How does CS:GO overwatch work? Is every single game recorded?

corrado33

I love watching overwatch videos on youtube. I find it funny how obvious cheaters are. But... how does it work? Does valve literally record every single game? Or at least every ranked game? Or do they just record user inputs and replay it later like doom used to do?  

12 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I love watching overwatch videos on youtube. I find it funny how obvious cheaters are. But... how does it work? Does valve literally record every single game? Or at least every ranked game? Or do they just record user inputs and replay it later like doom used to do?  

Gabe Newell - God - is omnipresent and watches every single person play CS:GO at all times. His eyes are constantly recording and streaming to Steam's HQ, where he selectively chooses the hackers to be put on trial in Overwatch. 

So that's how it's done.

What I'm guessing actually happens is that demo files of the matches are saved, or probably something in that realm. It wouldn't be Valve's first rodeo with pushing demos as useful features.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It'll just be data points they're logging, they would be way more useful for catching cheaters than a video recording.

Essentially what the other two said. They record demofiles which are recording of events on game engine. They have system looking for inconsistencies and anomalies. Same way more hardcore scientists research biology or space. They know what is normal, anything conflicting will be flagged automatically and checked by humans.

Its way more effective system than VAC. Which was looking for certain settings and background software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes, all Valve official matchmaking games are recorded. You can view your previous 10 games (I think it is) that you have played.

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

hey have system looking for inconsistencies and anomalies. Same way more hardcore scientists research biology or space. They know what is normal, anything conflicting will be flagged automatically and checked by humans

I think overwatch works more on reports more than some advanced detection system. So if someone has been reported a bunch of times some of their demos will be put into Overwatch for other players to review.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

4 minutes ago, Rupe said:

Yes, all Valve official matchmaking games are recorded. You can view your previous 10 games (I think it is) that you have played.

I think overwatch works more on reports more than some advanced detection system. So if someone has been reported a bunch of times some of their demos will be put into Overwatch for other players to review.

Could be that too. But they would need to have reports over multiple sessions. Because if you get feeling that opponent is cheating, you can easily convince all of your 4 team mates to give out same report. That imo is far from enough to pinpoint possible cheater.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Could be that too. But they would need to have reports over multiple sessions. Because if you get feeling that opponent is cheating, you can easily convince all of your 4 team mates to give out same report. That imo is far from enough to pinpoint possible cheater.

Indeed I'm sure it does account for salty doods on a team, and also that's why there is Overwatch so not just to rely on reports of players who haven't viewed the demo

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

nope and it takes about 2 weeks for a legit hacker to get banned, I sold all my skins and unistalled it, EU is full of hackers in whish most my games has at least one person with a ban or vac on record, even if its for another game, they don't turn legit....

Honestly done with it only way to be competitive is to have hacks yourself and use them to combat the hacker on the opposite team.