Fortnite FPS problems

Rori44

Can anyone help me please? I have a built computer

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-core Processor 3.00GHZ

Ram: 16gb Ram

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB + 144hz monitor

I am able to run 1600x1080 perfectly fine at 150fps but when i stretch 1440x1080 i have consistent fps decreases  that go to 150 to 70. Are there any settings i should be adding on top of just nvidia 3d settings or any recommendations? Or any recommendations to help improve FPS? i feel like with my specs i should be able to run Fortnite at stretched 1440x1080 with atleast 144fps consistently at all times or even more? or am i overthinking?

I don't think a 1060 can run that high of a frame rate at that resolution..

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GT 730

Attachcorethingy: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infoholdstick: 4x2GB sticks

Computerarmor: Lenovo Case

Rememberdoogle: 2 250 Gig Drives

AdditionalPylons: Generic 300 Watt

Letterpad: Lenovo

Buttonrodent: Lenovo

Aural Interface: Sony

Liquidrectangles: 1 1600x900 Vizio TV

Just now, jman116 said:

I'd try lowering Anti-aliasing and other effects similar because they're taxing on the system but not very noticeable when you're in the heat of battle. 

17 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

am able to run 1600x1080 perfectly fine at 150fps but when i stretch 1440x1080 i have consistent fps decreases  that go to 150 to 70.

Are you shure these are the rezes you are playing at?

Because those aspect ratios barely excist.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Are you shure these are the rezes you are playing at?

Because those aspect ratios barely excist.

1600x1080 is likely 1680x1050 16:10

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

what monitor are you using..? If it's only 60hz, it doesn't matter, you wouldn't be able to utilize more than 60fps

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

1600x1080 is likely 1680x1050 16:10

im more concerned that he goes from 1600*1080 to 1440p*1080 (which is smaller) and he then gets lower performance

15 minutes ago, Derrk said:

what monitor are you using..? If it's only 60hz, it doesn't matter, you wouldn't be able to utilize more than 60fps

Im using an Acer 144hz Monitor. 

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

im more concerned that he goes from 1600*1080 to 1440p*1080 (which is smaller) and he then gets lower performance

That`s exactly my same concern. Technically i should be running it at smoother frames and less frames drops correct?

35 minutes ago, jman116 said:

i have optimized all my computer settings and i can usually run 165+ frames at 1440x1080 but i get inconsistent frames at most places especially in fights.

Just now, Rori44 said:

That`s exactly my same concern. Technically i should be running it at smoother frames and less frames drops correct?

its probably some oddball rez that causes Fortnite to render poorly. see if you fix the aspect ratio and lower the rez and still experience issues

34 minutes ago, jman116 said:

I'd try lowering Anti-aliasing and other effects similar because they're taxing on the system but not very noticeable when you're in the heat of battle. 

All my ingame Fortnite settings are either at low or off. I dont think i can lower it anymore. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

its probably some oddball rez that causes Fortnite to render poorly. see if you fix the aspect ratio and lower the rez and still experience issues

There isnt an option to change the aspect ratio specifically. Most proffesional players run at 1440x1080 and cap their fps at 144 and usually stay at 144fps during fights but i strangely cant.

2 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

That's a bit slow for this CPU. Ryzen CPUs love faster RAM and, they perform much better with them.

I'm guessing you are getting lower FPS on lower resolutions because the CPU has to work extra but, it can't go all out because the RAM is holding it back.

Try upping the resolution so your GPU can do the heavy lifting.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

1440p is a difficult resolution to drive monitors at. Why would you want to run at a lower resolution when it is hitting 150 FPS on a 144hz monitor at a higher resolution?

Probably a software thing with Fortnite.

Just now, Rori44 said:

There isnt an option to change the aspect ratio specifically. Most profesional players run at 1440x1080 and cap their fps at 144 and usually stay at 144fps during fights but i strangely cant.

open up the calculator and lower the rez and keep the aspect ratio of the monitor,

doesnt Pros run 1920:1080 240hz TN panels? they usually dont cap their FPS either as they want as many pushed at any moment. 

2 minutes ago, jman116 said:

1440p is a difficult resolution to drive monitors at. Why would you want to run at a lower resolution when it is hitting 150 FPS on a 144hz monitor at a higher resolution?

read the post again, he is using a oddbal aspect ratio and isnt running 1440p. its 1440:1080

edit: 2560:1440 is 1440p iirc

1 minute ago, jman116 said:

Fortnite at 1440 stretched res is just way smoother and gives you a wider FOV which helps dramatically. It is just that i cant even get higher fps at lower resolutions but @Cyberspirit provides a great point which im considering.

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

That's a bit slow for this CPU. Ryzen CPUs love faster RAM and, they perform much better with them.

I'm guessing you are getting lower FPS on lower resolutions because the CPU has to work extra but, it can't go all out because the RAM is holding it back.

Try upping the resolution so your GPU can do the heavy lifting.

Your point makes alot of sense. Since you know about Ryzens do you recommend any Ram that you think i should consider getting to improve my situation?

1 minute ago, Rori44 said:

Your point makes alot of sense. Since you know about Ryzens do you recommend any Ram that you think i should consider getting to improve my situation?

just look into manually overclocking it. You dont need to spend money on faster Ram. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

just look into manually overclocking it. You dont need to spend money on faster Ram. 

I dont think i have a good enough cooling system to overclock it.

Just now, Rori44 said:

I dont think i have a good enough cooling system to overclock it.

you dont need cooling to overclock Ram. 

it doesnt really get hot and you allready have airflow over it from the CPU cooler

1 minute ago, Rori44 said:

The faster the better but, after 2666MHz there isn't that much FPS gain. (about 10-15) Depending on the game.

I can look for some sticks for you if you give me a budget and some info on what CPU cooler you have.

@GoldenLag I don't know much about RAM overclocking but, how high can you OC a 2133MHz RAM?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.