2.5 SSD vs M2?

Andreas Lilja

M2 worth the few extra bucks, I have a limited idea of what it is? Motherboard: Maximus IX

I currently have two SSDs and three HDDs on a Maximus IX, I'm retiring one old HDD to make space for a 2TB SSD.

My two current DVD-drives are not working I believe because of a lack of SATA ports. 

If I get a M2 and retire one HDD, will I be able to bring back one DVD drive from the graveyard?

Thanks.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Am I unclear? :-'(

m.2 doesnt need a SATA cable, you just need to make sure your motherboard has an m.2 slot (and a screw and standoff depending on if your motherboard came with one)

On 1/1/2019 at 1:44 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Motherboard: Maximus IX 

There are multiple motherboards with that name. Could you be more specific? Since there are many versions of M.2, I need to see what your motherboard supports.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

There are multiple motherboards with that name. Could you be more specific? Since there are many versions of M.2, I need to see what your motherboard supports.

Thanks for the reply. 

Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 Kaby Lake DDR4. 

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 Kaby Lake DDR4.  

Your board has two M.2 sockets on it (underneath a hunk of metal in the middle) and both support PCIe and SATA mode. This is from the product page:

1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes)*

1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIE 3.0 x4 mode)**

* When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

** When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operating in PCIEX4 mode, SATA port 5. 6 will be disabled.

If you want to keep using all 6 SATA ports on your motherboard, you need to get an NVMe M.2 drive (which is the kind that has an M key) and plug it into the first socket.

I'm unclear about what is going on with the DVD drives. Are they not plugged in?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your board has two M.2 sockets on it (underneath a hunk of metal in the middle) and both support PCIe and SATA mode. This is from the product page:

If you want to keep using all 6 SATA ports on your motherboard, you need to get an NVMe M.2 drive (which is the kind that has an M key) and plug it into the first socket.

I'm unclear about what is going on with the DVD drives. Are they not plugged in?

Guy at computer stole told me I had to sacrifice them to make space for HDDs. Thanks for the help btw. 

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Guy at computer stole told me I had to sacrifice them to make space for HDDs. Thanks for the help btw. 

Well with 6 SATA ports you shouldn't have to. Also, if you ever need more SATA ports you can get something like this.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well with 6 SATA ports you shouldn't have to. Also, if you ever need more SATA ports you can get something like this.

If you were me you'd get SATA or NVME?

2.5in SATA SSD as big as possible if I was short on cash and space was of some importance.

M.2 NVME (not sata version) if I had money to spend and wanted to have something to show off.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

If you were me you'd get SATA or NVME?

That depends on how much you want the DVD drives. Using a SATA drive in the M.2 socket will disable one of the SATA ports, but they're cheaper. The speed benefits of NVMe usually aren't worth the extra cost.