaming monitor and my requirements are 1440p 144hz 27 inches or above, VA or IPS panel, ive got a gtx 1070.

I saw this Samsung display Samsung LC32JG52 its a 1440p 144hz VA panel without adaptive sync for £350, but there is a Samsung LC32HG70 which is also 1440p 144hz VA but it has freesync 2 as well as HDR for an added £200 as it costs £550. 

So my question is whether it is worth the extra £200 for freesync and HDR, as im not sure with the announcement that adaptive sync will be compatible with 20 and 10 series cards on this monitor.

I've never owned a 144hz display before so im not sure how bad the screen tearing will be as at 60hz ive always had v-sync on.

HDR is worth almost nothing imo, most of the time its causes problems or makes everything look worse. HDR hopefully will be better in the future.

Also HDR varies from display to display. Some displays having a much better implementation than others.

As for tearing, significantly less noticeable at higher refresh rates, you also wont get over 144hz with a 1070.

However id still recommend the asus mg279q so you get "g-sync" with the upcoming driver. (find a store with a good return policy, cos backlight bleed)

Freesync 2 is going to be more expensive because it competes better with G-Sync.

Look for monitors with Freesync, not Freesync 2. They'll be less expensive.

I don't use adaptive sync on my 144hz and I don't see any tearing at all. I get just over 144fps or right under.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

27 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Freesync 2 is going to be more expensive because it competes better with G-Sync.

Freesync 2 HDR is a thing.

Regular Freesync has all tye benefits of the features they added later like low refresh compensation. Idk how it relates to Nvidia as im unshure of they have LFC working on freesync panels

But yes Freesync 2 HDR panels will be more expencive because you need HDR.

OP, you should be able to get Freesync panels at around the same price as the non-Freesync one.