7970 - Litecoin Mining Advice

Heyo,

I have a bit of advice to people mining litecoins on 7970, I had a problem for a long time where my 7970 was not mining very well, I was only getting about 450khash/s, and noticed a lot of other people with 7970s had been complaining thier cards wouldn't mine very well and in fact were getting about the same hash rate as me; especially compared to 7950s, even though the 7970 is (on paper) the better card. So I started to play around with overclocks.

The trick, I have noticed, is to ramp the memory clock up without adding much to the core clock,

Right now my Memory clock is at 1.9Ghz and I am getting 741khash/s. At 1.8GHz I was getting 600khash/s.

I have lowered my core clock down to 1125Mhz from 1175Mhz and all it has done is increase my hash rate.

6iUlF.png

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

i get about the same as you with 1070/1500

On your settings I get 400khash/s. Its probably down to the card a lot, but increasing memory clocks works pretty much linearly for me. The more I add to the memory clock, the higher my hash rate.

How is your card so cool? WC?

Yeah.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

-snip-

This is true for any Scrypt mining GPU.

Memory clock is king. Core/Engine clock means very little in comparison. My 290X gets 867KH/s at 900 core clock and 1500 Memory clock. At it's stock clock of 1000 core and 1250 memory, it only gets around 550KH/s. 

Lowering or raising my core clock from 900 makes my hash rate go down. The same is true of my memory clock and 1500. I think I've found my sweet spot personally. We will see.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

On your settings I get 400khash/s. Its probably down to the card a lot, but increasing memory clocks works pretty much linearly for me. The more I add to the memory clock, the higher my hash rate.

Yeah.

I start getting artifacts around 1200/1850 :( But 1100/1800 is stable (on WC)

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Memory clock is king.

You will find that higher settings may not give you higher hash rates, keep tweaking until you find the settings that give you the highest hash rate, don't just set setting you think will give you the highest hash rate.

If you can't be bothered to tweak it yourself you can use CGWatcher.