980ti Strange boot issue... Please help!

flexwave

So I recently upgraded my 2500k for a 9700k which is great but sometimes when turning on my PC the led's flash on the fans start to move for just half a second before shutting off,

Then I cant turn it on again until weirdly I turn it off at the wall and unplug the displays from the graphics card, which took me a while to find out,

Obviously I'd rather not do this when I turn my PC on. Does anyone know whats happening? did I damage my card when rebuilding my PC? and is there a fix?

Its a 980ti G1 gaming drivers are up to date, 

Need more info. Also, if you suspect the graphics card (which in this case I wouldn't, immediately), do you have another one to try?

First, we need to know if it POSTs. If it doesn't even POST, then we have a core component mishap. Maybe the CPU isn't seated, or maybe you forgot some power somewhere. A lot of the initial pieces of information we don't have as you had to recently replace your board and possibly other components. Give us a full run-down and we can go from there.

-AH

It posts it just happens intermittently maybe 50% of the time when turning on the PC, once in to windows it works fine, I suspect the Graphics card as for some reason turning off on at the wall and unplugging the monitors from it and restarting seems to solve the issue,

Ok, the way your first post sounded was like your computer wasn't booting at all. That's an assumption on my part after you swapped the board.

You could try a different graphics card, if you have one. A few things that could be happening and its tough to narrow it down on an intermittent issue. Drivers could be an issue, but even then they wouldn't keep it from fully posting.

Something to keep in mind, most (if not all) boards now-a-days have soft switches. So if something is locking up your board, it would make sense that you have to unplug or power off/on at the wall. Soft switches only do so much. I don't know what unplugging your monitor would do, unless the card had power.

The 9700K has an IGP. Try taking out the 980TI and just using the IGP for now, to help narrow down a board/card issue. Let me know if that posts and boots properly.

5 minutes ago, flexwave said:

It posts it just happens intermittently maybe 50% of the time when turning on the PC, once in to windows it works fine, I suspect the Graphics card as for some reason turning off on at the wall and unplugging the monitors from it and restarting seems to solve the issue,

What's going on when you replug the pc into the wall is that the computer is essentially truly being restarted; it's getting rid of most of that residual power from it's components, except for the CMOS (bios settings) as it's powered by the cmos battery.

I'd suspect the motherboard might be damaged in some way, or you might have a short. I'd try a different power supply if you have one, or try resetting the cmos (take the battery out and unplug it, hold the power button for 30 seconds and then reassemble).

It sounds like the card is fine, so as Alpha said we need to look at the core components; the cpu, motherboard, ram, and psu. I'd try reseating everything, even the CPU to make sure nothing accidentally fell into the socket, like dust.

This reminds me of an issue i have with my Hackintosh setup, it's a motherboard i got from a friend after it's watercooler pump failed and almost fried the cpu. The motherboard was damaged in a way where if the pc is unplugged and moved, when it's plugged back in there's a 50/50 chance it could give a CPU error light. After doing testing i came to the conclusion the motherboard or cpu had been damaged (i tried different psu, ram, and gpu), and i never really got a clear answer. So that may be what's going on here as well.

1 minute ago, Axeoasis said:

motherboard might be damaged in some way

That's what I first thought, why I asked if it would post. But a 50/50 to Windows and then it works fine is confusing.

I always wanted to build a Hackintosh, never though I could get it to work though.

I think if flexwave re-seats and pulls out the 980TI entirely (essentially slick mb), we might be able to see if its the mb.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, AlphaHelix said:

You could try a different graphics card, if you have one. A few things that could be happening and its tough to narrow it down on an intermittent issue. Drivers could be an issue, but even then they wouldn't keep it from fully posting.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:44 PM, Axeoasis said:

I'd suspect the motherboard might be damaged in some way, or you might have a short. I'd try a different power supply if you have one, or try resetting the cmos (take the battery out and unplug it, hold the power button for 30 seconds and then reassemble).

Thanks for the responses I've finally had time to carry out more testing,

I'll try and explain whats happening in more detail,

1. The first time pressing the power button the LED's and fans start but immediately turn off, except for the RGB LED's on the GPU which stay on (strange)
  2. Trying to press the power button again does nothing now
  3. I then turn it off at the wall, the LED's on the GPU are still on! (Stranger)
  4. so I think the only place this power can be coming from is the monitors, so unplugging these gets rid of the light, 
  5. Then switching on at the wall and pressing the power button and plugging in the monitors works as normal with no issues!
  6. As advised tried with my monitor plugged into the motherboard I/O this start as normal everytime, making me think it maybe the GPU
  7. To make sure it's the GPU I take out the 980ti and replace it with my old trusty 660 and I get the same issue...

So I would guess it seems to be a motherboard getting some kind of backround power from the monitors through PCIE problem?

If so hopefully its covered under warranty with MSI and I can get a replacement 

Anything further you can think of? 

On 1/12/2019 at 9:52 AM, flexwave said:

Thanks for the responses I've finally had time to carry out more testing,

I'll try and explain whats happening in more detail,

1. The first time pressing the power button the LED's and fans start but immediately turn off, except for the RGB LED's on the GPU which stay on (strange)
  2. Trying to press the power button again does nothing now
  3. I then turn it off at the wall, the LED's on the GPU are still on! (Stranger)
  4. so I think the only place this power can be coming from is the monitors, so unplugging these gets rid of the light, 
  5. Then switching on at the wall and pressing the power button and plugging in the monitors works as normal with no issues!
  6. As advised tried with my monitor plugged into the motherboard I/O this start as normal everytime, making me think it maybe the GPU
  7. To make sure it's the GPU I take out the 980ti and replace it with my old trusty 660 and I get the same issue...

So I would guess it seems to be a motherboard getting some kind of backround power from the monitors through PCIE problem?

If so hopefully its covered under warranty with MSI and I can get a replacement 

Anything further you can think of? 

That's crazy, i've never ever seen a case of a monitor feeding power back into the system enough to give it reserve power. Honestly it does sound like the motherboard is damaged, which means that if you recently bought it you can call MSI and RMA it, or return it and get a different motherboard (if you do, i recommend ASUS), or as you said which is go through the warranty program first.

From what it sounds like your GPU, CPU, ram, and PSU should be fine so the motherboard would be what i'd try to replace IMO. Beyond the motherboard, assuming you've already tested the GPU, CPU, ram, and PSU in another system, you could try a different monitor and/or cable if you have one. All in all though it just sounds like a power control issue on the board however, i'm just hoping it isn't due to a short in the monitor D:

Sorry for the late response btw! Keep us updated on your progress if you don't mind :)

2 hours ago, Axeoasis said:

That's crazy, i've never ever seen a case of a monitor feeding power back into the system enough to give it reserve power. Honestly it does sound like the motherboard is damaged, which means that if you recently bought it you can call MSI and RMA it, or return it and get a different motherboard (if you do, i recommend ASUS), or as you said which is go through the warranty program first.

From what it sounds like your GPU, CPU, ram, and PSU should be fine so the motherboard would be what i'd try to replace IMO. Beyond the motherboard, assuming you've already tested the GPU, CPU, ram, and PSU in another system, you could try a different monitor and/or cable if you have one. All in all though it just sounds like a power control issue on the board however, i'm just hoping it isn't due to a short in the monitor ?

Sorry for the late response btw! Keep us updated on your progress if you don't mind :)

Thanks seems strange to me too, most of all that it only happens the first time but never once I turn off and unplug monitors, 

I will see if a can return or claim warranty and will let you know how things go,

Thanks again