B450 Tomahawk, Good for 2700x or should I find some other board?

I was watching the Black Friday Computer Part Picking Stream and They mentioned something about B450 motherboards. I was wondering if they are a good choice or if I should look for a different MOBO. Here are my current parts. (CPU and Case have been bought, but the case has a few scratches in the side panel, so might return.) Parts: 

I personally bricked a b450 tomahawk using precision boost overdrive with a 2700x and had to RMA the board. They get good reviews though and other people have luck I just didn't. 

Tomahawk's fine, but I would make these changes to your list:

-get rid of unnecessary case fans, focus g already has superb airflow with the stock fans 

-Unless you're doing video editing or anything else RAM bandwidth limited, 3000mhzCL16 2x8 ram is enough

-hyper 212 evo is loud and insanely hard to install, get a Freezer 33 instead (or use the damn stock cooler lol)

-vega 56 > 1070 ti value wise currently, you get freesync also 

-G3's loud, rather the corsair rmx 550w which is $75 on a sale right now 

-Unless you're doing a lot of video editing (4k) or otherwise doing something that requires a lot of read/write from the SSD (File transfer, photoshop with 4k pictures etc) regular SATA is enough

4 minutes ago, Cigano said:

I personally bricked a b450 tomahawk using precision boost overdrive with a 2700x and had to RMA the board. They get good reviews though and other people have luck I just didn't. 

How... ?

Just now, ears_ears said:

How... ?

the board couldn't handle whatever settings were applied during precision boost overdrive and it bricked the board. POrecision boost overdrive tends to really over-do voltages. This was confirmed by msi themselves. I was just as surprised as you seem.  

If the VRMs on B450 boards are anything like they were on B350 boards, I would stick to X470. If the power delivery on B450 boards doesn't suck as much as B350 boards/firecrackers did, then it should be fine.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

If the VRMs on B450 boards are anything like they were on B350 boards, I would stick to X470. If the power delivery on B450 boards doesn't suck as much as B350 boards/firecrackers did, then it should be fine.

X470 vrms = B450 vrms generally 

If they don't it really doesn't matter, ryzen can overclock on the worst of VRMs, plus it reaches a voltage wall very quickly around 4.2-4.3ghz at 1.5V. You could have the absolute best VRMs hand-crafted by Lisa Su herself with 60+60 phases and it would still reach a voltage wall at the same clockspeed with the same voltage. 

1 minute ago, ears_ears said:

X470 vrms = B450 vrms generally 

If they don't it really doesn't matter, ryzen can overclock on the worst of VRMs, plus it reaches a voltage wall very quickly around 4.2-4.3ghz at 1.5V. You could have the absolute best VRMs hand-crafted by Lisa Su herself with 60+60 phases and it would still reach a voltage wall at the same clockspeed with the same voltage. 

That wasn't the issue with B350. The issue with B350 is that most boards had a garbage power delivery setup with cheap VRMs, and while that was fine for overclocking Ryzen 5, it was most definitely not ok for Ryzen 7. "Pop" goes your motherboard.

8 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

Tomahawk's fine, but I would make these changes to your list:

-get rid of unnecessary case fans, focus g already has superb airflow with the stock fans 

-Unless you're doing video editing or anything else RAM bandwidth limited, 3000mhzCL16 2x8 ram is enough

-hyper 212 evo is loud and insanely hard to install, get a Freezer 33 instead (or use the damn stock cooler lol)

-vega 56 > 1070 ti value wise currently, you get freesync also 

-G3's loud, rather a corsair rmx 550w which is $75 on a sale

-Unless you're doing a lot of video editing or otherwise doing something that requires a lot of read/write from the SSD (3d modeling, file transfer etc) regular SATA is enough

Where are you finding vega 56 cards that are a better value than a 1070ti for 379? The only vega 56 card I see for under that is ten dollars cheaper for 5-10% less performance, more power consumption, and worse cooling than the 1070ti

That wasn't the issue with B350. The issue with B350 is that most boards had a garbage power delivery setup with cheap VRMs, and while that was fine for overclocking Ryzen 5, it was most definitely not ok for Ryzen 7. "Pop" goes your motherboard.

that's exactly what happened to me lmao, now running a asus x470-f with the same profile without issues 

How... ?

I was wondering the same thing. Im reading about what it is now, and seems like an almost impossible thing to do.

Also thanks. Im planning on video editing, 3d modeling, and transfering relatively small files. so Im probably going to stick with the 970 evo. also which freezer 33 cooler do you suggest? I was thinking the same with the ram, and is 2 fans really enough for the case?

1 minute ago, Cigano said:

Where are you finding vega 56 cards that are a better value than a 1070ti for 379? The only vega 56 card I see for under that is ten dollars cheaper for 5-10% less performance, more power consumption, and worse cooling than the 1070ti

-Same cooling

-5% from HWU, vega 56 has the advantage in DX12, 1070ti in DX11

-It does have more power consumption (310 compared to 1070ti's 250w iirc), but nothing that would impede an average 550w psu's ability to do its job (no CPU with the v56/1070ti will have 200W+ TDP overclocked)

Just now, FireEagle244 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Im reading about what it is now, and seems like an almost impossible thing to do.

Also thanks. Im planning on video editing, 3d modeling, and transfering relatively small files. so Im probably going to stick with the 970 evo. also which freezer 33 cooler do you suggest? I was thinking the same with the ram, and is 2 fans really enough for the case?

freezer 33 esports

2 fans is enough, the focus g is built around airflow 

2 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

freezer 33 esports

2 fans is enough, the focus g is built around airflow 

Ok, thanks any more tips are welcome. if it didnt matter cost, would you get more fans for the case?

5 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

The guy from msi suggested that something went wrong during the power delivery phase. I know I could have just  had bad luck It's just something that actually happened to me with your exact setup so i thought i'd mention it. 

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

B350 and B450 have the same VRMs. 

Ok, thanks any more tips are welcome. if it didnt matter cost, would you get more fans for the case?

No, that would just contribute to noise.

No, that would just contribute to noise.

ok, makes sense. if im going to try to do everything with this computer video editing included, do you still say that I should go with the 3000Mhz ram?

Then I would not touch B450 with a Ryzen 7.

Ok, what would you suggest and how much. I really dont want to mess up a $300 cpu.

Ok, what would you suggest and how much. I really dont want to mess up a $300 cpu.

That guy's misinformed, ignore him.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Then I would not touch B450 with a Ryzen 7.

B350 never had problems with Ryzen 7 lul, you're just misinformed. 

VRM tier list in case you're curious

xda4pmf92pw11.png

4 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

If the quality of X370 boards carries over to their X470 counterparts, the AsRock Fatal1ty K6 (if that's a Ryzen thing) and Taichi should be golden, as should the ASUS Prime X470 Pro.

2 minutes ago, FireEagle244 said:

ok, makes sense. if im going to try to do everything with this computer video editing included, do you still say that I should go with the 3000Mhz ram?

No, I take it back. Video editing isn't really RAM limited that much (it's more CPU limited). Go for cheapest 3000mhz CL16 which right now happens to be Gskill Aegis 2x8 at $97.

1 minute ago, ears_ears said:

That guy's misinformed, ignore him.

9 minutes ago, Cigano said:

that's exactly what happened to me lmao, now running a asus x470-f with the same profile without issues 

@ears_ears, tell me again about how that's not a thing that happened? It wasn't as bad as the RTX RMA fiasco, but hell yes B350 boards typically had shit power delivery courtesy of garbage VRMs, and they absolutely do run very hot on overclocked Ryzen 7 CPUs.