Sapphire RX 580 Not Reaching a Steady 60FPS

xKyric
Go to solution Solved by cesarbg,

Silly suggestion ,but, have you installed the drivers?

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350M Tomahawk Arctic
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2666MT/s
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

EVGA GTX 1050ti SC or Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB 
EVGA 600 B1 80+ Bronze 

This computer was originally assembled with a GTX 1050ti, and ran smoothly for several months. 

However, the system suddenly began to lag on basic games, never reaching a solid 60FPS on Minecraft and Fortnite.

I thought the graphics card was faulty, so the 1050ti was switched with a Sapphire RX 580, but the computer's performance barely increased.

The 1050ti was installed in a different system, and now works perfectly without a problem.

Thinking something was wrong with the original system, I installed the RX 580 in my personal rig to test it's performance, and unfortunately couldn't hit a consistent 60FPS.

I'm rather confused by this, and will value any suggestions to increase performance. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

Just now, cesarbg said:

Silly suggestion ,but, have you installed the drivers?

Not on the RX 580, but the 1050ti was using recent drivers. 

-Discord

2 minutes ago, xKyric said:

Not on the RX 580, but the 1050ti was using recent drivers. 

That's your issue. You have to completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers and install the AMD drivers. If you can, do a complete OS reinstall, but that's not totally necessary.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That's your issue. You have to completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers and install the AMD drivers. If you can, do a complete OS reinstall, but that's not totally necessary.

I've already reinstalled Windows 10, so Nvidia drivers shouldn't be an issue. I'll install the AMD drivers as soon as possible.

Any explanation on why the 1050ti was lagging?

Edit: I updated the AMD drivers to version 18.12.3, but still have the problem. 

-Discord

10 minutes ago, xKyric said:

I've already reinstalled Windows 10, so Nvidia drivers shouldn't be an issue. I'll install the AMD drivers as soon as possible.

Any explanation on why the 1050ti was lagging?  

What resolution and detail settings are you playing at?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

29 minutes ago, xKyric said:

PC Specs:

Reveal hidden contents

Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350M Tomahawk Arctic
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2666MT/s
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

EVGA GTX 1050ti SC or Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB 
EVGA 600 B1 80+ Bronze 

This computer was originally assembled with a GTX 1050ti, and ran smoothly for several months. 

However, the system suddenly began to lag on basic games, never reaching a solid 60FPS on Minecraft and Fortnite.

I thought the graphics card was faulty, so the 1050ti was switched with a Sapphire RX 580, but the computer's performance barely increased.

The 1050ti was installed in a different system, and now works perfectly without a problem.

Thinking something was wrong with the original system, I installed the RX 580 in my personal rig to test it's performance, and unfortunately couldn't hit a consistent 60FPS.

I'm rather confused by this, and will value any suggestions to increase performance. 

Did you experience sudden frame drops and stuttering? or just low constant fps.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

Unless you did a completely clean Windows Install, you'll probably need to use DDU to make sure everything is okay.

That being said, you didn't isolate the problems quite correctly, so we can't say for certain exactly what is wrong.

If the 1050 Ti is now, in a separate system, testing "good", then put it back into this one and see how it is performing. You, more than likely, have an issue with the System, and you could have possibly run into an issue with a bad RX580 at the same time. You need to isolate them and test separately. 

On the main system, have you reset the BIOS and/or updated it recently? If you're having performance issues, it's probably in the I/O. Starting with clearing the CMOS and going from there is what I'd do in this situation.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:19 PM, aisle9 said:

What resolution and detail settings are you playing at?

Both Minecraft and Fortnite were set at the lowest settings, 1080p.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:20 PM, PokiDaSpitz said:

Did you experience sudden frame drops and stuttering? or just low constant fps.

The frame rate was pretty consistent.

There was the occasional lag spike, but no stuttering. 

On 12/28/2018 at 8:30 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Unless you did a completely clean Windows Install, you'll probably need to use DDU to make sure everything is okay.

That being said, you didn't isolate the problems quite correctly, so we can't say for certain exactly what is wrong.

If the 1050 Ti is now, in a separate system, testing "good", then put it back into this one and see how it is performing. You, more than likely, have an issue with the System, and you could have possibly run into an issue with a bad RX580 at the same time. You need to isolate them and test separately. 

On the main system, have you reset the BIOS and/or updated it recently? If you're having performance issues, it's probably in the I/O. Starting with clearing the CMOS and going from there is what I'd do in this situation.

Windows was clean installed after replacing the 1050ti with the RX 580, and I used the same SSD when using the 580 in my computer. 

My personal system was working properly with a different 1050ti before installing the 580.

Thermal paste fell into the CPU socket on the original system, and now the CPU and RAM error LEDs light up on the motherboard. I'm afraid that if I install the graphics card in the original PC, it might cease to function entirely. 

-Discord

Just now, Strike105X said:

Those drivers are your problem, there is an issue with the december adrenaline drivers on amd rx580 cards, so uninstall your current ones with ddu and install the November drivers.

Is DDU the only option other than reinstalling Windows?

I'd rather not download more software than necessary.  

-Discord

2 minutes ago, xKyric said:

DDU isn't more software, it is the correct software. It lets you fully uninstall the GPU drivers and then freshly install.

It sounds like you might have a toasted system anyway. Motherboard, CPU or SSD could be having issues.

8 minutes ago, xKyric said:

DDU is the proper software to uninstall, it is faster than a clean windows reinstall.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

3 hours ago, xKyric said:

DDU isn't an install. Just grab it from Wagnard, unpack it, reboot into safe mode and run it. Easy peasy.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Thanks for everybody's help!  

The drivers have been updated, and now Fortnite's running at 100+ FPS on max settings.

Other games are still not preforming very well, but at least it's just a problem with the drivers.

-Discord