Fortnite FPS problems

Rori44
7 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@GoldenLag I don't know much about RAM overclocking but, how high can you OC a 2133MHz RAM?

crank up some voltage and you can probably do about 2933mhz without any issue. 

you can got up to around 1,5 volts max on the memmory, i believe i did 1,4 volts on my 2400mhz kit and got 2933mhz. (i honestly didnt bother tweaking more than that, i could probably use less voltage. 

prferably you want to get better timings, like cl14 instead of cl16/17

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

crank up some voltage and you can probably do about 2933mhz without any issue. 

you cant got up to around 1,5 volts max on the memmory, i believe i did 1,4 volts on my 2400mhz kit and got 2933mhz. (i honestly didnt bother tweaking more than that, i could probably use less voltage. 

prferably you want to get better timings, like cl14 instead of cl16/17

Oh, nice. I'll look into it more. Maybe I can pull my 2666 kit up to 3000MHz.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

5 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

The faster the better but, after 2666MHz there isn't that much FPS gain. (about 10-15) Depending on the game.

I can look for some sticks for you if you give me a budget and some info on what CPU cooler you have.

@GoldenLag I don't know much about RAM overclocking but, how high can you OC a 2133MHz RAM?

The only CPU cooling that i technically have is the fan that came with the cpu. Other than that i only have to what i believe 3 case fans that are connected around the inside of the computer. As for a budget. I was thinking before making this post as one of my friends said to buy a Intel Core i7 8700 CPU (300$) as that may fix the fps problems. Now since you brought up the RAM situation. I dont know if its worth Switching CPU`s as you said that the Ryzens CPU`s need Faster Ram. So the question is: DO i buy another processor or do i waste half the money of the processor to upgrade ram?

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Oh, nice. I'll look into it more. Maybe I can pull my 2666 kit up to 3000MHz.

had a friend who went from 3200mhz cl16 to 3666 cl12.   you can gain quite a bit from doing this

Just now, GoldenLag said:

had a friend who went from 3200mhz cl16 to 3666 cl12.   you can gain quite a bit from doing this

Is overclocking Ram Hard/complicated?

1 minute ago, Rori44 said:

The only CPU cooling that i technically have is the fan that came with the cpu. Other than that i only have to what i believe 3 case fans that are connected around the inside of the computer. As for a budget. I was thinking before making this post as one of my friends said to buy a Intel Core i7 8700 CPU (300$) as that may fix the fps problems. Now since you brought up the RAM situation. I dont know if its worth Switching CPU`s as you said that the Ryzens CPU`s need Faster Ram. So the question is: DO i buy another processor or do i waste half the money of the processor to upgrade ram?

Well, getting a new CPU also means getting a new Motherboard as well so, that's a lot of extra cost for some FPS gain.

I'd say you should try what Goldenlag recommended and try Overclocking your RAM. If you can pull the kit up to at least 2666 you'll get some nice FPS gain.

Also, depending on your location you can get some non-flashy RAM for fairly cheap.

Just now, Rori44 said:

Is overclocking Ram Hard/complicated?

can be if you touch timings (which in my case i didnt)

it can be as simple as inputting 1,4 volts (or if you use offset, set it to the point where it hits 1,4 volts) and then plugging in 2933mhz and hoping for the best.

for more input look up tutorials on youtube or other forum posts. im a novice at best when it comes to memmory overclocking

6 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

I dont know if its worth Switching CPU`s as you said that the Ryzens CPU`s need Faster Ram. So the question is: DO i buy another processor or do i waste half the money of the processor to upgrade ram?

dont bother upgrading the CPU, single channel memmory isnt good for intel CPUs either. like it is at this point, universally bad. also the 8700 is waaayyy to expencive to be worth it. 

also Ryzen 3000 is on the road. (CES which starts tomorrow will give more info on that subject)

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

can be if you touch timings (which in my case i didnt)

it can be as simple as inputting 1,4 volts (or if you use offset, set it to the point where it hits 1,4 volts) and then plugging in 2933mhz and hoping for the best.

for more input look up tutorials on youtube or other forum posts. im a novice at best when it comes to memmory overclocking

is there a video that i can follow that deals with specifically my type of ram?

2 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

is there a video that i can follow that deals with specifically my type of ram?

no, dont think so as every piece of silicon is difference. i would just suggest looking at some tutorials and then doing some yourself, only tweaking the speed and not timings. 

11 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, getting a new CPU also means getting a new Motherboard as well so, that's a lot of extra cost for some FPS gain.

I'd say you should try what Goldenlag recommended and try Overclocking your RAM. If you can pull the kit up to at least 2666 you'll get some nice FPS gain.

Also, depending on your location you can get some non-flashy RAM for fairly cheap.

Possible for you to give me some Ram sticks to purchase because overclocking Ram seems wayyy to complicated for a beginner like me. And there isnt really any specific tutorials to help out. My budget would be probabily 150-180$. I would be willing to spend 200$ if im guaranteed with the Ram being my solution to my problem.

50 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

Possible for you to give me some Ram sticks to purchase because overclocking Ram seems wayyy to complicated for a beginner like me. And there isnt really any specific tutorials to help out. My budget would be probabily 150-180$. I would be willing to spend 200$ if im guaranteed with the Ram being my solution to my problem.

Hey, I actually just OC'd my 2666MHz RAM to 3066MHz. :D

Here's my experience with it:

Spoiler

I just selected a stable AXMP profile and set the voltage from Auto to 1.4 then, I messed around with the clock until I found a stable one.

So, as long as you aren't afraid to clear your CMOS this is very easy and risk-free to do.

(To clear the CMOS all you have to do is, unplug your PC from the wall then, short the Clear CMOS pins with a screwdriver for 5-10 seconds)

After that, you'd PC would boot up normally.

Your RAM doesn't support AXMP, I don't think but, that shouldn't matter.

You'll just have to change the Dram Voltage to 1.4 then, set the clock to like 2666 and see if you can pull it that far.

If you can't then, your PC will either fix itself after a couple reboots or, you need to clear the CMOS which is easy.

If you really don't want to bother with that then, this kit looks good to me.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232298

8 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I actually just OC'd my 2666MHz RAM to 3066MHz. :D

Here's my experience with it:

Hide contents

I just selected a stable AXMP profile and set the voltage from Auto to 1.4 then, I messed around with the clock until I found a stable one.

So, as long as you aren't afraid to clear your CMOS this is very easy and risk-free to do.

(To clear the CMOS all you have to do is, unplug your PC from the wall then, short the Clear CMOS pins with a screwdriver for 5-10 seconds)

After that, you'd PC would boot up normally.

Your RAM doesn't support AXMP, I don't think but, that shouldn't matter.

You'll just have to change the Dram Voltage to 1.4 then, set the clock to like 2666 and see if you can pull it that far.

If you can't then, your PC will either fix itself after a couple reboots or, you need to clear the CMOS which is easy.

If you really don't want to bother with that then, this kit looks good to me.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232298

Hey didnt see your comment earlier but i was looking at some Rams and thought this one would do me good. Any thoughts

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VtL48d/gskill-ripjaws-v-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c19d-16gvrb

14 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

Hey didnt see your comment earlier but i was looking at some Rams and thought this one would do me good. Any thoughts

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VtL48d/gskill-ripjaws-v-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c19d-16gvrb

The RAM I linked has a lower latency which, as far as I know, makes it respond faster.

The one you linked has higher clocks but, it also has higher latency so, while it will process things faster it will take longer to respond.

So, as far as I understand the one I linked should be better.

Maybe @GoldenLag can correct me in case I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

The RAM I linked has a lower latency which, as far as I know, makes it respond faster.

The one you linked has higher clocks but, it also has higher latency so, while it will process things faster it will take longer to respond.

So, as far as I understand the one I linked should be better.

Maybe @GoldenLag can correct me in case I'm wrong.

3000mhz cl 16 memmory would be better than this in most circumstances

On 1/3/2019 at 8:14 AM, GoldenLag said:

im more concerned that he goes from 1600*1080 to 1440p*1080 (which is smaller) and he then gets lower performance

yeah I was wondering why nobody else mentions that lol

On 1/3/2019 at 8:13 AM, Derrk said:

what monitor are you using..? If it's only 60hz, it doesn't matter, you wouldn't be able to utilize more than 60fps

only someone who has never been playing ego shooters on a high level would say something like this ^^

Don't want to step on your toes, but this is just very wrong.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:47 AM, Rori44 said:

Can anyone help me please? I have a built computer

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-core Processor 3.00GHZ

Ram: 16gb Ram

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB + 144hz monitor

I am able to run 1600x1080 perfectly fine at 150fps but when i stretch 1440x1080 i have consistent fps decreases  that go to 150 to 70. Are there any settings i should be adding on top of just nvidia 3d settings or any recommendations? Or any recommendations to help improve FPS? i feel like with my specs i should be able to run Fortnite at stretched 1440x1080 with atleast 144fps consistently at all times or even more? or am i overthinking?

could you pastebin your "GameUserSettings.ini" file?
You can find it here:

%localappdata%\FortniteGame\Saved\Config\WindowsClient\GameUserSettings.ini

You indeed turn down your resolution from what you are saying. You say with higher resolution you have way better FPS and no lag spikes.

So I assume most people here haven't been reading that. Since they talk about hardware and cooling and what not.

But if what you said is the case, you just have a software issue.

Overclocking RAM really isn't that hard. When I was building my gaming system earlier this year I went with pretty much the cheapest DDR4 I could find - rated for 2133mhz. But I was able to overclock it to 3200mhz after just a short while of playing around.

I think there are tutorials for overclocking RAM on YouTube.

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

3000mhz cl 16 memmory would be better than this in most circumstances

is the difference in respond time noticable to that much of an extent? or are we talking milliseconds?

13 minutes ago, Rori44 said:

is the difference in respond time noticable to that much of an extent? or are we talking milliseconds?

No, its performance. You will loose CPU performance because the CPU needs to wait longer to get stuff sent from Ram to CPU cache.

Ramspeed is good, but dont trade latency for it.

6 hours ago, ChrisLo said:

only someone who has never been playing ego shooters on a high level would say something like this ^^

Don't want to step on your toes, but this is just very wrong.

60hz panel can only refresh 60 times a second.. 

You are right about that but if your GPU shoots out 200 pictures you still get way more information on your screen + a 100 times more fluent game feeling

like ego shooters below 100 fps is just not working out well, feels weird

no idea on how to explain it, just try it yourself ?

7 hours ago, ChrisLo said:

You are right about that but if your GPU shoots out 200 pictures you still get way more information on your screen + a 100 times more fluent game feeling

like ego shooters below 100 fps is just not working out well, feels weird

no idea on how to explain it, just try it yourself ?

Your gpu will put out more information but your screen won't be able to display it all fast enough, and it often results in screen tearing

10 hours ago, Derrk said:

Your gpu will put out more information but your screen won't be able to display it all fast enough, and it often results in screen tearing

Indeed, which is better than not having those extra fps in most fps shooters :)

19 hours ago, ChrisLo said:

Indeed, which is better than not having those extra fps in most fps shooters :)

alright man, i think we agree? and im glad. just wasn't sure why you called me wrong earlier in the thread. I think OP has a panel above 60hz but if not, you may as well lock your fps to 60 max. because you won't get any benefit from more than that