Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with older PSU

vjizzle2384
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
22 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Sunbeam / CaseGears Black Steel 580W Power Supply 

Well, I have no idea what this unit is. So I googled it. Amongst the search results were some forum posts with people describing it as junk. Those posts were from 2007.

 

Also in the search results was a test by JonnyGuru (the website, not the person) from 2010 which gave it a 2/10. Quite possibly the lowest score on JG I have ever come across. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=204

Quote

Performance (40% of the final score) - this is going to be easy. For not meeting rated specs, five points come off. For voltages out of spec, two points come off. For ripple out of spec, two more points come off. For poor build quality, another point off. But the unit did shut down properly when things got too hairy, so I'll let it have one point. One single, solitary point. 1.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - no sleeving. One SATA connector. Four Molexes. No PCI-E. No manual. Wimpy power cord. I get that this is a cheap unit, but this thing is stuck in the past. 3.

Value (30% of the final score) - this is going for $17.99 as I type this at Newegg. Folks - just let these go to someone else. You don't want nunna dis. 1. Seriously, these could be free and I wouldn't take another one.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - matte black always looks good. But if the paint is cheap and the cables aren't sleeved... yeah. 4.

Performance

1

Functionality

3

Value

1

Aesthetics

4

Total Score

2

 

So, no. You should not use it. Dispose of it and the ISO 400 PSU at your nearest eWaste recycling centre.

 

22 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

My pc is just an old AMD Phenom II x4 955.
 

My Everyday PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710, COOLER:  Stock AMD, PC: Cooler Master Masterbox 3.1 Lit (MODDED Front Panel for better Air Flow), FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: ISO-400 Switching Power Supply 300 Watt PSU.

Realistically a Phenom II x4 955 + GT 710 doesn't need a lot of power. Just grab something like a CX450 for $40 or wait for a rebate deal where you can often get $10-$20 mail in rebates.

 

5 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Sorry one more question how about this one EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -$60

G3 has protection issues, and is very loud. You also don't need a 750W PSU with a GT710 graphics card.

I found BLACK STEEL 580 in my closet brand new in box and don't remember getting this PSU is this better then my current one ISO Power 400.  My pc is just an old AMD Phenom II x4 955.  I know it not 80 plus. Wondering if I should replace it? 

 

Sunbeam / CaseGears Black Steel 580W Power Supply

Sunbeam / CaseGears Black Steel 580W Power Supply
Sunbeam / CaseGears Black Steel 580W Power Supply
 
 
PreviousNex

Product Description

If you are looking for a decent power supply that looks good and performs well, but don’t want to shell out major bucks, then set your sights on the Black Steel 580W Power Supply from CaseGears. The Black Steel boasts a reasonable 580 watts of power for a reasonable price.

The Black Steel features 20 and 24-pin motherboard compatibility and SATA compatibility. A sturdy black finished steel housing ensures the Black Steel from CaseGears will last in your entry to mid-level system.
 
 
Max Power 580 Watts  Modular No
Motherboard
Connectors
1 x 20/24-pin PCI-E Connectors No
Overall
Dimensions
9" x 6.5" x 4" Noise Level Low Noise & Ripple
Fans 2 x Silent 80mm Fans Efficiency High
 


Connections:
  • 1 x 20/24-pin Mainboard
  • 1 x 4-pin P4
  • 1 x SATA
  • 4 x 4-pin Molex
  • 1 x 4-pin FDD
Features:
  • All black finishing casing
  • 20+4 pin motherboard power connector
  • Twin 8025 silent fans
  • Intel Pentium 4 and AMD K7/K8 CPU compatible
  • Serial ATA connector
  • High efficiency, low noise and ripple, built-in EMI filter
Specifications:
  • Input:
    • Voltage: 100~120/200~240VAC
    • Current: 10/5A
    • Frequency: 50/60 Hz
  • Output:
    • Max Power: 580W
    • Current:
      • +3.3V: 30A
      • +5V: 36A
      • +12V: 25A
      • -5V: 0.5A
      • -12V: 0.8A
      • +5VSB: 2A

________________VS_____________

 

ISO 400 PSU

Description

Specifications 
• Brand: ISO 
• Model: ISO-400 4 
• Power Capacity: 300W 
• AC Input: 115V/230V,8/5A,60/50HZ 
• DC Output: +3.3V=20.0A,+5V=30.0A, +12V=15.0A,+5Vsb=2.0A, -5V=0.5A,-12V=0.5A 
• Cooling Fan: 80MM Rear Fan 

Connectors 
• 1x 20/24-pin ATX Connector 
• 1x 4-pin P4 Connector 
• 4x Molex IDE Connector 
• 1x Floppy Connector 
SKU: T6G000037

Features & details

  • Brand: ISO Power Supply
  • Model: ISO-400 4 PSU
  • Power Capacity: 300W
  • AC Input: 115V/230V,8/5A,60/50HZ
  • Cooling Fan: 80MM Rear Fan

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you can help @jonnyGURU

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Wondering if I should replace it? 

Yes, absolutely!

That thing is only usable as either a paper weight or a self defense device.

 

The other one (ISO), although probably CWT made, is also to be replaced because its  just too old.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, absolutely!

That thing is only usable as either a paper weight or a self defense device.

 

The other one (ISO), although probably CWT made, is also to be replaced because its  just too old.

So replace ISO to the Black Steel?

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

So replace ISO to the Black Steel?

No, replace both.

THey are both not good enough for a phenom 2 system.


You should have something more modern.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, replace both.

THey are both not good enough for a phenom 2 system.


You should have something more modern.

I have my newer PC as in my signature, am just using this other pc to record tv shows via WMC and watch movies on. I don't want to put no more money into it. Since it's outdated now. 

So I was wanting to know out of the 2 PSU which is better if you had to choice?

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

I have my newer PC as in my signature, am just using this other pc to record tv shows via WMC and watch movies on. I don't want to put no more money into it. Since it's outdated now. 

Thing is that a good PSU, when its on Sale is ~40€ or so in Europe. And then you have something decent that will last the next couple of years.

 

3 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

So I was wanting to know out of the 2 PSU which is better if you had to choice?

None.

Both are designs from the 90s wich will kill your computer.

If you want to use the PC for a longer period of time you might want to think about a new PSU.

 

Since you're in the US, you should look for some corsair units goin on sale for example...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Since you're in the US, you should look for some corsair units goin on sale for example...

cx550 and cx450m are both on sale for 30, and the cx650 for 45 and tx550m for 50

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

cx550 and cx450m are both on sale for 30, and the cx650 for 45 and tx550m for 50

Read a lot on this forum how Corsair brands are the shit and cause a lot of problem.  I’ll look up the models u recommended 

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Read a lot on this forum how Corsair brands are the shit and cause a lot of problem.  I’ll look up the models u recommended 

no, those were the older vs and cx(m) units, the newer ones are pretty good actually. i run a cx550m myself actually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, those were the older vs and cx(m) units, the newer ones are pretty good actually. i run a cx550m myself actually

This 50$ how is this PSU Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

 

This 50$ how is this PSU Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

pretty good actually. should get the job done at a fair price. i don't see why not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

pretty good actually. should get the job done at a fair price. i don't see why not

Sorry one more question how about this one EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -$60

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

 

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

 

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, vjizzle2384 said:

Sorry one more question how about this one EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -$60

has some problems with the otp and opp, would choose the txm or g2 over it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Sunbeam / CaseGears Black Steel 580W Power Supply 

Well, I have no idea what this unit is. So I googled it. Amongst the search results were some forum posts with people describing it as junk. Those posts were from 2007.

 

Also in the search results was a test by JonnyGuru (the website, not the person) from 2010 which gave it a 2/10. Quite possibly the lowest score on JG I have ever come across. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=204

Quote

Performance (40% of the final score) - this is going to be easy. For not meeting rated specs, five points come off. For voltages out of spec, two points come off. For ripple out of spec, two more points come off. For poor build quality, another point off. But the unit did shut down properly when things got too hairy, so I'll let it have one point. One single, solitary point. 1.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - no sleeving. One SATA connector. Four Molexes. No PCI-E. No manual. Wimpy power cord. I get that this is a cheap unit, but this thing is stuck in the past. 3.

Value (30% of the final score) - this is going for $17.99 as I type this at Newegg. Folks - just let these go to someone else. You don't want nunna dis. 1. Seriously, these could be free and I wouldn't take another one.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - matte black always looks good. But if the paint is cheap and the cables aren't sleeved... yeah. 4.

Performance

1

Functionality

3

Value

1

Aesthetics

4

Total Score

2

 

So, no. You should not use it. Dispose of it and the ISO 400 PSU at your nearest eWaste recycling centre.

 

22 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

My pc is just an old AMD Phenom II x4 955.
 

My Everyday PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710, COOLER:  Stock AMD, PC: Cooler Master Masterbox 3.1 Lit (MODDED Front Panel for better Air Flow), FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: ISO-400 Switching Power Supply 300 Watt PSU.

Realistically a Phenom II x4 955 + GT 710 doesn't need a lot of power. Just grab something like a CX450 for $40 or wait for a rebate deal where you can often get $10-$20 mail in rebates.

 

5 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Sorry one more question how about this one EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply -$60

G3 has protection issues, and is very loud. You also don't need a 750W PSU with a GT710 graphics card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×