Power Limit Lowered to 20% on my GPU

ILikePc

Before I was cleaning my pc, I increased my power limit on MSI Afterburner to 50%. And then, when I started to clean I took out my GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580) and put it all back together it looked alright and fine.

And now i realized that power limit is max to 20%. This card uses 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin connectors to power it. Is it because maybe I was taking out the whole card or what?

Go into BIOS and reset to default, then try again.

Always safer to reset settings when unplugging stuff, or plugging in new stuff :) 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

15 minutes ago, TooUnskilled said:

Go into BIOS and reset to default, then try again.

Always safer to reset settings when unplugging stuff, or plugging in new stuff :) 

what exatcly am i supposed to reset

Everything :)

Load Default Settings, Save and Exit

Usually is on the last tab of settings

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

i don't really know what your issue is therefore i can't really help on that but i'm here to tell you one thing:

The gold contact connections within the PCIexpress slots are extremely fragile (same for RAM slots etc...everything that connect into the motherboard) therefore it's a really really bad practice to take in and out anything on your motherboard just for cleaning purposes...it will cause a lot more harm than good by doing that...only time you should remove and insert stuff into the motherboard is when you upgrade components or troubleshoot...basically the less you come in contact/mess with your motherboard the better...cause those are fragile and are almost always the first component to go bad within a system.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i don't really know what your issue is therefore i can't really help on that but i'm here to tell you one thing:

The gold contact connections within the PCIexpress slots are extremely fragile (same for RAM slots etc...everything that connect into the motherboard) therefore it's a really really bad practice to take in and out anything on your motherboard just for cleaning purposes...it will cause a lot more harm than good by doing that...only time you should remove and insert stuff into the motherboard is when you upgrade components or troubleshoot...basically the less you come in contact/mess with your motherboard the better...cause those are fragile and are almost always the first component to go bad within a system.

so you think I messed it up by pulling it out? idk what to do now

2 hours ago, ILikePc said:

so you think I messed it up by pulling it out? idk what to do now

No I doubt it if it works...are you sure you plugged both power cables completely?

Is your graphics card performing like it should in games?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

9 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

No I doubt it if it works...are you sure you plugged both power cables completely?

Is your graphics card performing like it should in games?

Yea I think u pushed them far enough, but I can see slight drop in fps in some games, I mean it's still playable it doesn't go under 60 so..

3 hours ago, ILikePc said:

Yea I think u pushed them far enough, but I can see slight drop in fps in some games, I mean it's still playable it doesn't go under 60 so..

when you say '' I increased my power limit on MSI Afterburner to 50% '' do you mean 150% because by default the power limit is set to 100%...and you can usually only go up to around 110% to 120% on most cards...and no cards that i know of will go anywhere near 150% unless you BIOS moded it...is there a chance you increased it to 120% before and you mistakenly tought it was at 150%?

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

when you say '' I increased my power limit on MSI Afterburner to 50% '' do you mean 150% because by default the power limit is set to 100%...and you can usually only go up to around 110% to 120% on most cards...and no cards that i know of will go anywhere near 150% unless you BIOS moded it...is there a chance you increased it to 120% before and you mistakenly tought it was at 150%?

for AMD cards you can go from 100% up to 150% within Radeon Software.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Yes my card can go up to 150%, after a few restarts and pushing the power cables harder into the GPU it went back to normal so everything is ok.

screen.PNG