Occasional BSOD with new Ryzen build

I built a PC for my friend today and it was running really well and smooth until it crashed a couple times with "System service exception" error or "KERNEL_AUTOBOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE". I read online that this can be caused by faulty video drivers so I uninstalled them with DDU and reinstalled the proper ones from the radeon website. It ran smoothly for about 3 hours and while we were playing GTA online my friend had his PC crash with this error again (twice, the second time after setting ultra settings on a different game). I installed all the updates from windows, all the updated drivers from the motherboard's support page (except BIOS), I set the ram speed at 3000Mhz with the XMP profile. Now, my hypothesis are:

1. I need to use the 2nd XMP profile because the 3000Mhz speed might be causing some instability.

2. I need to update the Motherboard's BIOS (it is currently at AGESA 1.0.0.4).

3. Some faulty component?

I will visit him tomorrow in the morning to run system scans, disk scans and maybe memory tests or cpu stress tests. Do you have any suggestions or have encountered similar problems before?

Here are the full specs:

Gigabyte B450M-DSH3 motherboard

Ryzen 5 2600

2x4Gb HyperX 3000Mhz RAM

120Gb SSD Kingston

500Gb Seagate HDD (from his old pc)

Corsair VS550W PSU

Radeon RX 460 4gb (used)

Help would be greatly appreciated.

What the system, CPU, GPU temps when it crashes?  What's the cooling solution?

That seems like kind of an under powered system to play a lot of games at ultra settings, especially GTA.  8GB of RAM is the system minimum for GTA online, and a 460 is a decent mid tier card, but not for ultra gaming.  I'd assume that your GPU is probably just crashing.

Try playing on lower settings and see how it goes.  

2 hours ago, dubisk said:

Here are the full specs:

Corsair VS550W PSU

Wich one?
Yellow label?

If so that might be the Problem...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Were the latest AMD chipset drivers installed?

Yes but I will make sure again. 

5 hours ago, pstarlord said:

What the system, CPU, GPU temps when it crashes?  What's the cooling solution?

That seems like kind of an under powered system to play a lot of games at ultra settings, especially GTA.  8GB of RAM is the system minimum for GTA online, and a 460 is a decent mid tier card, but not for ultra gaming.  I'd assume that your GPU is probably just crashing.

Try playing on lower settings and see how it goes.  

Even if this was the problem we should just be getting poor performance from the game, not random BSODs, I think. Besides, the GPU was working just fine in another friend's system a few days ago.

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Wich one?
Yellow label?

If so that might be the Problem...

It's the new model with the grey label.

7 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Were the latest AMD chipset drivers installed?

On second thoughts, it appears that installing the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard's vendor website actually installs older drivers. So I will install the latest drivers from AMD's website instead and then proceed to update the BIOS (for some reason, a note on gigabyte's website warns users to update the chipset before updating the BIOS).

FWIW, a friend of mine with a similar setup was getting the same BSOD errors and crashes while playing a few high demanding games. it ended up being her GPU was being pushed too hard, getting too hot and rather than simply slowing down performance it would crash her pc.

Okay so I updated the BIOS to the latest version, the BSODs stopped but demanding games would crash (GTA V), while benchmarks ran perfectly). I tried a few things and nothing seemed to work, it would crash within 5-10 minutes. I enabled the 2nd XMP profile instead of the first, with RAM running at 2666Mhz and the game stopped crashing (my friend played for a few hours without crashing after that). So, unless other problems occurr, it's fair to assume that the RAM simply can't keep up with 3000Mhz and had to be downclocked.