Which cpu for a XFX RX 480 8GB graphics card?

name1

Recently I had found myself a good deal for a RX 480 8GB card by XFX. This gave me an idea for building a new computer, but theirs a slight problem. I want to take all the possible performance out of this card while on a budget, but can't decide on which processor to go with. I am worried that if I get a i3 8100, it will bottleneck the RX 480 and I also heard a claim stating that 4 cores and 4 threads is starting to become irrelevant. Still I can go with a i5 8400 which has 6 cores (not sure about threads). And I am wanting to use this computer for gaming, work, etc for a quite a few years.

I wouldn't want to spend more than 230 dollars on the processor, so that's like the limit. 

So putting that I want this to last about 5 years (with upgrades if needed) into consideration. Which cpu should I go with the i5 8400 or... which?

Thank you. 

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.

4 cores is the minimum I'd recommend for a budget build, and is still serviceable in most cases. That i3 8100 shouldn't be too big of a bottleneck, if any at all, but if you can afford the i5 8400, that should last longer. Keep in mind that you can get an i5 8600k for about $260, which if you can stretch an extra $30, is what I'd recommend.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

4 minutes ago, name1 said:

Still I can go with a i5 8400 which has 6 cores (not sure about threads)

6 cores, 6 threads, the 8700 has hyperthreading. That's a good choice, but I'll have to recommend Ryzen really, you can get serious performance for less. Also, getting an RX 580 new is better than a 480 new, because for some reason the prices never came down.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Frankenburger said:

4 cores is the minimum, but still serviceable. That i3 8100 shouldn't be too big of a bottleneck, if any at all, but if you can afford the i5 8400, that should last longer. Keep in mind that you can get an i5 8600k for about $260, which if you can stretch an extra $30, is what I'd recommend.

Is their any huge difference in the i5 8600k and the i5 8400?

????1... ???? ??? ?????? ???? ????????? ??? ????? ????? ??? ????? ????? ????? ???????? ?? '???, ????, ?????'. ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????????, ?? ??? ???? ????????.

i5-8400 has 6 cores without hyper-threading. 

It's a good enough CPU for RX480. 

I'd consider a Ryzen based system if I were you - they offer more for less money. Intel's lineup is pretty much garbage except for the high end "K" series. 

You'll get more with AMD.

Get rx580 8gb and ryzen5 2600

its stupid to buy intel nowadays

1 minute ago, name1 said:

overclocking makes for a significant difference, but you need a higher end motherboard that allows for it. 

Just now, fasauceome said:

6 cores, 6 threads, the 8700 has hyperthreading. That's a good choice, but I'll have to recommend Ryzen really, you can get serious performance for less. Also, getting an RX 580 new is better than a 480 new, because for some reason the prices never came down.

I got a nice deal at a 190 Canadian dollars. Which ryzen would you recommend?

3 minutes ago, name1 said:

Not really. There hasn't been any significant advances in CPU performance in the last 8 years. There's still a lot of people running an i5-2500k from 2011 without much issue.

The difference between an 8600k and 8400 is about 300mhz at stock, which will probably translate to a 2-4% difference in FPS at best. Odds are you won't notice any difference.

The 8600k has the advantage of being overclockable, which if you do it right, can pull ahead by a somewhat decent margin. That's not to say you won't have a good experience with the 8400 though.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

i5-8400 has 6 cores without hyper-threading. 

It's a good enough CPU for RX480. 

I'd consider a Ryzen based system if I were you - they offer more for less money. Intel's lineup is pretty much garbage except for the high end "K" series. 

You'll get more with AMD.

Any exact ryzen chip you know of?

Just now, name1 said:

I got a nice deal at a 190 Canadian dollars. Which ryzen would you recommend?

Ryzen 5 2600 is the value king right now. Not to mention, you'll have room to upgrade to newer Ryzen when they come out. A lot to look forward to, and prices will be coming down very soon, so I recommend taking advantage of that deal and then waiting a couple weeks or so, follow CES coverage and prices to be sure you get the best value 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Premoz1 said:

Get rx580 8gb and ryzen5 2600

its stupid to buy intel nowadays

I will check the chip out. I'm getting the 480 at a good deal that's why.

I'll try to find an offer on a Ryzen 5 2600. Thanks for the support guys, appreciate it.

Any exact ryzen chip you know of?

Ryzen 2600 - 6 cores, 12 threads. It will run at high 3ghz range (3.8-3.9), provided you have a decent motherboard and a cooler. Great multitasking chip with decent gaming performance, as long as you're not running a high end GPU (RTX series) at 1080p where it will bottleneck you. 

Just now, Light-Yagami said:

Ryzen 2600 - 6 cores, 12 threads. It will run at high 3ghz range (3.8-3.9), provided you have a decent motherboard and a cooler. Great multitasking chip with decent gaming performance, as long as you're not running a high end GPU (RTX series) at 1080p where it will bottleneck you. 

Would it run along with 3 monitors. I know I'm stupid for trying to run 3 monitors on a budget card but still?

2 minutes ago, name1 said:

Would it run along with 3 monitors. I know I'm stupid for trying to run 3 monitors on a budget card but still?

External monitors will not affect performance.

Primary PC:

External monitors will not affect performance.

Oh, that's nice to know.

3 minutes ago, name1 said:

It'll run them no problem. Not for gaming of course, but don't be afraid of stuttering on desktop apps. It'll work just fine. (If an iGPU in a Macbook 13inch can do it, so can the RX480)

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

It'll run them no problem. Not for gaming of course, but don't be afraid of stuttering on desktop apps. It'll work just fine. (If an iGPU in a Macbook 13inch can do it, so can the RX480)

But can I game one a single monitor while the other 2 are active doing something else?

But can I game one a single monitor while the other 2 are active doing something else?

Yeah, YouTube and whatever else will be just fine.

Primary PC:

Yeah, YouTube and whatever else will be just fine.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, name1 said:

Yes, that is how I do it :) 

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Yes, that is how I do it :) 

lol, thanks for the help though!