Epic Games made $3B thanks to Fortnite - GG Consumers

YoloSwag

In (not an April fool's joke) several articles reported by Fudzilla & Forbes, ultimately sourced from TechCrunch, reports how Epic Games (Developer of the beloved Unreal Engine) made 3 billion US dollars thanks to Fortnite.

Quoted from TechCrunch -

Epic Games had as good a year in 2018 as any company in tech. Fortnite became the world’s most popular game, growing the company’s valuation to $15 billion, but it has helped the company pile up cash, too. Epic grossed a $3 billion profit for this year fueled by the continued success of Fortnite,  a source with knowledge of the business told TechCrunch.

Personal Opinion - Special thanks also to Twitch streamers (and Twitch Thots lol).

What got me surprised is how mobile games are able to hold their place in the gaming industry. It makes sense as the new frontier for gaming as a lot of people have mobile phones and would have one vs dedicated consoles.

Spoiler

1954104805_doyouguysnothavephones.jpg.7f6d91fda9123f950c544e8552b77670.jpg

The most recent data comes from November when Sensor Tower estimates that iOS users alone were spending $1.23 million per day. That helped the game bank $37 million in the month and take its total earnings within Apple’s iOS platform to more than $385 million

I'm not sure whether it was Google or Epic on why the platform on Android did miss out on this cash machine. (I did try it out on Android, the installer isn't in Play Store, you'd have to download a separate client online.)

But bad news is this report will echo throughout the halls of greed.

So good bye fellow educated consumers. These companies have now found a working business model that will rake in a huge amount of cash in a short period.

Scheme goes like -

1. Make game with cartoon-ish graphics so that it appeals to children.

2. Have known gamers test the game during a stream to complement what they (fake) like about it. (Don't forget them Twitch Thots!)

3. Give free items and a false sense of progress.

4. Make a mobile version!

5. ...

6. Profit.

What this ultimately means is that the consumer won against EA, 2K, and Blizzard for now but it was just dust in the wind. More game companies will arise and have this business model thanks to the 12-year old army.

Hopefully the 9-year olds are good enough to settle for Roblox.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

4 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I'm not sure whether it was Google or Epic on why the platform on Android did miss out on this cash machine. (I did try it out on Android, the installer isn't in Play Store, you'd have to download a separate client online.)

Google Play Store takes a cut of sales, Epic wanted it all to themselves, so launched it without going through the Play Store.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Fortnite v2.0 :D

Fortnite Season 76

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Now to see them invest into new UT and continue it's development, that'd be great. They could even add BR mode there, just finish the game. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Fortnite v2.0 :D

It might launch with the soundtrack 'Despacito 2' confirmed by NASA of course.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

You know Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, that mobile game that you see everywhere but don't know anyone who is playing it? Apparently it made $450M to date. MTX are a bitch is all I'm gonna say. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Great, that just means they can reinvest that 3 billion dollars in to making better games...

I just hooooooope soo man. I don't like where the industry is heading.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Now to see them invest into new UT and continue it's development, that'd be great. They could even add BR mode there, just finish the game. 

That genre is basically dead, no money to be made there. It's not happening. They pulled the plug on that one. 

Epic Games advertised and promoted Fortnite so well, it was obvious that 12 year olds would get addicted to the game.

10 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

3. Give free items and a false sense of progress.

This was very important IMO, and Epic implemented it well.

There are tiers in Fortnite and you work through them to get better items, and this is why kids got addicted to the game. Because you get better items as you move through the tiers and you could skip through them by paying some money.

And the players who didn't pay money (didn't buy a battle pass) didn't get good items, further encouraging kids to pay money for cosmetic items (that don't even affect gameplay!).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

As much as i HATE fortnite.My 2 sons which are young love the game. And i've actually had to do something ive never done in ANY GAME before is pay for some skins and in game currency for them and buy an fortnite skin CD pack for christmas. Just thinking of it now sends chills down my spine LOL.

No wonder epic made alot of money from it. Im sure my 2 sons aint the only ones paying for in game currency etc etc many are. 

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That genre is basically dead, no money to be made there. It's not happening. They pulled the plug on that one. 

I mean, it's not dead per say. Sure if you only compare to BR games can't hold a candle playerbase number wise. Actually even though they paused the development UT community still plays the game and makes new content on the side. Thing is they could make it great if they put effort. 

So hopefully they return to it at some point. Can't see an Epicgame that is UT like waporware. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, IceCold008 said:

As much as i HATE fortnite.My 2 sons which are young love the game. And i've actually had to do something ive never done in ANY GAME before is pay for some skins and in game currency for them and buy an fortnite skin CD pack for christmas. Just thinking of it now sends chills down my spine LOL.

No wonder epic made alot of money from it. Im sure my 2 sons aint the only ones paying for in game currency etc etc many are. 

DUDE!

WAT!

Well, I did the same when I was younger, never again have I done it... Maybe I'll do it again, who knows? lol

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

You are why we cannot have nice things. :(

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean, it's not dead per say. Sure if you only compare to BR games can't hold a candle playerbase number wise. Actually even though they paused the development UT community still plays the game and makes new content on the side. Thing is they could make it great if they put effort. 

So hopefully they return to it at some point. Can't see an Epicgame that is UT like waporware. 

There is very little money to be made in arena shooters, just look how fast Quake Champions numbers plummeted. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

There is very little money to be made in arena shooters, just look how fast Quake Champions numbers plummeted. 

I know that arena shooters won't produce money as companies would like. I play QC though. Numbers are kinda flat more or less. The huge spike in playerbase was due to f2p announcement and all that. Game is still in early access and still has performance and netcode issues that don't help to keep people. 

I mean for UT and QC they could've made a better approach with developing though. Those are the only online fps games that I'm interested really. Would suck to see them dead. 

Heck, even nintendo got 400$ million from in-app purchases from their mobile line-up like octopath traveler and fire emblem herores.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

2. Have known gamers test the game during a stream to complement what they (fake) like about it. (Don't forget them Twitch Thots!)

Really, you think major gamers playing Fortnite BR in its early days were being paid to like it, or that they felt obligated to like it because they got in early?  Also, nice to see you pushing a passive-aggressive sexism that acts as if women on Twitch are just selling their bodies.  I just checked the top Fortnite streams on Twitch and I didn't see a single woman who was pandering to guys on-camera.

Still don't see the appeal of this terrible game. Never going to pick it up. Don't like the Ninja guy as a role model if this is targeted towards children. 

36 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Still don't see the appeal of this terrible game. Never going to pick it up. Don't like the Ninja guy as a role model if this is targeted towards children. 

It's pretty simple: battle royale is pretty tense, at least if you're good enough to avoid the initial cull.  And the building mechanic adds a good twist to what could have otherwise been a rote shooter.  The best players are fascinating -- they're warrior architects.  It's as if they're playing two games at once.

Combine that with the game being genuinely free (you only pay for cosmetics) and available on virtually every modern platform, and it's not hard to see why people enjoy it.  There's no real barrier to starting on it, and you don't need to buy an expensive PC or even a console to have some fun.

Also, please learn to accept that something can be good without being to your tastes.  Remember the "shhh, let people enjoy things" comic?  It's sage advice!

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's pretty simple: battle royale is pretty tense, at least if you're good enough to avoid the initial cull.  And the building mechanic adds a good twist to what could have otherwise been a rote shooter.  The best players are fascinating -- they're warrior architects.  It's as if they're playing two games at once.

Combine that with the game being genuinely free (you only pay for cosmetics) and available on virtually every modern platform, and it's not hard to see why people enjoy it.  There's no real barrier to starting on it, and you don't need to buy an expensive PC or even a console to have some fun.

Also, please learn to accept that something can be good without being to your tastes.  Remember the "shhh, let people enjoy things" comic?  It's sage advice!

I'm sure it's a good game, just doesn't appeal to me.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Great, that just means they can reinvest that 3 billion dollars in to making better games...

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.15ae81e20c13fc7ea0998c98ae9b17a5.jpeg

They've actually reinvested some of it into supporting UE Marketplace creators and indie-devs that use UE4.

So not all of it is going to waste. 

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus