Epic Games made $3B thanks to Fortnite - GG Consumers

YoloSwag
On 12/30/2018 at 8:36 AM, leadeater said:

Great, that just means they can reinvest that 3 billion dollars in to making better games...

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.15ae81e20c13fc7ea0998c98ae9b17a5.jpeg

r/murderedbywords

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Kinda. They keep adding items that they know the community will hate and when they remove/nerf them they look like "good guys" who listen to the community. It's pretty much damage control, but 100% avoidable.  

Not to get off-topic but I think with Blizzard and Overwatch it's a similar situation. When a character is 'broken' they listen and fix them quickly but they won't add features like more co-op missions or a role-queue that the community is really after and they avoid those topics until they're ready to talk about them.

7 hours ago, DrDerp said:

Quake Champs and such are doing well, not great but well. It’s a niche market but Old School Shooters are still in small demand, just look at DUSK, Strafe, Amid Evil and such.

I wouldn't call 1200 players on average well. But that's just my opinion. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, Kelvin Palmer said:

I haven't played Fortnite before, it seems similar to TF2. I used to play that game a lot then got bored of it.

is see where you are coming from but think more PUBG with team fortress skin. there is no classes only guys you pick up that alter play style

8 minutes ago, chazragg said:

is see where you are coming from but think more PUBG with team fortress skin. there is no classes only guys you pick up that alter play style

I don't think he knows PUBG either lol.

3 hours ago, Kelvin Palmer said:

I haven't played Fortnite before, it seems similar to TF2. I used to play that game a lot then got bored of it.

Have you watched the Japanese movie 'Battle Royale'?

It's like that except, it doesn't really have a story, it's made for kids, is heavily monetized (although not pay-to-win), and it's free to download.

It's basically the free-for-all mode of a lot of games but it's you'd battle against 99 other players usually.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

2 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Have you watched the Japanese movie 'Battle Royale'?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but wasn't Hunger Games a similar concept too? So then you had Minecraft Hunger Games servers which were essentially the first Battle Royale mode, then The Culling expanded that I guess.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but wasn't Hunger Games a similar concept too? So then you had Minecraft Hunger Games servers which were essentially the first Battle Royale mode, then The Culling expanded that I guess.

suppose it is TBF, the only real difference was the starting.  I believe that Arma 2 mod was the first BR games to come out and that same guy went on to work for h1z1 making king of the kill, the Arma 3 mod and also creating his own which was PUBG.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Actually, I believe the Hunger Games was inspired by the Japanese one. I'd say it's like the movie 'The Purge' too in a way since there's a 4-man team mode as well.

Haven't played Minecraft yet, it became popular when I stopped gaming for awhile, when I came back I stuck to Single Player Role Playing Games.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

2 minutes ago, chazragg said:

suppose it is TBF, the only real difference was the starting.  I believe that Arma 2 mod was the first BR games to come out and that same guy went on to work for h1z1 making king of the kill, the Arma 3 mod and also creating his own which was PUBG.

Finally, someone who knows history.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Yeah, they all took the concept of the mods and turn them into full separate titles themselves. Modding actually gives birth to many games and genres, MOBAs, Battle Royale even Counter-Strike itself started as a Half-Life 2 mod IIRC.

Just now, YoloSwag said:

Actually, I believe the Hunger Games was inspired by the Japanese one. I'd say it's like the movie 'The Purge' too in a way since there's a 4-man team mode as well. 

Haven't played Minecraft yet, it became popular when I stopped gaming for awhile, when I came back I stuck to Single Player Role Playing Games.

Yeah I think you're right on that. The Hunger Games didn't seem like a wholly original concept, obviously the story line surrounding it was. If you haven't tried Minecraft at all, it's definitely worth a play, not online or on realms/servers but just in Survival mode. Back in the day it was a really new concept, from outward appearance it seemed simple but there is some real depth to it, definitely worth a play-though. Forget about all the kids that obsessed about it, it's genuinely an excellent title IMO.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Yeah I think you're right on that. The Hunger Games didn't seem like a wholly original concept, obviously the story line surrounding it was. If you haven't tried Minecraft at all, it's definitely worth a play, not online or on realms/servers but just in Survival mode. Back in the day it was a really new concept, from outward appearance it seemed simple but there is some real depth to it, definitely worth a play-though. Forget about all the kids that obsessed about it, it's genuinely an excellent title IMO.

I'll check it out someday, I just stopped recently a survival game called 'Conan Exiles' and I'm done doing farming and building games for now. Will check it out once I get the itch again lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Yeah, they all took the concept of the mods and turn them into full separate titles themselves. Modding actually gives birth to many games and genres, MOBAs, Battle Royale even Counter-Strike itself started as a Half-Life 2 mod IIRC.

agreed, back when the community were given the tools to do this.

Garry's mod - a collection of source games
counter strike - half life 2 mod
TF - half life 2 mode
Quake - ( i think was a mod originally) 
Dota - Warcraft 3 mod ( which also spawned league, heroes of the storm and heroes of Newerth) 

the community makes the best games because we are the ones playing them. companies like blizzard and Bethesda are currently ruining their player base due to greedy on money and it is honestly a shit time to be a game from my perspective.

3 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I'll check it out someday, I just stopped recently a survival game called 'Conan Exiles' and I'm done doing farming and building games for now. Will check it out once I get the itch again lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

i loved Conan exile but they stripped a lot of features out for release that i was a bit upset about :/

5 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Yeah fair enough, you can get burnt out on a genre of game pretty quickly. A year ago I started playing Far Cry 4 straight after I finished Far Cry 3, I was so burnt out on that formula and I've only now started playing 4 again, it took some time to get that itch back. No worries ?.

the community makes the best games because we are the ones playing them. companies like blizzard and Bethesda are currently ruining their player base due to greedy on money and it is honestly a shit time to be a game from my perspective. 

You're right, most modern gaming companies don't want you to stick on an old title for too long. Not like you used to back in the day, they want to make sure you keep buying newer products. That's why most games these days are not designed with modding in mind, it doesn't necessarily equal more money in their pockets.