Can you have 2 4gig sticks and 2 8gig sticks of ram in your mother board

I’ve been trying to figure out if I can run 2 4 gig sticks for ram and 2 8 gig sticks at the same time I’ve been looking around the internet for a while and I can’t seem to figure out if I can or not. I’m wondering if it’s a motherboard specific thing or if they all support it? The only think I could find on YouTube was this video I linked and it didn’t tell me anything.

Yes, you can.

Fineprint:

memory will run at the voltage supported by all sticks - ex if two sticks need 1.35v to run at 3000 Mhz or 1.2v to run at 2667 Mhz and the other two sticks are only designed for 1.2v 2667 Mhz , you'll either run all four sticks at 1.2v (with the first 2 sticks at lower frequency), or you'll have to set the voltage to 1.35v and your two 1.2v sticks may be damaged (unlikely but possible)

memory will run at the maximum frequency and with the loosest timings supported by all sticks - ex if a set is 15-15-15-20 and one is 16-16-x-x  you'll have to run all at 16-16 ..

The processor and motherboard will have a harder time working with 4 memory sticks at higher frequencies - you may be able to run 2 sticks at a time at 3000 or 3200 Mhz but you may find you can only have a system stable at 2667 Mhz with 4 sticks.

Generally speaking: Probably yes, but it depends on your mainboard's compatibility and is not guaranteed to work, as mentioned by @LukeSavenije.

Also, if they're not all running at the same frequencies/timings/voltages, it might either not work or the speeds, etc. might be changed, as @mariushm said.

This should apply in most cases, I guess, although different components might behave differently...?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

It will be completely up to your motherboard and your luck. If you have a higher end motherboard, then most likey they'll all run at 3000.  If you're unlucky, you may have to lower the frequency to 2933 or 2667 Mhz.

you can, but more than just speed and timings are involved. flash memory reacts differently and when under real pressure can return errors/crash.

if you are not involved with critical data, then you'd prolly be fine. if so, then prolly not something to do.

I’m not gonna be doing much more than gaming and some light editing. I’m using the msi X470 gaming plus so I don’t think I need to worry about it being a lower end board. Anything else I should be worried about and/or any problems that may come from this other than what has been previously talked about?