Any Carpenters or woodworkers around here?

Big Boi Lime

So I'm quite into woodworking and carpentry and eventually want to make a career out of it (however this is going to take a long while but I'm 18 so not too worried as I'm still young), but I struggle to find other people who are interested in this field, I'd love to join up with someone to work with to do a little side project kind of thing but locally theirs no-one, so I guess I'm more wondering if I'm in quite the minority with this or if its just my small English town?

Something I forgot to add prior, would anyone be interested in a YouTube channel where I basically started from scratch and took people along the process of me learning and improving my skills in wood carving? I want to film me working anyway to look back and see how I learn different things and the different techniques etc I use over time but feel I could maybe make something out of it, thoughts? 

I wouldn't say that I'm super into it, but I have done a few smaller furniture projects when things need to fit into tight spaces or need something that's a bit hard to find.

My latest one is this end table which I did about a year ago:

20180225-135228.jpg

I've done a coffee table (pretty well matches the end table), and a small entertainment center over the years too. I'm not super great at it, but they're fun projects. 

I agree that it seems less and less people are interested in doing anything with their hands these days. Kinda sad. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I wouldn't say that I'm super into it, but I have done a few smaller furniture projects when things need to fit into tight spaces or need something that's a bit hard to find.

My latest one is this end table which I did about a year ago:

20180225-135228.jpg

I've done a coffee table (pretty well matches the end table), and a small entertainment center over the years too. I'm not super great at it, but they're fun projects. 

I agree that it seems less and less people are interested in doing anything with their hands these days. Kinda sad. 

I find it funny though because I've approached many carpenters in my local area about taking me on as an apprentice or something and all them have said no, but complain no youngsters are getting into the trades, WELL LET US COME LEARN AND WE BLOODY WILL BE! 

Pity you aren't in the SSA (Squabbling States of America). There is a movement underway to train young people in the trades due to shortage of skilled trades people. Try this link.

I minored in Industrial Arts Education in College, including woodworking, but spent most of my working career in warehousing (the money was and bennies were better than what I could make in my Major subject, Psychology). I also worked in several cabinet shops before landing in the company where I spent 30 of my 32 years there in warehousing (I get a pension from them now).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Pity you aren't in the SSA (Squabbling States of America). There is a movement underway to train young people in the trades due to shortage of skilled trades people. Try this link.

I minored in Industrial Arts Education in College, including woodworking, but spent most of my working career in warehousing (the money was and bennies were better than what I could make in my Major subject, Psychology). I also worked in several cabinet shops before landing in the company where I spent 30 of my 32 years there in warehousing (I get a pension from them now).

I've tried going through .gov but because of where I'm located and the fact I can't drive yet means I struggle to find anything through them, even then the closest I could find was in Southampton, somewhere I live nowhere near and would take around 2 hours to get there and nearly 2 hours back if I tried to use a train :/ 

Carpentry unions are a thing. Mostly for housework I believe though. 

In europe there should be apprenticeships for furniture.