Windows 9 or Linux?

As someone who tri boots (Win 7, 8, Backtrack 5) I will wait to see what Win 9 has to offer.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

This question is a little special, not to use more adequate word. One of those systems had just been merely announced, second is in "very much beta".

I'd like to see discussion like that in some more relevant time. For now it's just reading from <insert Linus GIF> crystal ball.

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

I don't know, I haven't even seen it yet D:

WHAT xD hahaha how can you have an opinion on something that hasn't happened yet, other than Linux being free I don't see how I can make that judgement until I know anything about Windows 9...

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

As businesses follows a 6 year upgrade cycle for Windows. Windows 9 will be more enterprise and power user focused (Windows 10 will be consumer, 11 enterprise/power user, and so on, as it has always been, more or less).

While you have people here exited about Linux, they ignore many things and factors. The wishful thinking of not needing Windows and switch to Linux based OS started years ago.. I remember that 1998 people were talking about how Microsoft is now irrelevant is that Linux will win over. It hasn't happened. Like many that do a full switch to Linux based OS, they come back to Windows after.

It is difficult for me to explain why briefly, and usually ends up in a flame war. But in short as big points that can't be denied:

-> While one might not realize, but they are many apps that one uses that is better than what is available on Linux (referring to based OS, of course.. getting annoyed "based OS" every time, so I'll refer it as simply Linux. We are all competent enough to understand what is being said)

-> While Linux GUI provide an adequate user experience, the last it is, is polished, sadly. It says that no graphic artist worked on it, and just programmers with only little talent worked on it. Sorry to the hard people that worked on it, but it's the truth. GUI work for most developers is not fun, so another thing is missing: polish... there isn't much attention to details.

-> Outdated font rendering system patched up to try to be modern... doesn't work... while text is readable, of course. It's not the ease of reading experience that you get on Windows or on MacOS. So when it comes to actually doing productivity work, it can be an issue to some.

-> Linux software tries to please everyone, in doing so, lacks focus and over crowded with options.

-> Inferior version of software. Sure we have Firefox and Chrome on Linux, but sadly, they aren't as good as the Windows version... and its visible, sadly.

-> Lack of drivers. Sure TODAY we have OK/meh Nvidia and AMD drivers. Exciting. But sadly, we have dedicated sound cards, network cards (wireless or wired), printers, controllers, ambient light sensors (for laptops and tablets) and a lot more which will probably not work or not work full featured under Linux.

That is in a nut shell. People say that it will get better when more people will use Linux... but I honestly I doubt it. I think the problem is not the biggest issue... I think it's more at a root level, with the community mentality. They want Linux to be popular? Make it more user friendly and BE friendly. Don't be a snob, or feel superior than everyone. And don't trash and discourage groups that tries to make this happen (Ubuntu for example. In order to make the OS more friendly and essentially hide the Terminal, they are highly modifying Linux kernel, and the rest of the Linux community are treating it worst than Windows 8 and Vista combined)

But Steam OS! you say.

Steam OS is nothing more than a system running Steam in Big Picture Mode. Any Windows computer will do that, and can be connected to a monitor. In addition, Steam OS can't run Origin, can't run UPlay, which are required to play many modern Ubisoft and EA games. So they wont' be on Steam. We all saw how EA banned the WiiU even before it was out to know any sort of sales number, just because Nintendo refused to have EA Origin on the console with full control (What a mess that would have been). So I doubt EA will change its stance on having it's game on Steam for Steam OS. If anything they'll do their own 'SteamOS': Origin OS?

And now instead of changing programs.. we have to reboot our systems. Lovely.

So all to say: Windows 9.

Linux in the future, but not today or tomorrow.

Fonts may be an issue with Firefox and some java apps. Many websites use fonts not included with stock distros. Turning off the ability for pages to use custom fonts fixes much of this. I believe chrome does this by default. Java has a flag that can be enabled to fix their often ugly font rendering too.

Fonts may be an issue with Firefox and some java apps. Many websites use fonts not included with stock distros. Turning off the ability for pages to use custom fonts fixes much of this. I believe chrome does this by default. Java has a flag that can be enabled to fix their often ugly font rendering too.

No, I am talking about xWindows font rendering system.

As you are not the first pointing this out, or not seeing the issue, I have prepared the following:

Bellow is an image rendered in gnome based xWindows environment, default settings. This is the same font that you get in Ubuntu once you install it, Mint and other distro.

linux.png

Now I have taken that picture, and with some editing under Windows, I have changed the text using Windows rendering font engine.

windows.png

Now, to really see how it compares. Have each image opened in a separate tab in your web browser, and switch between them.

Oh I also took the liberty to fix 1 of the those "lack of attention to details" that I was talking about, on the left side menu on the 'Windows' version.

Notice how the 'Linux' one (well, xWindows, should I say), the font is blurry. And to compensate, they had to put the font larger. Under Windows, font is sharp, but you can see, you still have anti-aliasing applied it (ClearType engine) to make it smooth. To understand the difference: if you zoom in deeply on both picture. You can see that Windows does some fancy AA tricks, where you have colors, while in the xWindows one, you have basic AA applied to it (or light blur).

Linux based OS - xWindows:

linux_zoom.png

Windows:

windows_zoom.png

By the way, just to be clear. I am criticizing Linux based OS issues, because I hope to see them fixed. Hence why I toked the time to do all this.

This is not hate for hating... my list for Windows is long.

Notice how the 'linux' one (well xWindows, should I say), the font is blurry. And to compensate, they had to put the font larger. Under Windows the don't is sharp, but you can see you still anti-aliasing applied it (ClearType engine). If you zoom in deeply on both picture. You can see that Windows does some fancy AA tricks. where you have color, while in the xWindows one, you have basic AA applied to it (or light blur).

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Use of color.. interesting. Never noticed.

Totally depends on what the next version of Windows is like.  Although I will probably just end up using Windows and Linux because it will be a long time before Windows looses it's market share, (there will be Windows systems that I'll have to support).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

If mantle takes over and runs on Linux? Linux low ram/low bloat partition for gaming all day over Win 9. Possibly steam OS if it gets mantle. Mac OS for everything else on Hackintosh. 

Windows gets more invasive, with more bloat that you can't take off, with every release. I don't see how 9 is going to be any better. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-passwords-fido-alliance-trusted-platform-hacking,25418.html

I don't doubt this will be a new "feature" on Windows 9. No thanks. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

RAM usage by 'bloat' in Windows does not mean lower performance.

Benchmarks disagree. Games run like 1 fps faster in 7 with cores unparked. 3D mark scores are higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGwkS8R0Ms#t=0

No go down vote yourself. MS is a joke, and the people pushing Win 8 non stop on forums all day are shareholders, sharing profits, or straight up employees. 

I see the same people on this forum selling Win 8 non stop. Over and over again. You are transparent and the bigger joke is that youtube puts that video at 301 plus views while users are being "verfified". Snake oil...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

So, because they are a lot of people that disagree with your view you think that Microsoft pays us off? LOL

Man... I better get lots of free stuff and lots of money, to have me promote them to keep my integrity.

Plus, you'll have a warning on my signature. Including if I worked for any company I mention.

Sorry, but I my reputation online is worth more than a few pennies per YouTube video by the advertisement company that will be fired by Microsoft.

And that is not the reason the video counts at 301 for a moment. It has to do with YouTube servers syncing view counts. It does not do it live. Much like publishing a video. It takes time before you everyone can see it. It's all explained way before YouTube even had ads.

Benchmarks disagree with you. Also, Win8 uses less RAM than Windows 7... so your point is invalid.

No go down vote yourself. MS is a joke, and the people pushing Win 8 non stop on forums all day are shareholders, sharing profits, or straight up employees. 

I prefer "fanboys in complete denial." 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I see this is a turning into a flame war.

Stay professional, else I am reporting this thread.

Linux, Windows, or Steam

Some one said steam will only run in big picture option, I heard it going to be the choice of the user ? nothing for sure at mo

If you can use you web browsing software and type letter in Steam then I wont bother and just stick with window's.
For me it's compatibility of the software, be it gaming, typing, browsing or media us.
I was looking a steam being a real OS alternative to windows and it would boot into "Big Picture" as default, but you could change this as a power user.
Steam being sold in a console format could bring PC and console games on the same servers and being able to multiplay together, that the one good

thing I see out of this. as well as more small form factor PC's being sold and made, better designed small form factor case's & MATX/ITX BOARDS

In the future, I want to go down a compatible OS that free. So it's a wait and see, but for now it's Windows (windows 7 in my case)

Some one said steam will only run in big picture option, I heard it going to be the choice of the user ? nothing for sure at mo

SteamOS does and will have a full-fledged desktop mode. That said, it's limited right now. The current version of SteamOS is far from the final release version, as mentioned countless times by Valve. People familiar with Linux have already modified to include all the desired features which will exist when SteamOS is ready to launch towards the middle of the year. 

As for compatible*, alternative software, see signature. 

* Most of the alternatives I've listed work with most file formats that proprietary Windows programs work with. Exceptions being things like .psd, but the programs listed are capable of opening those file formats (LibreOffice can read .docx, but can't write. Doesn't matter though, because .rtf, .txt and .pdf are far more universal and better). 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

So, the bug with the desktop items not disappearing (only windows) that I was talking about happened on my desktop.

I made a bunch of folders (as my desktop is clean), and it would look like this, for those who wonder.

tile_back.png

As you can see, it doesn't really work well, for those who where suggesting that idea.

That good news I have used Linux in the past, I did like it, just couldn't be bothered to do a dual boot so I could play Windows based games & I'm not really into re-coding a game to work with Linux, though steam are doing pretty well at this :)

I used SUSE in the late 90's, had no auto installer, you had to manually install a GUI of your choice but I loved the fact you could move from one desktop to another and multitask :)

Picture mode is a good idea for say, if you build a steam box for some one and they can play games with out breaking it lol (less tech support)

Totally get both if you really want. Linux is free, but Windows is much better imo

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"