Weird cable indentification

django_keyes

Hi, 

i recently built a system for a music creator, who’s connection from his musical interface to his old pc used this connection. This is coming from the interface. 

A708A6A7-7C01-4496-934B-6975F57724F2.thumb.jpeg.c8c3a529d07229489cb97210d2520391.jpeg

Is there a way this can be converted to USB through any method. If so what. And if not, how can I use this connection in a modern pc. 

Best,

Django 

That looks like FireWire.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That looks like FireWire.

41 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Get a Firewire card.

20 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Make sure there is Windows software for the product that they were using.

Thanks. Any particular type or just basic FireWire. Any particular card that is good, or is there an external converter?

Firewire support on modern operating systems like Windows 10 will be iffy, because unlike USB, it's a standard that has direct memory access which makes it easy for bad hardware to exploit your pc or do shitty things in general. Basically, any device plugged on the end of the cable is like a pci-e card inside you pc, has almost the same rights and abilities to screw a pc. 

There's several versions of firewire, but your device is most likely firewire 400 or firewire 800, 800 was invented in 2002 ...  before that it was firewire 400 that was invented around 1995

I'm not 100% sure but i think a firewire 800 device should be backwards compatible with 400 just slower speed.

That is a FireWire 400 connector, FireWire 800 used a more square connector.  I recall the differences as I had a Mac Pro with both. 

Not sure how easy it will be to work with a modern Windows installation, although if you get a IEEE1394/FireWire 400 card and the device has modern drivers you should be fine.