Windows Is super Expensive Now

MechaToaster

Im a new system builder and was wondering that if I get a windows 10 usb drive can I just buy a product key off of Kinguin or something?

You an, however it is not guaranteed to work. It is very risky.

If you are a system builder (unless I misunderstand what you mean by that title) you should have your own set of OEM keys from Microsoft to use for client computers.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

6 minutes ago, MechaToaster said:

Im a new system builder and was wondering that if I get a windows 10 usb drive can I just buy a product key off of Kinguin or something?

You don't need to buy Windows:

- Download the W10 ISO file onto a USB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

- If you have an old OEM PC with a Windows 10, you can link the activation key to your Microsoft account, and log into that same Microsoft account on your new PC to activate Windows 10.

Don't buy from Kinguin, the key is not guaranteed to work.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Geography said:

Don't buy from Kinguin, the key is not guaranteed to work.

Or it will and they'll fraud your credit card or something.

Grey markets are yucky 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Geography said:

If you have an old OEM PC with a Windows 10, you can link the activation key to your Microsoft account, and log into that same Microsoft account on your new PC to activate Windows 10.

Alternatively, Windows 7 and 8 keys will also work.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

OEM keys are not the same as the Retail keys. OEM is MB locked out. one key, one MB S/N configuration. Change too much in the computer, new key activation is required.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

OEM is MB locked out. one key, one MB S/N configuration. Change too much in the computer, new key activation is required.

Are you saying that "a new key is needed once too much hardware is changed"?

Because that isn't true: 

I've been using the same Windows OEM key for many years now, on several different PCs. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

4 hours ago, Geography said:

Are you saying that "a new key is needed once too much hardware is changed"?

Because that isn't true: 

I've been using the same Windows OEM key for many years now, on several different PCs. 

Crazy, because I tried to do that with W10 Pro from my (at the time) high power intel build and was unsurprisingly refused.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

Crazy, because I tried to do that with W10 Pro from my (at the time) high power intel build and was unsurprisingly refused.

If you link your key to your Microsoft account, then it works fine. Typing in the activation key manually may not work (but I've never tried this).

Tried one from an OEM key on a Lenovo H50-55 i used to use to give it to my brother on his new PC and using the email i had tied to the key did not work on his new PC. So it doesn't always work.

I looked into the Download but wont I still need to find a Product key?

Just now, MechaToaster said:

I looked into the Download but wont I still need to find a Product key?

You can use it right away without activation, but several features are severely limited, or non-functional, until an activation key is entered.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

You can use it right away without activation, but several features are severely limited, or non-functional, until an activation key is entered.

Where would I get a Non-Sketchy activation key?

3 hours ago, MechaToaster said:

Amazon? Microsoft? Microcenter?

System specs:

11 hours ago, MechaToaster said:

In places where its "super expensive". There's always a reason why something is sold at 1/10th of the actual price. You can probably figure out what that might be.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv