Doom is running like garbage

Dylan Stanco
Go to solution Solved by Dylan Stanco,

THE FREAKING CHROMA SETTING IN KEYBOARD AND MOUSR WAS MAKING MY FRAMES STUTTER!!!  WOW. thanks for the help guys but really that was the issue and I'm facepalming so hard I've given myself a hemorrhage.

I recently got Doom 2016 for my Dell G7. Now I have ran games that were much more graphically intensive then Doom. However, for some reason my frame just tank for no good reason. I have 8gbs of DDR4 RAM, I'm booting and loading the game from a separate SSD which is a Samsung 850 evo. i7 8750h with an undervolt of -.140. A  1060 max-q with and overclock on the cores 220mghz and 320mghz on the VRAM. I tried so many things. I turned off vsync and that just created screen tearing. I tried adaptive vsync. pretty much everything. I just want to know if any one else has had the issue and found a remedy for such. Have a good day.

Is it just this specific game, or in every game? If it is just one game, make sure that you are running the game with the 1060, and not the iGPU.

Are you running it in vulkan or direct x mode? I found vulkan to work a good bit better than DX, mostly cuz vulkan is fantastic.

Also, what settings are you running it at, and resolution? In my experience, its a pretty easy game to run at max settings since vulkan is an amazing API.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I will try vulkan again , but there was the same issue with vulkan if I remember correctly. Ive also done all the settings down to the lowest and still manage to dip under 50. its aggravating. Im over speced and still it runs like cottage cheese

9 minutes ago, badreg said:

Is it just this specific game, or in every game? If it is just one game, make sure that you are running the game with the 1060, and not the iGPU.

No. There are a few games that run with slight issues. Dead space one and two but I hear that across the board with many people. But the witcher 3 runs like butter on high settings. But for some reason the doom is just a stuttering mess. 

10 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Are you running it in vulkan or direct x mode? I found vulkan to work a good bit better than DX, mostly cuz vulkan is fantastic.

Also, what settings are you running it at, and resolution? In my experience, its a pretty easy game to run at max settings since vulkan is an amazing API.

Is open gl the same as DX? And vulkan kinda helped it. Idk it may be placebo but it still stutters.

8 minutes ago, Dylan Stanco said:

No. There are a few games that run with slight issues. Dead space one and two but I hear that across the board with many people. But the witcher 3 runs like butter on high settings. But for some reason the doom is just a stuttering mess. 

Use MSI Afterburner to monitor your resource usage during gameplay. What is your CPU and GPU at?

Open GL is not the same as DX. Typically DX works better from my experience, but vulkan is a totally new and much better API than anything else. DX12 is supposed to be vulkan-ish, but that is slow to happen. BF V does see pretty substantial gains for me, the system in my sig goes from mid 60's to mid 90's from DX11 to 12. I don't remember the graphics settings used, but still, 30 FPS jump is massive, similar to what I see with DX11 vs Vulkan in doom.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

THE FREAKING CHROMA SETTING IN KEYBOARD AND MOUSR WAS MAKING MY FRAMES STUTTER!!!  WOW. thanks for the help guys but really that was the issue and I'm facepalming so hard I've given myself a hemorrhage.

15 hours ago, Dylan Stanco said:

i have the same issue. how did you didsalbe it

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:13 PM, Acid Panda said:

i have the same issue. how did you didsalbe it

Go to mouse and keyboard and click the chroma setting. 

17 hours ago, Dylan Stanco said:

Go to mouse and keyboard and click the chroma setting. 

sicnce done that. but i think the issue may be that the game is trying to use my inter grated graphics instead of dedicated

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, Acid Panda said:

sicnce done that. but i think the issue may be that the game is trying to use my inter grated graphics instead of dedicated

right click on the home screen and then go to nivida control panel, after that click "set psyhx configuration" and change it from cpu to your graphics card. Also go to "manage 3d settings" and go to preferred graphics card and choose your dedicated graphics.