Dedicated SSD for windows / games

Mazaih

Hey everyone!

I’m building a new gaming PC. It will house i5-9600k on Asus Rog z390, paired with 1080ti. 

My plan is to have M.2 ssd for the build, but is there any noticeable difference between having let’s say 250gb dedicated disk for the OS +  other 500gb for games, or if I just buy one larger(1tb) and house everything in there. Price for both options is around the same, one disk just having more space for the money. 

Thanks!

The best option is (i have done this on my rig) having a good SSD NVMe M.2, 256 or 500Gb for the OS and another simple SSD for your games.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

The difference is that if you want to reinstall windows the first option lets you unplug your games drive so that you can install windows without wiping your games, then plug the second drive back in and everything will still be there.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Imo an Nvme is the best you can get for the money. A samsung Evo 960 with 250GB is perfect. Cheap and fast. It boots my windows in 5-8 seconds. Boots faster then my Monitor can turn on. With a normal SSD it takes way longer in my PC. Maybe my SSD isnt the best, or maybe my Nvme is just good. But i would allways get an nvme for windows

Thank you for the responses guys, much appreciated!

Other thing I noticed whilst browsing Nvme-topics is the usage of the PCIe-lanes: will the 16x (single slot) be affected / downgraded to 8x if I use both M.2 slots with PCIe SSd's?

The ideal setup is one small SSD (m.2 or sata) for the OS, one lined/large SSD for game and one med/large HDD for mydocs, pictures, videos and other general storage.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz