Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for 7.1 headset

psychoboy69
 Share

Hey I'm looking for a good 7.1 headset but after looking for way too much time I see that most headphones have some sort of fatal problem like they break easly or mic is bad or maybe have QA issues.

so I would like your guys's opinion on the matter what headset is the least compromise free.

My top priority in a headset

1. Good audio quality + 7.1

2. Good build quality

3. Decent mic

4. A non kinkable cable

No preference for a specific company or price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've personally never really heard of a good 7.1 headset, what are the benefits? They are so close to your ears are you even going to experience the full benefit, or even notice if they are 7.1?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing with and without 7.1 on my sennheiser game one I feel that the sound is really flat and you couldn't really tell where the sound(like gunshot or footsteps) is coming from as well as when you're using 7.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Creative had the better 7.1 card..but just the cheap 5.1 is nice.

 

If you were really realistic more Pro audio...it would be that Asus Card. 

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, psychoboy69 said:

Hey I'm looking for a good 7.1 headset but after looking for way too much time I see that most headphones have some sort of fatal problem like they break easly or mic is bad or maybe have QA issues.

so I would like your guys's opinion on the matter what headset is the least compromise free.

My top priority in a headset

1. Good audio quality + 7.1

2. Good build quality

3. Decent mic

4. A non kinkable cable

No preference for a specific company or price.

I suggest to stop looking. 
1. Doesn't exist.
3. Doesn't exist.
But based on your requirements, here's the closest results: https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-gamedac
Or https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone ( Has mediocore sound thats probably close to GAME One just like Arctis Pro and not rly 7.1 but even better, keep in mind that HyperX is going to release knock off of this model for ~299$ )

Also forget about the 7.1 Sound in headphones, it's just a gimmick / pseudo-surround. The best surround sound is Open-Back Stereo headphones in my experience like the Hifiman HE4XX which i use now ( It's weird that you had that experience with G4ME One, because i have HD 598 which is same as Game One and i tried Razer Virtual Surround and it didn't improved any step/gunshot positional accuracy - it just made it sound weird and more distant, however the G4ME One might not be as open as 598 that could be the reason since even 598 isn't fully open ). Also i tested 7.1 Cards like GSX 1000, these just screwed everything even more than virtual surround, it's fun to listen but not useful and bit confusing, because it extends the soundstage on already wide one and ppl running in 10meters sounds like in 50meters. Surround in headphones is great for fixing crappy headphones which has zero soundstage, but good headphones especially open wont benefit from it. 

Just for reference i don't use any surround and DAC atm ( just an FiiO K5 amp ) w/ HE4XX and if i hear sound i don't even need to carefully listen i just instantly turn there in split second and my crosshair is pretty much in dead center of the sound source ( except the times when my hand aim is off then its like half meter off or so :D ). Or in PUBG for example if im in some house if i hear someone outside i can pretty much pinpoint the position and distance of the enemy through wall then peek and hit him in very short time. In CS:GO w/ HRTF On its just like legit wallhack ( not hard to wallbang w/ AWP if someone is running around ). And about the "Flat sound" im not sure, for me it sounds good w/ 598 or 4XX, everything is well separated without surround, again i guess mby the Game One is not open enough and not as good as 598 thats why surround helps alot.

What's ur Max budget? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Exaco said:

I suggest to stop looking. 
1. Doesn't exist.
3. Doesn't exist.
But based on your requirements, here's the closest results: https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-gamedac
Or https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone ( Has mediocore sound thats probably close to GAME One just like Arctis Pro and not rly 7.1 but even better, keep in mind that HyperX is going to release knock off of this model for ~299$ )

Also forget about the 7.1 Sound in headphones, it's just a gimmick / pseudo-surround. The best surround sound is Open-Back Stereo headphones in my experience like the Hifiman HE4XX which i use now ( It's weird that you had that experience with G4ME One, because i have HD 598 which is same as Game One and i tried Razer Virtual Surround and it didn't improved any step/gunshot positional accuracy - it just made it sound weird and more distant, however the G4ME One might not be as open as 598 that could be the reason since even 598 isn't fully open ). Also i tested 7.1 Cards like GSX 1000, these just screwed everything even more than virtual surround, it's fun to listen but not useful and bit confusing, because it extends the soundstage on already wide one and ppl running in 10meters sounds like in 50meters. Surround in headphones is great for fixing crappy headphones which has zero soundstage, but good headphones especially open wont benefit from it. 

Just for reference i don't use any surround and DAC atm ( just an FiiO K5 amp ) w/ HE4XX and if i hear sound i don't even need to carefully listen i just instantly turn there in split second and my crosshair is pretty much in dead center of the sound source ( except the times when my hand aim is off then its like half meter off or so :D ). Or in PUBG for example if im in some house if i hear someone outside i can pretty much pinpoint the position and distance of the enemy through wall then peek and hit him in very short time. In CS:GO w/ HRTF On its just like legit wallhack ( not hard to wallbang w/ AWP if someone is running around ).

What's ur budget? 

gsx has built in virtual surround

 

many games have shit sound for headphones because they were created in 5.1/7.1 with no headphone features

many games like csgo have great sound

but at same time many games dont for headphone, which is why you change windows to 7.1 and use a virtual surround

this guy below could prolly explain more detail

@an actual squirrel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Exaco said:

 Surround in headphones is great for fixing crappy headphones which has zero soundstage, but good headphones especially open wont benefit from it. 

This is a common misconception. All headphone users should be using some type of virtual surround sound, and if it isn't available in game, they should seek out a post processing solution like razer surround. The hrtf in csgo/pubg and the 7.1 in the gsx1000 are synonyms for virtual surround sound. Soundstage cannot fix the limitations of stereo audio. You could have studio monitors, like the jbl lsr305, which have more soundstage than any headphones, but the problem is that the location of the sounds aren't corresponding to where they are in the game world, but to the position of the speakers. Similarly, headphones, without an hrtf system, will just lump sounds together regardless of their position in the game world.

 

With stereo, there is only left and right natively. With a video game in stereo, you can infer front and back with audio pans - by moving your mouse laterally, and hearing the change in channel balance over time. With virtual 7.1, you have different HRTF for front and back sounds, so you can have distinct front and back natively. So you can distinguish these directions without using any mouse movement. The mouse movement may not always be possible or desirable due to gameplay reasons. So for example, on Call of Duty Blackops 4 battle royale, if I am looting someone, my perspective is fixed, so on stereo, front and back gunshots would be ambiguous, but you can tell between front and back with virtual 7.1.

 

Virtual surround sound is generally going to take a little getting used to. You have to give your mind time to adapt. The more you use it, the better it will sound.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude squirrel your writing a novel,, I can't read all that lol...

 

Ya dude just buy some Razer Tiamat 7.1 and call it a game brother......

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

This is a common misconception. All headphone users should be using some type of virtual surround sound, and if it isn't available in game, they should seek out a post processing solution like razer surround. The hrtf in csgo/pubg and the 7.1 in the gsx1000 are synonyms for virtual surround sound. Soundstage cannot fix the limitations of stereo audio. You could have studio monitors, like the jbl lsr305, which have more soundstage than any headphones, but the problem is that the location of the sounds aren't corresponding to where they are in the game world, but to the position of the speakers. Similarly, headphones, without an hrtf system, will just lump sounds together regardless of their position in the game world.

 

With stereo, there is only left and right natively. With a video game in stereo, you can infer front and back with audio pans - by moving your mouse laterally, and hearing the change in channel balance over time. With virtual 7.1, you have different HRTF for front and back sounds, so you can have distinct front and back natively. So you can distinguish these directions without using any mouse movement. The mouse movement may not always be possible or desirable due to gameplay reasons. So for example, on Call of Duty Blackops 4 battle royale, if I am looting someone, my perspective is fixed, so on stereo, front and back gunshots would be ambiguous, but you can tell between front and back with virtual 7.1.

 

Virtual surround sound is generally going to take a little getting used to. You have to give your mind time to adapt. The more you use it, the better it will sound.

 

 

Well, it's not really misconception, its my experience. Before i had decent pair of headphones i was inlove with Razer Surround and used it everytime, but now it just makes no difference literally.
For the front and back maybe its useful, but honestly i never had issues with that even using stereo and the surround is just not worth it due to the sound profile distortion/degrade, also mostly i automatically know when its back or front during the gameplay ( for example i know it cannot be front due to map or the area that i've scanned ), but in extreme cases even the surround would not help much. I will try to test the Razer Surround and see if i can tell difference between back and front ( last time i've used it it was very inaccurate in imaging  ).

What i mean by inaccurate in imaging is basically i did a blind test:
I went ingame and found a slow moving sound source like 30meters from me ( can be a chicken in csgo, walking zombie that makes noise anything ), i closed my eyes and randomly rotated the mouse in 360 ( horizontally ingame ), then i tried to aim at the sound source and with stereo it ended up accurate i mean crosshair on the sound source 10 times out of 10, but with razer surround it was always wrong and off ( needs proper calibrating probs if that will even help ).

Btw does the Windows 10 built-in surround makes any difference? I tested it but i heard no difference.
51bfde219872a77fab994cbc10c93d97.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

 

Ya dude just buy some Razer Tiamat 7.1 and call it a game brother......

That would be huge mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Well, it's not really misconception, its my experience. Before i had decent pair of headphones i was inlove with Razer Surround and used it everytime, but now it just makes no difference literally.
For the front and back maybe its useful, but honestly i never had issues with that even using stereo and the surround is just not worth it due to the sound profile distortion/degrade, also mostly i automatically know when its back or front during the gameplay ( for example i know it cannot be front due to map or the area that i've scanned ), but in extreme cases even the surround would not help much. I will try to test the Razer Surround and see if i can tell difference between back and front ( last time i've used it it was very inaccurate in imaging  ).

What i mean by inaccurate in imaging is basically i did a blind test:
I went ingame and found a slow moving sound source like 30meters from me ( can be a chicken in csgo, walking zombie that makes noise anything ), i closed my eyes and randomly rotated the mouse in 360 ( horizontally ingame ), then i tried to aim at the sound source and with stereo it ended up accurate i mean crosshair on the sound source 10 times out of 10, but with razer surround it was always wrong and off ( needs proper calibrating probs if that will even help ).

Btw does the Windows 10 built-in surround makes any difference? I tested it but i heard no difference.

My headphones are the sennheiser hd650. I still need to use virtual 7.1 surround sound because the front/back problem isn't magically fixed by getting good headphones.

 

If you are using csgo with the "advanced 3d audio" toggle, then it is using virtual surround sound. You shouldn't ever use two virtual surround sound techs simultaneously, so in that case, you should switch audio devices to the one without razer surround.

 

The issue is that if you aren't using virtual surround sound (either the in game setting or razer surround), and you take just the audio (no video) from your experiment, and hand it to someone and ask them what direction you were rotating, they will have two equally plausible solutions. This is because a front object with a clockwise turn would create the same audio as a rear object with a counterclockwise turn, when you have no dedicated front and back.

 

The point I'm trying to make here is that this isn't some gimmick, you are actually getting more directional information from the game with virtual surround sound.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

My headphones are the sennheiser hd650. I still need to use virtual 7.1 surround sound because the front/back problem isn't magically fixed by getting good headphones.

 

If you are using csgo with the "advanced 3d audio" toggle, then it is using virtual surround sound. You shouldn't ever use two virtual surround sound techs simultaneously, so in that case, you should switch audio devices to the one without razer surround.

 

The issue is that if you aren't using virtual surround sound (either the in game setting or razer surround), and you take just the audio (no video) from your experiment, and hand it to someone and ask them what direction you were rotating, they will have two equally plausible solutions. This is because a front object with a clockwise turn would create the same audio as a rear object with a counterclockwise turn, when you have no dedicated front and back.

 

The point I'm trying to make here is that this isn't some gimmick, you are actually getting more directional information from the game with virtual surround sound.

 

 

That isn't an issue, there's games who even has no options for that, also there's no difference where i rotate etc, because the goal is to aim at the sound, then open eyes and see where ur crosshair is vs where's the sound source ( unless you mean if i can tell from certain degree, then ye its different ). 

And i've tested the Razer Surround in Arma 3 ( which has one of the best Audio's for a game ) and i agree, it indeed improves the front/back ( simply muffles the sounds from back at certain degree range but the angles positional info is the same ). However my point was to not buy headphones entirely for its "Surround" feature as you can always install the software or get surround dac like GSX 1000. I never said it doesn't work or does nothing, but it's far from true surround making it still a gimmick ( especially these headphones with multiple drivers like Tiamat is pure scam and gimmick ).

And yea CS:GO doesn't need Headphone V.Surround, the HRTF ( Adanced 3D Audio ) is superior to any virtual surround as it adjusts the audio based on walls etc on the map.

True surround is more how the sound bounces on your body/environment and enters the ear canal creating these positional clues and headphones cannot produce that, it can just be faked by processing the audio but you already know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@an actual squirrel

 

Can I ask a question. I've just bought a pair of Arctis Pro with the gamedac?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up my audio.

 

My options are DTS X on the game dac, spatial sound for windows and in game stuff, game for game.

I'd assume leaving DTS X on, having spacial sound turned off and doing it that way. It's one thing that's always confused me.

I want to try and create the best spacial awareness in games like PUBG etc. But then n PUBG, it has it's own HRTF setting or something (haven't played that game in a while so can't remember exactly what it is)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SM Phoo

Spatial sound doesn't work with many applications, so I would leave that off. If you are using dts headphone x, remember to set windows speaker config to 7.1 (the video has the instructions for windows 7, but it's similar on newer windows versions). Alternatively, you can use pub g hrtf setting and in that case, turn off dts headphone x. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@an actual squirrel

Thanks. I've just thought, my headset comes with a dac that has the DTS inbuilt.

I assume it's at 7.1 no matter the setting in windows now that I've looked into it somewhat. It won't let me configure on windows, so I guess it's disabled as it's already enabled elsewhere.

In the steelseries software it mentions DTS 7.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SM Phoo

 

I would be concerned if I could not select 7.1 or 5.1 in the speaker configuration or the properties>advanced tab. This setting is generally what governs what format the game will output.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@an actual squirrel

 

I'm going to have to assume that the dac overrides everything.

I can't click configure on either playback setting. I also cannot turn on spatial sound.

 

On the steelseries app which sets the dac settings, DTS is turned on and 7.1 is active, so in my mind, it must override everything.

While on the subject though, do you have any idea why my headset has two playback settings

1. Headset earphones

GameDac Chat

Default communcations Device

 

2. Speakers

GameDac Game

Default Device

 

I'm never really done audio properly on the PC but would like to get it setup correctly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SM Phoo

 

It looks like the first device is for like voice chat, and the second one is what is generally used.

 

When you right click on the second one, and hit test, do you hear like 8 different sounds? That would mean it is set to 7.1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@an actual squirrel

I hear 2 on the first one and 6 on the second

 

As a small edit, I've finally been able to get configure to show, but the best I can select is 5.1. It my only option actually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×