Windows 9 or Linux?

Looking purely to the future, since last time I kinda caused a flamewar, are you guys planning on going with Windows 9 or Linux when the time comes? Since Windows 9 was announced as being announced this April, and released next April, I was wondering what peoples opinions or decisions are?

Windows 9 if it's good, otherwise 8/7

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Was that thread deleted? I can't seem to be able to open it anymore...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Was that thread deleted? I can't seem to be able to open it anymore...

Cause somebody started a flame war *cough* probably me *cough*

You should have put this in the OS place on the forum! 

Edit sorry I was not copying the above post.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

like i said on the last one :P

Mavericks + Ubuntu 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

both cause computers can have multiple OS'

Off Topic: You finally got a profile picture???!!!

Just got ElementaryOS running in a slow school laptop and now it almost flies :) And after few months of fighting I got wireless working on it, it apparently had a very problematic WiFi card model in it.

But on my desktop I see no use for changing since linux wouldnt offer me anything and I'm more proficient with windows

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

As I said on the previous topic: variant of Linux. Arch Linux is pretty high on the list. I want to give ElementaryOS a try too, as it looks absolutely beautiful. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Windows 9 if it will be good, if not will stay with my 7. Not going for Linux, as I use my PC mostly for gaming.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

HackinUbuntu machine?

Get it? Hackintosh. Ubuntu. Tehe

Planned next rig :)

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

If it's anything like Windows 8 then im sticking with Windows 7.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Unless I see some reason to upgrade from Windows 7 I'll take neither.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I've been using Linux and I don't see a reason to go back to Windows.

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

I've been using Linux and I don't see a reason to go back to Windows.

1 reason really.

Games. SteamOS will change that. Then you can buy 10 games on steam sale for the amount of money you would buy wins. Now thats productive! And linux will get bigger and more support. Thats even better!

1 reason really.

Games. SteamOS will change that. Then you can buy 10 games on steam sale for the amount of money you would buy wins. Now thats productive! And linux will get bigger and more support. Thats even better!

And with game streaming coming to Steam I think we'll see a tonne of people coming to SteamOS

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

As businesses follows a 6 year upgrade cycle for Windows. Windows 9 will be more enterprise and power user focused (Windows 10 will be consumer, 11 enterprise/power user, and so on, as it has always been, more or less).

While you have people here exited about Linux, they ignore many things and factors. The wishful thinking of not needing Windows and switch to Linux based OS started years ago.. I remember that 1998 people were talking about how Microsoft is now irrelevant is that Linux will win over. It hasn't happened. Like many that do a full switch to Linux based OS, they come back to Windows after.

It is difficult for me to explain why briefly, and usually ends up in a flame war. But in short as big points that can't be denied:

-> While one might not realize, but they are many apps that one uses that is better than what is available on Linux (referring to based OS, of course.. getting annoyed "based OS" every time, so I'll refer it as simply Linux. We are all competent enough to understand what is being said)

-> While Linux GUI provide an adequate user experience, the last it is, is polished, sadly. It says that no graphic artist worked on it, and just programmers with only little talent worked on it. Sorry to the hard people that worked on it, but it's the truth. GUI work for most developers is not fun, so another thing is missing: polish... there isn't much attention to details.

-> Outdated font rendering system patched up to try to be modern... doesn't work... while text is readable, of course. It's not the ease of reading experience that you get on Windows or on MacOS. So when it comes to actually doing productivity work, it can be an issue to some.

-> Linux software tries to please everyone, in doing so, lacks focus and over crowded with options.

-> Inferior version of software. Sure we have Firefox and Chrome on Linux, but sadly, they aren't as good as the Windows version... and its visible, sadly.

-> Lack of drivers. Sure TODAY we have OK/meh Nvidia and AMD drivers. Exciting. But sadly, we have dedicated sound cards, network cards (wireless or wired), printers, controllers, ambient light sensors (for laptops and tablets) and a lot more which will probably not work or not work full featured under Linux.

That is in a nut shell. People say that it will get better when more people will use Linux... but I honestly I doubt it. I think the problem is not the biggest issue... I think it's more at a root level, with the community mentality. They want Linux to be popular? Make it more user friendly and BE friendly. Don't be a snob, or feel superior than everyone. And don't trash and discourage groups that tries to make this happen (Ubuntu for example. In order to make the OS more friendly and essentially hide the Terminal, they are highly modifying Linux kernel, and the rest of the Linux community are treating it worst than Windows 8 and Vista combined)

But Steam OS! you say.

Steam OS is nothing more than a system running Steam in Big Picture Mode. Any Windows computer will do that, and can be connected to a monitor. In addition, Steam OS can't run Origin, can't run UPlay, which are required to play many modern Ubisoft and EA games. So they wont' be on Steam. We all saw how EA banned the WiiU even before it was out to know any sort of sales number, just because Nintendo refused to have EA Origin on the console with full control (What a mess that would have been). So I doubt EA will change its stance on having it's game on Steam for Steam OS. If anything they'll do their own 'SteamOS': Origin OS?

And now instead of changing programs.. we have to reboot our systems. Lovely.

So all to say: Windows 9.

Linux in the future, but not today or tomorrow.

I would say linux, but I'm something of a fanboy, in all cases, I've been running without windows for a few years now ( with the exception of being forced on me at work or in uni) and I've been managing just fine, I run WINE for most of the windows apps I need, I even run some games using WINE. I believe with SteamOS linux will gain more game support, and then maybe EA, Ubisoft and whatever other big names will start considering it as a viable option, if not i'm pretty sure WINE will catch up eventually as it already does a good job IMHO.