I need suggestions on what to run..

nelska

So I have a gaming pc built. I've recently taken it apart and it's laying around on my desk.. in pieces. I have a hhd, a ssd and a optical drive I havn't used in 10+ years. Literally. WhatI do you guys think I should do.. I had the build running hhd/ssd secondary and optical drive installed but I'm thinking of removing both the optical drive and hhd. NOT SURE. what people do these days with gaming pcs. I really don't need a second hard-drive. especially if im using the hhd as the boot drive. which I was. it's just all confusing.. i've run the os off both types of harddrives and tbh besides a bit of buzzing from the noise level of the hdd spinning I cant tell a difference in performance.. Its milliseconds but the hhd does feel more secure. I DUNO what to do. intel i7 6700 gtx960 16gb ram, 1tb 7200rpm hhd 250gb ssd.

Use the SSD as the boot first off.

Might as well put them back in unless leaving them out improves airflow and gives you lower temps.

Probably more value having them installed than taking them out.

I was in this situation and I planned to get a new case without room for a CD drive. Sadly my AIO bit it all over my MoBo before I could realise the plan. Ended up canning that rig and buying a new one.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

OS on the SSD, files on the HDD.  That's what the kids are doing these days.  

I believe they refer to it as "the new hotness". ?

ehh, then the hhd just sits there doesnt spin and uses up sata cables lol.

ehh i duno guys, ssd boot drive just doesnt sit well for me.. its like a weird vibe lol. instead of a hhd spin. lmao.

a pc with a ssd boot and a secondary hhd the hhd will power down after some inactivity. so might as well not even install the thing. if im using ssd to boot.

but i guess if im playing csgo and boot the game from hhd then it'll still run.

SSD fresh OS install will make your pc feel brand new and snappy fast. Wipe your hard drive  and keep it only as backup or long term storage.  Thats what I recommend on this site almost every day.

1 minute ago, JammyCreedog said:

SSD fresh OS install will make your pc feel brand new and snappy fast. Wipe your hard drive  and keep it only as backup or long term storage.  Thats what I recommend on this site almost every day.

I've ran windows for 15+ years and tried it for a few weeks and really I noticed it but after sitting at the computer for 5 mins it's the same old os. I reinstalled on hdd because I'm more happy with the stability of a physical harddrive.

Until you drop it. SSD's have no moving head arm and thus are much more durable. They also consume less power. SSD's are basically better in every metric except price.

Just now, JammyCreedog said:

Until you drop it. SSD's have no moving head arm and thus are much more durable. They also consume less power. SSD's are basically better in every metric except price.

right, enough ram and a hhd with max rpm(10000)... money is no object type scenario.. lol. you wouldnt use an ssd to boot your operating system on a desktop.

8 hours ago, nelska said:

right, enough ram and a hhd with max rpm(10000)... money is no object type scenario.. lol. you wouldnt use an ssd to boot your operating system on a desktop.

I do use an ssd for my OS, and so does your smartphone.  They're just nand flash chips with a controller chip all soldered to a pcb.  SSD's are a proven, tested, reliable technology and the price for a 500GB model is as low as its ever been and will continue to slowly drop.  SSD's allow your pc to boot faster and load programs quicker by like 5X.  Think of how long it takes from the time you hit your power button till you open google and load LTT.com. With a hard drive based system you're talking 45 seconds to a minute, right? With an ssd based system, it's only like 15 seconds. I'm not sure why you are so against solid state drives. Did one touch you inappropriately one summer at camp?