Cupar19

so my current setup is:

i5 7400

asrock h270m pro4

16gb ddr4 2133mhz (2 x 8gb)

650watt evga 80+bronze psu

corsair carbide spec 01 case

gigabyte 1060 6gb

and im starting to feel it slow down in games (i generally play at 1080p 60hz however will upgrade to 1080p 144hz soon)

and most of the time it is the cpu maxing out so i want to upgrade it. however i dont want to spend too much money, so i was wondering if the i7 7700k (or I7 7700 as my motherboard doesn't support overclocking) would show a significate performance increase in current AAA games and how well it will hold up for the next 2 years ( that will be most likley when i upgrade next).

I live in the UKby the way as a note for pricing

thanks

...with that MOBO...no. the overall cost...would be extreme for very little increase in performance. now if you had a z board...

you could attempt to buy zboard+7700k bundle and sell your i5 and mobo...and see if those numbers got close...but....

and a 1060 for 144hz at 1080p?   I dont know...

I would really just start saving up some money and go for full upgrade in 2019 with AMD or 2020 with Intel.

CES is not too far away.

also....save the money on the monitor as well....the next good jump for you would be 1440p at 144hz with a 1080 equivalent.

1 minute ago, thx1138 said:

...with that MOBO...no. the overall cost...would be extreme for very little increase. now if you had a z board...you could attempt to buy zboard+7700k bundle and sell your i5 and mobo...and see if those numbers got close...but....

and a 1060 for 144hz I dont know...

I would really just start saving up some money and go for full upgrade in 2019 with AMD or 2020 with Intel.

144hz is only for a small number of games like CS:GO otherwise i would be playing between 60 and 80 fps, but what do you think would be the best cpu for upgrade if i got a new motherboard too?

The 6700 should be around the same clock speed and is cheaper . I'd recommend that if you are looking fora good value I run it myself. 

3 minutes ago, Feanturi_IV said:

The 6700 should be around the same clock speed and is cheaper . I'd recommend that if you are looking fora good value I run it myself. 

Only do so if you don't want to do a new build within the next two years. Otherwise save up

technically if you could spend less than 100-135 on the difference between selling your board and cpu and getting a 7700 (or k) or a 6700 (or k) with a decent board(intel good boards are almost all z) then you would see a decent increase...possibly 25%+ depending on your gaming. though if k you could get 35%+ though you would prob also need a cooler that would add more $

though as feanturi points out, the h270 chipset works with the 6700, so if you can find it cheap enough, that you can sell your i5 and get it quite 'cheaply' that would definitely be worth it.

1 minute ago, thx1138 said:

technically if you could spend less than 100 on the difference between selling your board and cpu and getting a 7700 (or k) or a 6700 (or k) with a decent board(intel good boards are almost all z) then you would see a decent increase...possibly 25%+ depending on your gaming. though if k you could get 35%+ though you would prob also need a cooler that would add more $

i already have a hyper 212 evo, do you think that would be any good for the 7700 or 6700.

4 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

i already have a hyper 212 evo, do you think that would be any good for the 7700 or 6700.

a 212 on a cpu no OC is perfectly fine, however since its the MOBO I am more worried about...if you have a tower cooler, you need to make sure your case has good airflow, cuz otherwise the stock -downdraft- type cooler would actually be better on your VRM. though if you have good case airflow, should be good, only reason people usually replace stock heatsink is for loudness purposes.

now If you got a zboard and k upgrade, the 212 would be great, the VRM should be good enough to take it on a z-board, though with little to no OC.

7700 has better NVME support built into it and also gives you support for intel optaine memory which 6700 lacks that's basically the difference and then 8700 is the same as 7700 with 2 more cores glued on to it I would start looking through local sales for 7700k systems for sale I see alot of them cheap with no ram or GPU and you drop yours in with your cooler and or strip what you need and put your old parts in it and pass it on.

if i were to do a complete cpu and motherboard upgrade for about £350, what do you think would be the best upgrade to last the next 3-4 years, as i would most likley upgrade the Graphics card either next year or the year after.

Just now, Cupar19 said:

if i were to do a complete cpu and motherboard upgrade for about £350, what do you think would be the best upgrade to last the next 3-4 years, as i would most likley upgrade the Graphics card either next year or the year after.

i cant seem to find a 7700k for less than £280 and i would hat to buy it when i could get something significantly better for not much more

17 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

i cant seem to find a 7700k for less than £280 and i would hat to buy it when i could get something significantly better for not much more

well...with CES and spring coming around, if you can hold off til then, even if your still buying used, it should shift the market more in your favor.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H270.html

if you could find an i7 6700 or 7700 that would be the luckiest thing. but....

good luck.

maybe a bundle deal with a 8700k and mb? and hopefully your ram will work just fine? though again...if you can wait til after ces....

what about a new motherboard for about £60-£70 and then a ryzen 7 1700 or 1800 or something like that for now and then upgrade that to a newer ryzen later down the line?

6 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

what about a new motherboard for about £60-£70 and then a ryzen 7 1700 or 1800 or something like that for now and then upgrade that to a newer ryzen later down the line?

Going ryzen isnt a bad choice but if you're gonna upgrade within the year. Id hold out for amd Zen 3 is possibly could be announced at ces?

Your memory will bottleneck an 8700K but I'd still favour it ditching the H270 board because as a locked board your future i7 7700K stock with 2133mhz memory only might lag behind even the i5 8400 still.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

42 minutes ago, Feanturi_IV said:

Going ryzen isnt a bad choice but if you're gonna upgrade within the year. Id hold out for amd Zen 3 is possibly could be announced at ces?

but even if it is announced at ces it will probabley take another few months until i can buy it and then another month for the UK price to be resonanble. thats why i would buy somthing like the 1700 because i can get it for about £150 and a mobo for £60, which is less than the 7700k and should be able to keep up with my gpu, which maxes out about 70% currently whilst the cpus at 100%, and then upgrade to zen 3 once its rolled out as its supposed to support am4 isnt it? Besides I intend to build my brother a pc next year and i could re use that 1700 as it should still be good for the next couple of years as he only wants console performance.

3 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

but even if it is announced at ces it will probabley take another few months until i can buy it and then another month for the UK price to be resonanble. thats why i would buy somthing like the 1700 because i can get it for about £150 and a mobo for £60, which is less than the 7700k and should be able to keep up with my gpu, which maxes out about 70% currently whilst the cpus at 100%, and then upgrade to zen 3 once its rolled out as its supposed to support am4 isnt it? Besides I intend to build my brother a pc next year and i could re use that 1700 as it should still be good for the next couple of years as he only wants console performance.

That's fair and I am not super up to date with amd so sorry if I got the gen wrong 

1 minute ago, Feanturi_IV said:

That's fair and I am not super up to date with amd so sorry if I got the gen wrong 

i dont think you got anything wrong, but ive never dealt with AMD before so im not too up to date with them either but thanks for the help, i think im gonna go with this but im gonna keep looking to see if i can find deals on other things